Episode 29 Things heat up

Episode 29 Things heat up

A Chapter by Franky
"

The police get a lead and follow it right to Robert.

"

After Robert parks and walks to the building he doesn't see David. He's disappeared? Robert then assumes David has changed his mind or is visiting someone else at the apartment building.

Later, Robert relaxes after dinner. He's started to pick up around his apartment when he hears a knocking on his door.

David Mason stands in Robert's doorway nervously. “Hi David, you are here after all.”

He doesn't answer as he quickly walks into the apartment.

Silence ensues as Robert takes a seat and allows David to figure out where to begin. Robert knows that David is an honorable man who isn't necessarily looking for friendship. He loves his daughter and wants to protect her. However, David is a timid man who doesn't feel comfortable in social situations.

David manages, “You weren't expecting me.” He then starts to look around Robert's apartment.

Robert attempts to hide a grin as he's never been a patient man. “David, please sit down. What's on your mind?”

After another minute of uncomfortable silence Robert realizes he can't take the awkwardness anymore.

“Ok David. I'll bite. You're here. What can I do for you? I assume Marie is ok?”

David looks directly at Robert. “I think she's still talking with the police. I shouldn't be here.”

“What?” Is the stunned reply.

“The police, a couple of detectives, talked with me earlier. Then they asked Marie to come in for questioning a while ago. She told me before she went in.”

“Holy s**t. And they've asked about me?” Robert has lost his composure.

“Robert, I said nothing. I said I knew nothing. I told them I don't know you. They finally gave up.”

Robert asks, “Why would they think you even knew anything?”

“They think we know each other.”

“They're talking to Marie right now?”

“I think they still are. Don't worry about her. They have nothing to go on. I could see that. They're fishing. But Robert, just know something. Marie and I appreciate what you did for her although we really don't know what you did. You're decent.”

“David, you know almost nothing anyway.”

“I know. It's better that way. But expect to be questioned. They'll probably be around to see you. But, keep your mouth shut and don't panic. You'll be fine.”

Robert is busy thinking as David gets up to go. “I'll leave now. It's better if no one knows I was here.”

After David leaves Robert stresses about what Marie must be going through. Robert thinks to himself:
Marie is a nice girl with self confidence. She's got good sense and she can take care of herself. I doubt she'll say much of anything, but even if she does I don't regret doing what I could to protect her from Todd.

Just before midnight Robert gets up from sleep to use the bathroom. As he's still half asleep, he doesn't notice that out his apartment window sits a police detective sitting in an unmarked car. An hour later Robert is awoken to loud knocking on his apartment door. As he's walking to the door he hears, “Robert Martin? Minneapolis PD. Open the door!”

Even before Robert opens the door all the way, the door is kicked open and Robert is knocked to the floor and handcuffed. One of the cops holds a .38 to his head and says, “Don't make me blow your brains out!”

Robert is read his rights and led out to a police car. The police drive him to the precinct station and Robert is booked and placed in ‘the tank’, another name for solitary confinement. Robert cooperates completely but says nothing.






© 2024 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on March 15, 2024
Last Updated on March 15, 2024


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing