Episode 7  Mrs Whitfield

Episode 7 Mrs Whitfield

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert faces a very interested female high school teacher.

"
In late December of 1982, Robert's mother Jean tells him after school one day that Tiki was going to see the doctor. Tika was 12 and was the family's Corgi.

"She just hasn't been herself lately."

Robert was a junior in high school and a busy young man. In addition to his regular college prep classes and band, he was working several nights per week at a Target store.

The next night when Robert came home from school he was consumed with thinking about getting his homework done, and then eating a large meal. But Robert's mother asks her teenage kids to join her for a minute to talk.

"I had to put Tiki down today. She had had a stroke and was anemic. She'd also had kidney failure. There was no other choice to make. She was an old dog. I know we all loved her. I'm sorry."

Robert thought, Oh my God! I've had her since I was five years old! She was so pretty! I can't believe I'm thinking of her in the past tense!

That first night was hard. For years the whole family had helped take care of Tiki. She would normally sleep in Jeannie's room though. She was a smart dog who was very much loved, and she returned that love unconditionally.

The next day at school was not easy. Losing a beloved dog is awful. Robert appreciates how Tiki would sleep on the couch with him when he was sick.

This is the first year that I've been at school when Tiki isn't going to be waiting for me when I get home wagging her tail.

After lunch at school, Robert had a social studies class called Developing Areas. It was a class that studied other countries that were starting to really develop economically or politically. The instructor was an experienced teacher by the name of Sharon Whitfield. Mrs Whitfield was a dark haired, thin, plain looking, quirky woman of about 40 years old.

Robert liked Mrs Whitfield's kindness and people skills. He didn't know her well yet, but she seemed to care about her students a great deal and showed that with an empathetic voice and manner.

Robert showed up for class a few minutes early the day after Tiki died. He walked into class and Mrs Whitfield was the only in class sitting alone at her desk. Robert told her about Tiki. He said, "I've had that dog since Kindergarten." Mrs Whitfield, as expected, was kind and caring. "I'm so sorry Robert. I understand though. I love my pets too. They become part of the family."

A week later, Mrs Whitfield assigned the most challenging and longest report of the first semester. A typed essay on a developing country of the students choice. These would have to be pre-approved of course, and after being graded students would have to present their information to the entire class.

Typed? Oh great. I can't type!

Robert cautiously approaches Mrs Whitfield's desk right after class.

"Is there any way at all that I can just hand-write the assignment since I can't type? I've never taken a typing class, and I, ummm, promise to write neatly. I promise."

After looking carefully at Robert for what seemed like five minutes, Mrs Whitfield replied. "Ok. But this is between us. Do not tell anyone else in class. I know you've been through a lot lately. Everyone else is required to type their assignment. I expect a neat handwriting young man. Can we agree to this?"

Robert smiles and thanks his teacher a few times. "You're awesome Mrs Whitfield."

Robert was very surprised to get this permission. He couldn't help notice that Mrs Whitfield had been more personable with him lately.

Robert gets going on his research report right away. He tries especially hard to write neatly. He turns in his paper on Brazil the day it is due.

A few days later, Robert, who sits in the back of the classroom, is chatting with Angie. Angie sits in the row to Robert’s right side. No students sit in the desks in front of him. Robert is interested in Angie. He thinks she might have a boyfriend already, but he likes her and hopes to get to know her better.

Quite unexpectedly, in the last few minutes of class, Mrs Whitfield sits down in front of Robert. She sat backwards on the desk in front of him to face him. This catches his attention which had been focussed on Angie's beautiful face and smile.

"So Robert…." Mrs Whitfield began. "I graded your report. Very nice job." Then she smiled seductively. "I was able to read it too."

Umm. Does she not know that other students are around?

"You write hard on your paper." She continues looking intently at him..

"I do what?" Robert asked.

He starts to feel his face burn and a sense of embarrassment coming over him. He is getting more female attention from a woman older than his mother than he is from Angie. Robert hopes the bell will quickly ring so he can leave.

Mrs Whitfield then reached out and touched Roberts hands and forearms. "You're a strong guy Robert. I'm surprised you don't just break all your pens when you write. You press down so hard." Robert sees that other students are noticing this awkward exchange.

When the bell mercifully rings a minute later, Robert quickly gets up to leave. He notices that Mrs Whitfield doesn't dismiss the students, nor does she wish them a nice weekend as it is the last class of the day on that Friday. She just says quietly to Robert, "You're gonna leave then." She looks down to the floor.

Robert spends the rest of first semester avoiding contact with her. He wants the end of this semester, January 24th, to come as soon as possible. No one in this class subsequently says anything to him about his odd contact with his social studies teacher.

Robert is relieved when the second semester starts and he has new classes to attend. He rarely sees Mrs Whitfield anymore since the high school is a large building with three floors. Robert avoids going near Mrs Whitfield's wing on the second floor.

At the end of May when school is getting out for the year, Robert catches up with Kenny, his friend he has known for several years. The last day of semester two is nearly done. What a relief! He can sleep in now most days and more fully enjoy the summer weather. He is starting to think of making college visits over the summer.

Kenny and Robert were thrilled that it was the last day of school, and Robert suggested they go out for lunch since it was only a half day. Robert had a car and offered to drive Kenny home afterwards. They planned on going to the taco place.

Kenny says, "Before we leave school I just need to drop off my final report to my teacher. Then I'm done!" Robert follows Kenny as they talk about how hungry they are for lunch. Robert quickly becomes uneasy as Kenny walks toward Mrs Whitefield's classroom. Robert stays in the hallway as Kenny turns in his assignment.

Robert feels tension build as Mrs Whitfield follows Kenny out of her classroom. When she saw Robert she loudly said, "Well, well, well! There he is! Robert! You've been actively avoiding me lately haven't you? Have you missed your favorite teacher?" She said this with a degree of sarcasm.

Robert says nothing.

"Oh. Ok. Well I guess you don't like me anymore so I'll just stop harassing you." She rolls her eyes as she turns back to Kenny.

Robert notices the two of them share a knowing look, and is not even surprised when Kenny gives Mrs Whitfield a warm hug. Then Kenny kissed her on the cheek and said, "I'll see you around Mrs Whitfield."

"Bye bye sweetie." She says, smiling brightly.

Holy crap!

As the two boys walk quietly out of school to the parking lot, Robert finally asks his friend disgustedly, "Have you slept with her?"

Kenny smiles widely , "We never did much sleeping when we were together buddy." Kenny laughs out loud as they reach Robert's car.

Robert looks down in the driver's seat and murmurs quietly, "I think I just lost my appetite."



© 2022 Franky


Author's Note

Franky
What do you think of Mrs Whitfield?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think Mrs. Whitfield is a criminal and should be incarcerated for at least 20 years for corrupting the morals of a minor. Why wasn't she reported and why was no action taken against her? Robert has great self preservation instincts and he saved himself from being scarred. I feel sorry for Kenny. His is going to be a dark life. A story that evokes very strong feelings in your reader.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

I'm so glad this evoked strong feeling. Although it's a fictional story, this stuff really happens.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

Always here. Keep posting Frankie. :)



Reviews

Another one of those evil female pedophiles. Ekk.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

This teacher has no boundaries. Yuk.
I think Mrs. Whitfield is a criminal and should be incarcerated for at least 20 years for corrupting the morals of a minor. Why wasn't she reported and why was no action taken against her? Robert has great self preservation instincts and he saved himself from being scarred. I feel sorry for Kenny. His is going to be a dark life. A story that evokes very strong feelings in your reader.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

I'm so glad this evoked strong feeling. Although it's a fictional story, this stuff really happens.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

Always here. Keep posting Frankie. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2022
Last Updated on May 20, 2022


Author

Franky
Franky

MN



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. I used to be with writerscafe from about 2009 to.. more..

Writing