Episode 14. Lizzette the sales rep

Episode 14. Lizzette the sales rep

A Chapter by Franky
"

Right out of college, Robert starts his dream job in Minneapolis.

"
When Robert starts working at Lexington Industries in July of 1989, he's pleased with the kindness he receives from the other employees. The employees who have contact or interaction with Robert find him to be quiet, calm, and kind. Lexington manufactures and sells electrical products. Within the same large plant there is a manufacturing area with many work areas and over 50 employees. In another section there is a telephone sales department where customers can order products via a monthly catalog over the phone.

During the workday Robert decides to take breaks at about the same time each day. In order to rest Robert either goes outside to one of the common seating areas, or to his truck to rest.

Upon returning to his work area he often notices an older woman of about 55 who works as one of the telephone sales reps. He decides to introduce himself as he has with so many others during his first week on the job. He learns her name is Lizzette, and her friendly and kind demeanor is very reassuring to a new employee just out of college.

On the Saturday of Robert's first week at work he needs to stop for groceries at the local food mart. As he's entering the store he's surprised to see Lizzette with a man Robert assumes is her husband. Robert says hello and speaks with Lizzette for a minute, but notices that the man with Lizzette is not friendly and doesn't say much. Robert learns from her his name is Vern and he and Lizzette have been just living together for a year or so. I know they're both a little older, but she could do a whole lot better than him.

Over the next month or so at work Robert makes quite a few new friends, including Lizzette. They usually chat about once per day. Since Robert works on computers most of the day he enjoys his interaction with fellow employees.

On a particular Monday, Robert notices that Lizzette is rather out of sorts and quiet. He decides to leave her alone but wonders what's wrong. The next day he quietly asks her if she's OK. "Yes. Why?"

Robert backs up a step and says, "I was just wondering. It seemed you were a little off yesterday." "I was." Lizzette says with a smile.

As they walk along toward their work areas Lizzette explains that life has been hard lately. She mentions her relationship isn't going well. Robert doesn't say much, but listens intently. He knows she's a good, caring person. Lizzette reminds Robert of his mom.

Later that evening, when Robert is home relaxing and watching a baseball game, Vern decides to unexpectedly pay a visit. Robert is surprised to see an intense, angry, older man standing in his doorway.

Robert can only manage, "Can I help you?"

Vern stares back. "You need to listen carefully, young man. You don't talk to Lizzette again. Stay away from her. Mind your own business! You speak to her again and I'll be back here. You wouldn't want that." Vern speaks slowly and has a menacing tone.

"Do we understand each other, Robert?" Vern says Robert's name in a slow, demeaning way. It's like he's speaking to someone beneath him, like Robert is a scared, little man.

Robert changes in that moment from a caring, friendly young computer programmer into a different person. His stance changes. His eyes become a darker color. His expression is now one of amusement. His speaking tone is lower in volume as he responds.

"Is that so? You really think this tough guy crap works with me old man?" Robert moves closer to Vern.

"You come back here again to my home and I'll cut your worthless a*s into many little pieces and no one will ever find any of them." Robert speaks calmly and with full confidence.

Vern steps back and looks away for a second not expecting this reaction.

Robert finishes with, "Do you understand ME old man? Or do I need to explain it again?"

Vern's demeanor has changed. He pauses for a second, then leaves without another word.

As Vern walks away Robert says with a grin, "Drive safe now."



© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Robert seems to be getting involved, inadvertently, in an affair that might land him in some trouble as I see that Vern is a toxic kind of guy. Reading about Lizette, the sales rep, I did indeed wonder why older women settle for men undeserving of them and often toxic. Its the fear of never having someone, of dying alone and invisible, I guess. A nice issue you raised there.

The interaction between Robert and Vern made a very exciting read. There is a confrontation happening as the old boyfriend is insecure about a younger man and probably thinks he can threaten and intimidate him out of the scene. He could never have bargained for the response he received. Robert was no ordinary, inexperienced young fella! He had already tasted blood! And that quiet, killer's confidence came out in his words. Vern felt it STRONGLY and had no option but to run and save his own a*s. Loved it.

Somehow, I'm still rooting for Robert, inspite of knowing what he did. Strange, isn't it...?

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you my friend for another wonderful, helpful comment. You.inspire me!
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

I'm confident, this is one of the most interesting plots I've read lately, especially after the late.. read more



Reviews

Robert is beginning to remind me of that young man in the film, Dead Calm.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Robert seems to be getting involved, inadvertently, in an affair that might land him in some trouble as I see that Vern is a toxic kind of guy. Reading about Lizette, the sales rep, I did indeed wonder why older women settle for men undeserving of them and often toxic. Its the fear of never having someone, of dying alone and invisible, I guess. A nice issue you raised there.

The interaction between Robert and Vern made a very exciting read. There is a confrontation happening as the old boyfriend is insecure about a younger man and probably thinks he can threaten and intimidate him out of the scene. He could never have bargained for the response he received. Robert was no ordinary, inexperienced young fella! He had already tasted blood! And that quiet, killer's confidence came out in his words. Vern felt it STRONGLY and had no option but to run and save his own a*s. Loved it.

Somehow, I'm still rooting for Robert, inspite of knowing what he did. Strange, isn't it...?

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you my friend for another wonderful, helpful comment. You.inspire me!
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

I'm confident, this is one of the most interesting plots I've read lately, especially after the late.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 21, 2023
Last Updated on April 21, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing