Episode 24  Crisis Mode

Episode 24 Crisis Mode

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert strives to keep in contact with Marie, meanwhile her homelife starts to completely unravel.

"
That's the prettiest smile I've ever seen in my life.
Robert thinks to himself as he walks into Marie's shoe store. He hasn't seen her in three weeks as he's wanted to keep in touch, but without pressuring her.

Marie looks up from her shoe cart and smiles sweetly as she sees Robert walk into the store from the mall.

"What's up Robert?" Marie asks with some excitement in her voice. "How've you been sir?"

Robert is happy to get this nice welcome from her. "I just wanted to stop by."

"Well I'm glad you came by! I was thinking I wouldn't see you again. It's been a while." Marie makes sure to make eye contact..

Robert isn't sure what to say. He just likes being around Marie. Being in her presence, hearing her voice, seeing her. Whatever. As long as she's around.

"So what's up this beautiful spring day Robert?"

"Minnesota springs are gorgeous aren't they? I love this season. Everything is starting to grow again." Robert adds.

"Well we still have some snow around, but spring is coming!" Marie adds cheerily.

"How's the store? How are things here?" Robert feels things are quickly getting awkward.

Marie doesn't answer. Instead, she looks around the area quickly, then says quietly, "Todd and I are trying to make things work, but it just isn't. He's not around much. He's either up north fishing, or he's drinking around here all the time. I really don't see him much."

"I'm sorry to hear that Marie." Robert is surprised at this news. He hadn't assumed anything.

"Yeah. Well me too. I've never wanted to get a divorce. I just don't believe in them. I was raised to believe that couples need to work things out. Marriage is supposed to be forever. Couples are supposed to be one flesh." Marie's cheery disposition is clearly gone now.

Robert wants to keep listening, but to remain quiet. He doesn't want to appear eager. He's never been married so he doesn't have experience in that arrangement. His own parents had a bad marriage, but he knows Marie is a woman with good values and she isn't just giving up without really trying.

Marie starts tearing up. Slowly, she finally adds, "But things can't continue like this. I can't stand this anymore. We're not a good match. He's never home!"

Robert says warmly, "You're my friend Marie, and I think you're great. It's nice you're trying to make it work. It's the right thing to do. Too many couples just give up when things get tough. It's too bad."

Marie looks at him calmly and tries to compose herself. She then surprises him by quickly hugging him. Robert joins in in the hug at the last second. He as a result can't help but feel even closer to this wonderful woman.

After a moment, Marie starts to walk to the back of the store where there's a bathroom.

"Thank you my friend. I think you're great too."

"Bye Marie." Robert reluctantly leaves the store.

Robert leaves Marie's store feeling good that he's been able to see her and visit with her. She makes him feel like life is just a better, brighter place. He just wishes he could have come up with something to say to her that would've made her feel better.

Later on that week, while home at night, Robert hears his phone ringing in the living room. He answers expecting it to be his mother.

"Hello?"

"Robert? It's David Mason. "

After a pause, Robert says, "Yeah David. How are you?"

Although Robert barely knows Marie's dad, he can hear that David seems to be in some kind of distress.

"David? Are you there?"

"Robert, I'm calling from the phone booth on the corner near 6th St. and Hennepin Ave. I need some help."

Davis is barely audible and appears to be breathing hard.

"David, I will be there as soon as I possibly can."



© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

AHHHHHHHHH! Write the next episode!!!! Is she hurt? Is her husband a stupid abusive drunk and now he is going to help the dad teach him a lesson???? The mark of a good story is that the reader BEGS for more!!!!!


Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

5 Months Ago

Have you.read the other chapters?
Myra Fellows

5 Months Ago

I appreciate that you caught me. No. I skipped ahead and just read the last episode. I will read .. read more
Franky

5 Months Ago

You're welcome. Lol. Thank you! I'd love to hear your thoughts my friend.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
1 Review
Added on September 29, 2023
Last Updated on September 29, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing