Episode 10 Mel faces the reality of his situation.

Episode 10 Mel faces the reality of his situation.

A Chapter by Franky
"

Mel realizes he needs to get additional help for his alcoholism.

"

Two days later, Robert gets a phone call from his older sister Susan.  


"Robert, dad seems to have really been struggling recently. I guess he was even drinking again if you can believe that!  I went to see him and he said he's gonna check back into the mental health unit again in Anoka. It's best for him I think. I know that we in particular very much want him to get better. They told him he can come back to complete his 6 month commitment."


"Ok Sue. Thanks for the update."  Robert doesn't know what else to say. He assumes this conversation is over but Susan asks him something. 


"Robert, did you tell dad to get more help?"


"What?"


"Dad was very worried about you when he and I talked."


"Ah, ok."  Robert says quietly. He feels that he went too far in his confrontation with dad.   


"He loves you Robert, as you know.  He doesn't want to lose you."


"He said that?"   


"Yes little brother. He did. And he wants to make it work this time."   Sue sounds convinced.  "I mean, he has little choice after all. He has really nowhere else to go right now."


"God I hope so Sue. I really do. But, I gotta go Sue.  Thanks for the call. Goodnight."


Robert didn't really need to end the conversation so quickly.  He was just feeling very uncomfortable.


Early the next morning, Robert's mom Jeanie told him while eating breakfast that Mel had talked to her and that he was going back into the mental health center for at least 45 more days. 


Apparently, he doesn't want to call me right now. 


Since Robert doesn't have to work today, he decides to call Jennifer, a girl from work. He asks her if she's free for lunch or a hike later on.  She agrees and the two spend most of the day together.  Being with a friendly, young lady like Jennifer helps to get Robert to not dwell on this situation. He's been friends with her since the eleventh grade. 


The next few months of the summer of 1985 show Robert working a lot of hours, mowing a lot of grass, smoking a lot of grass with friends, and sowing oats with some very willing young women.


In mid July Robert calls the mental health center where Mel has been getting treatment. When he asks about his dad, surprisingly the counselor on the line hands the phone to Mel himself.


"Hey buddy!   How are you?"  Mel sounds healthy and strong.   


Robert is relieved to hear that his dad sounds great.  No anger.  No despair.  No complaining.  Their conversation ends with Robert agreeing to pick up Mel later that same day.  Mel, with the assistance of a social worker, has found a small, affordable apartment in the city of Plymouth.  Mel plans on starting his own tax preparation business right out of his new home.  


Robert, with the assistance of some family members, moves Mel into this new apartment.  Mel is very appreciative and genuinely appears to be himself for the first time in a long while.  An emotional Robert hugs his dad and tells him he loves him right before he leaves.  


Robert knows that Mel will be facing an uphill battle with his alcoholism, but he decides that daily, positive contact with dad could be very helpful for both father and son.  But Robert realizes that a priority that can't be minimized in this situation is for him to be strong enough to actually protect the family if dad decides to start drinking again.  








© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It was pleasantly surprising to read how well and gracefully Mel has dealt with his situation. Since he is living alone, it's nice of Robert to decide to stay in touch with him everyday.

There's a hopelessness about addicts. Once an addict, always an addict. They keep fighting the battle all their lives. Some survive, most die with it. Your story brings out that aspect of addiction beautifully.

Robert is living quite a life now. All grown up, smoking weed and sowing his oats. I hope he doesn't get addicted, inadevertently, to anything. It will be interesting to watch.

Another interesting chapter Frankie! Loved it.


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you my friend. Robert doesn't become an addict in the story. And Mel never drinks again. B.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

It was my pleasure absolutely, dear Frankie and I am hooked to the story totally. I hope to read of .. read more



Reviews

Perhaps he needs to join AA and get himself a sponsor, so he can be held accountable. Just sayin'...

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

I'm so glad I'm evoking thoughts and feelings. That's the goal.
It was pleasantly surprising to read how well and gracefully Mel has dealt with his situation. Since he is living alone, it's nice of Robert to decide to stay in touch with him everyday.

There's a hopelessness about addicts. Once an addict, always an addict. They keep fighting the battle all their lives. Some survive, most die with it. Your story brings out that aspect of addiction beautifully.

Robert is living quite a life now. All grown up, smoking weed and sowing his oats. I hope he doesn't get addicted, inadevertently, to anything. It will be interesting to watch.

Another interesting chapter Frankie! Loved it.


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you my friend. Robert doesn't become an addict in the story. And Mel never drinks again. B.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

It was my pleasure absolutely, dear Frankie and I am hooked to the story totally. I hope to read of .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2023
Last Updated on March 8, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing