Episode 9.  Garcia's Bar and Restaurant

Episode 9. Garcia's Bar and Restaurant

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert gets a strange call from Mel who needs help.

"

In late May of 1985, when Robert returns from his first year of college in Ely, he feels as if he has been gone for years. He's mostly stayed away from home for that school year, instead making himself scarce by concentrating on his college classes and making friends.

At home now, Roberts is ready to get back to work at Target. He's missed working, and definitely the paychecks. He's planning on staying local next school year by living at home with his mom, attending classes at the University of Minnesota, and hopefully avoiding any family drama.

A week after returning home, Robert gets a phone call from Mel. "Hey Robert! Good to hear your voice buddy. How are things?" Roberts feels a strange sensation of dread, fear, and apprehension. He's happy to hear his dad's voice but he is worried there will be a guilt trip concerning the commitment. This is their first conversation in ten months.

"Hi dad."

Mel pauses, then continues. "How's your car running?"

"It's great dad. Thank you for getting it fixed. It's nice. I love it."

"I'm proud of you. I heard you got good grades and passed all your college classes. That's great!"

"Thanks. How are you dad?"

"Hey Robert. I need a favor."

"What's up Dad?" Robert has a sinking feeling since Mel once again doesn't quite sound like himself. He sounds weak.His voice seems to be fluctuating, and Robert hears other voices in the background.

Mel asks quietly. "Would you please pick me up at Clarke's Submarine Sandwiches?"

"Huh?" Robert is surprised by the question. He wonders how his dad got to the sandwich shop.

"Doesn't your car start?" Robert is starting to worry now.

Mel speaks slowly. "Robby, I need you to come get me. I need to go home now. I'm at Clarke's. You've been there before right?"

"Of course dad. I've been there, several times. I'll be right there."

"Thanks buddy. I'll be waiting."

Robert is partly pleased that he can be there to help his dad. It's normally been the other way around. But why would dad be randomly at a sandwich shop? How did he get there?

Robert arrives at Clarke's Submarine Sandwich Shop about ten minutes after hanging up the phone. He doesn't see Mel anywhere. He assumes his dad is still in the restaurant so he enters and looks around but doesn't find him.
Robert is thinking, He didn't sound right. He was slurring his speech and didn't sound very sharp. I wonder if he's actually across Excelsior Blvd at one of the bars over there.

Robert leaves the sandwich shop and looks across the street at Garcia's Bar and Restaurant. There's Dad! He sees Mel standing outside the bar with another man who's about the same age. They appear to be laughing.

Robert feels intense frustration boiling up inside. This is a shock to see since he had heard how well dad has been doing. And now, dad's lying to me.

Robert drives across Excelsior to where his dad is standing. The other man, who is clearly drunk, approaches and says with a grin, "So you're Mel's boy?"

Robert, who is no longer the son his dad knows, glares at the man and doesn't answer him. The drunk man turns and walks away.

A sheepish Mel can only say, "What's wrong Robby?"

Robert responds coldly, "Get in the car dad."

Robert's voice has changed, his walk and manner are more resolute, and he appears more powerful. His eyes have even changed color.

While getting settled in the car, Mel says, "My buddy had wanted a ride too. But that's ok."

Robert ignores that comment. "What's wrong with you dad? I thought you were in a better place now. " Robert's voice is steely and he's emotionless.

"I'm trying Robert. Don't concern yourself." Mel is slurring his speech and doesn't notice his son's transformation.

"You're trying? Trying what dad? Trying to kill yourself? "

Mel starts to get angry. "Oh great. Here it comes. You too Robert? Oh my..."

Robert cuts him off. "Are you freaking out of your mind? Seriously dad. Are you crazy? You just got out of a mental institution? What the hell?"

Mel starts shaking and is barely able to respond.

Robert continues. "Do you need to get back to Anoka hospital? We could probably arrange it."

In a sudden rage Mel blurts, "Mind your own life Robert! You aren't doing that to me again. Ever! You have no idea young man! I'm not doing that again!"

Robert counters with, "And you have no idea either dad! You have no clue what your drinking has done to us. You've ruined almost everything! Get a f*****g clue!! Think about us for a change!"

Mel hangs his head and sobs quietly, but manages to say amid his despair, "I love my family Robert. But I've lost them."

"No you haven't dad. We're still here and we still need you. But stay away from these pathetic bars and get back to being my dad!"

Robert is still incensed at his dad the rest of the way back to Mel's apartment, but no other words are spoken. Robert has never spoken to his father in this way. Not even close.

Robert returns to his regular self just as they turn into Mel's parking lot. Back home now, Mel leaves the car without another word.

Robert is crushed by this turn of events, he hated this conflict. But he dearly hopes his dad will decide to get help.

"I love you dad." Robert says to himself while driving away.





© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Another turning point in Robert's life. He is now in a parenting role and his father, Mel, is now the child. Though Robert, being the wonderful son he is, feels guilty about it.

Your narration is amazing and you wrote the dialogs brilliantly. Your characters are very strong and life-like and Robert stirs so much sympathy in the reader. Here is a child who has always done right by his parents and he gets only guilt and disappointment in return.

What's wrong with people like Mel? Such a weak lot. They know not the value of family and then they cry foolish tears!

Well done Frankie! I wish I had read this chapter sooner but I'm so happy I did today because I loved it!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you Divya. You are an incredible encouragement. You always nail it! Some don't underst.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

I loved the story, especially Robert. A very real yet ideal character. The story is told simply yet .. read more



Reviews

Yep. I thought so. It was just too easy. I don't think this will end well.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Robert tried to get through to him though. They do have a strong bond.
Another turning point in Robert's life. He is now in a parenting role and his father, Mel, is now the child. Though Robert, being the wonderful son he is, feels guilty about it.

Your narration is amazing and you wrote the dialogs brilliantly. Your characters are very strong and life-like and Robert stirs so much sympathy in the reader. Here is a child who has always done right by his parents and he gets only guilt and disappointment in return.

What's wrong with people like Mel? Such a weak lot. They know not the value of family and then they cry foolish tears!

Well done Frankie! I wish I had read this chapter sooner but I'm so happy I did today because I loved it!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you Divya. You are an incredible encouragement. You always nail it! Some don't underst.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

I loved the story, especially Robert. A very real yet ideal character. The story is told simply yet .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2023
Last Updated on March 4, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing