Episode 21 The agreement

Episode 21 The agreement

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert and David have mutual interests regarding Marie.

"
Marie's dad?" Robert asks him incredulously. He can't help but chuckle a bit. "Am I in trouble?"

David Mason is a quiet, short man in his mid 50's. He's a hard working laborer who always expected a lot from his daughters. He demanded that they be responsible and moral in their personal lives. David is a shy man, and arriving at someone's home who he is not acquainted with is a rare situation indeed. David loves his daughter Marie and he's concerned that she has recently started to see Todd again. Todd is a bad alcoholic with a temper, and has a hard time finding or keeping a job.

After enlightening Robert of these facts Robert asks the predictable question, "What can I do?"
Robert is concerned when learning these facts and is now even more worried about Marie.

David tells Robert that Marie's face lights up when she talks about him. "When she's around Todd though, she looks unhappy. And I know that Todd has a criminal record with felonies."

David shifts uneasily in his chair but says nothing. He's obviously uncomfortable. He doesn't know Robert, but he gets the feeling from what little he's seen and heard from Marie that Robert is better for Marie than Todd would ever be.

"David, there's really not a lot I can do." Robert says calmly.

"I'm worried for my daughter. Her wayward husband is more than just a felon. He's a pedophile. And he's beaten on Marie before."

"My God!" Is all Robert can say. He buries his face in his hands.

David continues, "The only way he can get money is to work on his family's farm. But Marie has supported him some too. This is sickening. I love my daughter and I will protect her. But my wife is disabled and she needs me, or I'd just kill the b*****d and sit in prison knowing I'd protected my little girl!"

David starts shaking from his unexpected confession. His breathing has greatly increased and he can't bear to look square at Robert.

A long moment of silence ensues. Robert asks if he wants a glass of water. David doesn't answer so Robert gets up and fills a glass with some ice water and hands it to him. Robert contemplates this situation privately while David calms himself.

"David." Robert begins slowly. "You're not gonna need to do that. Trust me. I'll be around keeping an eye on her and we'll stay in touch. Give me your number. If anyone's gonna do anything it will be me. But this conversation needs to be 100% confidential. Do we understand each other? I'm serious."

Robert speaks this with a confidence that assures this timid older man.

"I think I understand you completely Robert. Yes I do, and Marie deserves better. And I get the private part." David starts to breathe easier.

Robert assures his visitor with a smile. "We'll stay in touch."



© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Robert seems to be bonding with Marie's Dad. Going by his past track record, there was a chilling undercurrent to it. It will be very interesting to see where it goes. There could be deception and intrigue. I had really enjoyed this story so far. I hope you are in the process of concluding it satisfactorily...

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

5 Months Ago

Thank you my dear younger sister. I always enjoy your thoughts. I am going to make myself write .. read more
DIVYA

5 Months Ago

I'll be here, cheering you. You go dear Bro!



Reviews

Robert seems to be bonding with Marie's Dad. Going by his past track record, there was a chilling undercurrent to it. It will be very interesting to see where it goes. There could be deception and intrigue. I had really enjoyed this story so far. I hope you are in the process of concluding it satisfactorily...

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

5 Months Ago

Thank you my dear younger sister. I always enjoy your thoughts. I am going to make myself write .. read more
DIVYA

5 Months Ago

I'll be here, cheering you. You go dear Bro!
He's an undercover cop! Maybe...

Posted 9 Months Ago


Franky

5 Months Ago

Lol. I never thought of that.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 22, 2023
Last Updated on June 22, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing