Episode 3 Mel's ally

Episode 3 Mel's ally

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert as a young boy is asked by his desperate father to intercede in his parents marital situation.

"

By the end of 1977, Robert's parents are near a final divorce. They had been separated for about two years now and Jeannie wants to put an end to their difficult marriage. Neither have  been unfaithful to the other, and neither are looking to necessarily get involved with anyone else. They just can't seem to be married to each other. Call it a personality clash or whatever, but the marriage just seems to have fallen apart.   


A perfect example of Jeannie and Mel's differences have to do with a single incident a few years after they were married.  When they were first married Jeannie was not driving yet.  Mel encouraged her to get her license since they were planning a family.  Right before Jeannie was to take her behind the wheel test, Mel was giving her as much practice time as possible.   


While driving on a frontage road near Minneapolis Jeannie came to a stop sign and paused for a second to check something.  A car with a young man driving right behind them honks his horn a few times loudly. This startles Jeannie. Mel immediately gets out of the car and approaches the car behind them and punches the young driver in the face.  


Mel looks at the situation as one of protecting his young wife, while teaching a pushy young man a lesson in manners. Jeannie looks at the situation as a bully assaulting an unsuspecting young man just out for a drive. Thus, the basic problem in their marriage.  


Mel is adventurous. Jeannie is practical.  Mel likes last minute plans and spontaneity. Jeannie likes routine and living on a budget. Mel is direct, Jeanie is tactful.


In spite of the struggles, Robert's dad wants the marriage to continue.  He misses his kids and calls to talk with them as much as he can. Meanwhile, Mel and Jeanies oldest child Kay has  married young and is living in Chicago. 


When going for a drive to get some ice cream one day, Mel asks Robert how he feels about his parents getting a divorce.  Robert replies, "I like having you around all the time dad.  But I know you guys aren't always on the same wavelength."


"Here's the deal Robert."  Mel begins.   "I need you to back me up with your mom. Can you do that?"


"How?" Robert asks nervously.  Mel then explains to his middle son how he wants Robert to support him in front of his mom the following weekend.


A week later Mel comes to the home on Saturday morning which is now a custom.  Mel is dressed a little better than usual, more focussed too.  When the other kids are busy involved in one thing or another, Mel asks Jeannie to come into the living room. Robert is already there waiting nervously.  


Mel starts talking to a cautious Jeannie about how he misses everyone.  How he loves his family and doesn't want to be away from them anymore. Mel gets to the point by saying, "Jeannie, Robert has mentioned to me that he really wants me to move back home. He doesn't want to see us divorce and neither do I. Why don't we just drop this and try again?  We can make this work."


"Robert, is this what you really want?"  Jeannie asks.


Robert isn't able to speak. He loves and respects both parents. He sees his dad's point about the whole family being together. But, he sees his mom's point too about the continual tension that exists between the two of them in the marriage. The two of them just don't get along and dad drinks too much.  But, Robert misses his dad  and feels better about him being around.


Robert can't speak.  He can't form the words. He doesn't say anything while both wait for his thoughts. He finally gets up from the couch and walks quietly into the kitchen. He stands alone in the kitchen feeling like a traitor. A minute later Mel walks in and angrily says, "Thanks Robert.  Yeah, thanks for that."  


Robert feels numb. He feels sad that he has disappointed his dad.  Has he ruined things?  His dad leaves without spending any time with him. His mom then spends time alone in her room. Robert sits on the linoleum floor in the kitchen.  He sits alone for what seems like hours.  





© 2023 Franky


Author's Note

Franky
This may seem out of character for a loving father to ask his young son to intercede in his parents marriage, but i try to show over time how much Mel loves his family and wants to be there with them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This seems too real to be fiction; the way you describe tension between Robert's parents that is all too common within real-life marriages.

Some critiques, however. I would keep the tenses in your story parallel. You write with past tense, and then present tense in the same paragraph. It would read a lot better if you stuck with one particular tense, either past or present for your entire book. Pick your favorite tense for sure! ;)

I'm going to read more...

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Thank.you. I struggle with that. I'll edit.



Reviews

Okay, it's not cool for Dad to take it out on Robert! Very engaging.

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

3 Months Ago

Thank you! I'm happy you took the time to read and review. Yeah.....Robert is from.a dysfunction.. read more
This seems too real to be fiction; the way you describe tension between Robert's parents that is all too common within real-life marriages.

Some critiques, however. I would keep the tenses in your story parallel. You write with past tense, and then present tense in the same paragraph. It would read a lot better if you stuck with one particular tense, either past or present for your entire book. Pick your favorite tense for sure! ;)

I'm going to read more...

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Thank.you. I struggle with that. I'll edit.
I'm very sorry for Robert. Yet, I absolutely admire his courage for not being his dad's mouthpiece however much he loves him. Robert has a sense of fairness and wants to do the right thing and that is so precious in a kid. A very moving chapter and one that I enjoyed and appreciated very much.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

You are very kind and caring Divya for reading and providing such nice, helpful feedback. I appre.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

You are most welcome. :)
Franky

1 Year Ago

Again, I appreciate you. You are very encouraging to me.
Reading upon others comments on this chapter I agree with their feelings. So not fair the father pulled Robert into the middle of their talk. Poor Robert 😞

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Oh, no. Putting the kid in the middle is never good. Fortunately I was already grown when my parents got divorced, but it was still hard. How much more horrible it must be for a child.

Looks like some poisonous seeds might be getting planted in our growing up Robert...

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

Very true. Mel loves Robert and it's very mutual. They are close. But that's gonna be a proble.. read more
I like the flow of this chapter. It feels like you are speaking naturally.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

Thank you kindly my new friend. 😀
Jennifer

2 Years Ago

You're welcome! :)
My family blew up when I was seven, leaving scars that last a lifetime. Divorce sucks. (I, personally, have been through two of them) I feel for Robert, especially, for I know how that numbness feels. There are no easy answers, here, and all will surely suffer.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

Thank you Sam! I appreciate your thoughts so much . That was what I was going for. This stuff i.. read more
Mel is wrong for that. He took advantage of his son's feelings and used it against the wife and Robert. The wife cause he's using Robert against her and Robert cause he didn't even tell him how he needed Roberts help he just put him on the spot. So the dad has no right to be mad pulling that dirty trick. Great chapter though. The bad guy didn't get his way.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

You are awesome my friend.....think you!
Azifwecare

2 Years Ago

You're so welcome, thanks for posting up and sharing👍

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2021
Last Updated on February 24, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..