Episode 27. The Equalizer

Episode 27. The Equalizer

A Chapter by Franky
"

Marie faces a difficult personal situation and she sees another side of Robert.

"
Back at work on Monday, Robert is settling in as a lead supervisor for the stamptech department press room for Lexington Industries Company. He's learning a lot each day about the intricacies of the presses, the many die tools used in them, troubleshooting tactics, production expectations, and of course the various challenges of working with people who he supervises.

Robert greatly appreciates the dedication and hard work of his team members. He has six male and three female press operators. All nine are under 40 years old, but none are younger than 24. Robert realizes the importance of a team friendly atmosphere and good communication with his team. He knows firsthand how demoralizing it is to not be trained correctly and then to be held accountable. However, he in turn realizes the importance of being realistic since two of his team members have serious attendance issues, and a few others struggle with a poor attitude toward the company itself.

Every Thursday morning, early into the work day, Robert meets in one of the company's cafeterias with his team. He provides them fresh donuts, which he picks up and brings into work, although his team has recently willingly started to contribute to their cost. Robert then gets everyone talking about how their work assignments are proceeding, as well as discussing a positive they are seeing in their personal lives. Afterward, Robert will give his team reminders of safety topics, production matters, overtime possibilities, or other relevant concerns. Robert tries to make sure these meetings are positive and informative, yet productive.

Robert wants his workers to feel comfortable and confident in what they are doing each day at work. He knows full well how physically demanding this job is, especially on the upper body, and he's worked hard at making sure everyone gets the training and feedback they need. He wants to keep his employees around since starting over with brand new press operators is time consuming, and mistakes and safety issues so often occur with new employees.


That Monday evening, Robert is cleaning up after dinner when he hears a knock on his apartment door. He isn't expecting anyone so he's curious. Just when he assumes it's his mom Jeannie stopping by for a visit he opens his door to a pretty young brunette in her late twenties with shorter hair.

Marie stands outside waiting patiently, although she doesn't really know what she's trying to accomplish with this unannounced visit. Marie is nervous. She needs to talk to Robert. She's just learned that her estranged husband has been murdered in a bar 200 miles away and her own father seems to know more than what he's saying.

“Marie! What's up?” Robert is surprised and taken aback at seeing her, but he knows why she's here.

“Can I come in Robert?” Marie has never been to Robert's apartment previously. She obtained his address from her dad.

“Of course. Come in.” Robert guides her to the nearest comfortable chair which is a recliner. Robert sits on his matching couch across from Marie. The discomfort in the room is apparent. Neither want to say much but both want information.

Marie begins with, “Robert, my husband is dead. Todd was killed in a bar up north somewhere two days ago. Somebody beat his head in.” Marie pauses to gauge Robert's reaction. Robert doesnt give one. He shows interest in his guests' feelings though by being gracious and listening to her.

“Can I get you a beverage? Juice?”

Marie doesn't answer. She continues, “So, you've gotten to know my dad, I hear.”

“Yes. He's a good guy.” Robert is nonchalant.

A long pause ensues while Marie examines Robert's living room floor.

She can't take the silence anymore and begins with, “So, you're not gonna tell me anything. My dad and you know things and have apparently become friends. But no one will say anything? My husband is dead!”

No answer.

“Robert, do you know anything about this, or did you do something? Please say something.”

Finally, “Marie, your dad loves you. I care about you very much. You deserve a good life. You're a great person. Your dad had his life threatened by that man. Sometimes when people make threats, spend or waste other people's money, and use people, stuff happens to them.”

As Marie takes this in, she can hardly breathe. This is a whirlwind!

“Robert, should I be afraid of you?” She asks.

“Are you? Do you think I'm a scary person?”

Marie gets up to leave. She walks to the door and lets herself out. Robert stays sitting on his couch not sure what to make of the conversation.

A minute later Marie opens up Robert's door without knocking and steps back in. She says, “For some reason I'm not afraid of you.”

“I'm glad Marie. You shouldn't be.”

“But what about my dad? Is he in trouble or will he be? I love my dad. He's old and shy though. Has he done something? Will he be arrested? “

“Your dad hasn't done anything. I assure you. He's a good man who loves his daughter. He's not in trouble at all. Don't even worry about that.”

Marie breathes easier now.

“Ok. Thank you Robert.”







© 2024 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on February 15, 2024
Last Updated on February 15, 2024


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing