Episode 20. An awkward conversation

Episode 20. An awkward conversation

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert meets a future ally.

"

The next week Robert stops by Marie's shoe store to say hello. He's very curious as to what's happening between Marie and Todd, but he doesn't want to be pushy. He's started to care for Marie and he wants to keep in contact with her, but he respects that she's still a married woman.

When seeing her working at the front of the store he notices a lack of interest from her. He greets her apprehensively with a "Hello."

"Hey Robert. What ya doin?" Marie barely makes eye contact.

"Nothing much. Just thought I'd say hello. How's your day been?"

"Well, we are just trying to get this promotion all setup. It's a lot of work. Price tagging, signage, rack planning, and I'm training someone too."

"Oh ok. That's cool." Robert feels the awkwardness. "I hope things are good with you."

Silence ensues as Marie continues pricing new shoes and she becomes aware of customers walking in the store.

"Hey, you know what? I'll let you go Marie. You're super busy. I just wanted to say hi. Have a good rest of the week though."

Marie finally looks up at him. "Oh, you gotta go?"

"Yeah, I should get home and make myself some dinner."

"Ok. Well thanks for stopping by." Marie flashes him a smile.

As Robert leaves the store and heads for the exit doors of the mall, he can't get away from this situation fast enough. He likes her and wants there to be more with Marie, but obviously it appears she's backed off a little. He's feeling hurt too.

She's probably back with Todd. Maybe they're trying to make it work. Do I come back next week too, or should I just back off?

"Hey Robert!" He's startled to turn around and see Marie following him to the doors.

"Robert, I'm sorry. That was rude."

"Hey, that's ok." Robert is surprised.

"It's nice to see you Robert. You're a great guy."

After a moment he continues, "Don't you have customers right now?"

"Patty is working with me today. She's pretty good. I think she can handle herself. " Marie smiles at that thought.

Then Marie speaks quietly. "Thanks for stopping by Robert. It's always nice seeing you. I hope you'll stop by again."

He notices she appears sad, even a little emotional.

"Ok, yeah. We'll see each other again I'm sure. I just don't want to cause problems Marie."

"Robert, you're fine. Ok?"

"Ok. Good. See you soon I hope. But you need to get back to the store."

They share a smile as Robert heads out the exit doors.

I have no idea what this means. Does she ever want to see me again? Does she just feel sorry for me? She seems so down and that isn't the Marie I know. Are there problems with Todd?

The next evening when Robert is home working on his computer he hears a knock on his door. Standing in his doorway is an older man, likely in his 50's at least. He's mostly bald and is wearing work clothes. Robert's never seen him before. The man does not appear friendly, and this causes Robert some apprehension.

"Can I help you?" He initially assumes that this rather timid looking man might be having car trouble, or need to use a phone.

"Are you Robert Martin?"

Robert is taken aback and doesn't answer.

"I'm David Mason. Can I come in for a minute?"

"What do you want?" Robert asks seriously.

"I'm Marie's dad. I'd like to talk to you for a minute."







© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I sense an undercurrent in this chapter. The stage is being set for greater revelations and events perhaps. Interesting that Marie seems cooled off. So disappointing and sad yet its an arduous and long road, really getting to know people and what makes them tick. They can really shock you sometimes. The unexpected visitor is exciting to read and I look forward to the next chapter. Well done bro. Kudos!

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Thank you so much Divya .....

You are right. There is an under current here.
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

Looking forward to the next chapter.



Reviews

Is he a cop? or just a concerned father? The tension builds... :)

Posted 9 Months Ago


I sense an undercurrent in this chapter. The stage is being set for greater revelations and events perhaps. Interesting that Marie seems cooled off. So disappointing and sad yet its an arduous and long road, really getting to know people and what makes them tick. They can really shock you sometimes. The unexpected visitor is exciting to read and I look forward to the next chapter. Well done bro. Kudos!

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Thank you so much Divya .....

You are right. There is an under current here.
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2023
Last Updated on June 22, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing