Episode 23 The stamping room.

Episode 23 The stamping room.

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert wants a new challenge in where he can be around people more.

"
A week after applying for the lead position in one of the production departments, Robert gets a visit from Landon, his supervisor at work.

"So, you're thinking of leaving us Robert? I thought you liked it here."

"I do Landon. This job's been great for me. I am just thinking of switching departments. It would be nice to work with more people. I'm alone a lot."

"I understand my friend. I get it. Working in the production department would be a huge change for you though. It's a loud environment, you'll get dirty, and there is stress in dealing with and supervising employees."

Robert pauses, then answers, "I think I can do this Landon. I want to try it."

Landon smiles. "I'll recommend you Robert. I think you'll do well. But, do one thing first. As you know, the press room you've applied to operates on the weekends as well. Please work there this Saturday. Then, next week let's get you into that press room a few days to get you more familiar with what's going on. Sound reasonable?"

"It does. Thanks Landon. I appreciate you."

On Saturday of that week Robert arrives in what's referred to as Stamtec. It's an older press room with nine presses. Stamtec makes medium sized steel parts for manufacturers nationwide. On this day, Robert will be running a press in order to become more familiar with set ups, and the micrometer and caliper checks of the completed parts.

Robert spends the day realizing that production is appealing to him. He has gotten tired of all the computer work and the troubleshooting that accompanies it. Working a press is good, hard work and it shows an actual tangible result for the work you put in. It's also great exercise, especially for your upper body.. Robert is familiar with press work since he's been an employee for a few years now. He has at times filled in in the production areas when there was a need, or during mandatory overtime periods. Robert is pleased to meet several hardworking weekend employees who have worked in this press area for months, or in some cases, years.

On Monday, Landon and Robert discuss a schedule that will give Robert time to do both jobs during the week. On Wednesday, Robert starts out his day working a press again in Stamtec. He's determined to make this a permanent change.

Press operators need support from a forklift driver when completing a skid of steel parts. Toward the end of each shift forklift drivers that work within the building are busier since many of the press operators need their work sent away, or sent to a large scale to be weighed. When Robert requests a driver to lift his completed parts to the weigh scale to get an accurate count, he is approached by one of the longtime forklift drivers named Chad.

"Hey dumb a*s! Don't you know anything?"

Robert responds with, "What's wrong?"

Chad laughs, then harshly says, "Don't wait so freaking long to request a weigh! You need to make those requests five or 10 minutes earlier! Dude, you're not in an office anymore. Wake up!" Chad then drives away shaking his head.

Robert is surprised at this reaction. A few seconds later Luther, a substitute production lead walks over and says, "Robert, no worries man. Chad's a jerk and he's only marking his territory. That means nothing. "

"I see that. But I'm likely gonna be the lead in this area soon. So, he's my forklift guy?" Robert sees some dark humor in this situation.

Luther responds with a smile and a shoulder shake. "Welcome to our world man."

On the drive home that night, Robert realizes that future incidents with Chad might need to be dealt with in the near future rather seriously.

There is no way I'll deal with that idiot everyday!








© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I see Chad getting his butt kicked sometime in the near future. I hope he's not bumped off. Robert is a bit of a loose cannon!

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Thanks for reading and your review. It's much appreciated. My thought is: Chad might not be aro.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
1 Review
Added on July 26, 2023
Last Updated on July 26, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing