5) No Answers

5) No Answers

A Chapter by Kelly M.

April was constantly by Drew, pressing cold cloths on his head, or holding his hand, whispering encouragingly to him.  She prayed every moment, pleading and hoping with all her heart.  She received no answers, no signs, and no miracles.
Jenny finally urged her to get some rest before dawn, promising to stay right by him.  April, reluctant, curled up in an armchair nearby Drew, and cried herself to sleep.  It wasn't a peaceful sleep, however, as she kept having terrible dreams of Drew's face, crying out to her, and she was too far away to reach him.  She finally awoke, her hair disheveled, her eyes drooping, and her dress crumpled.  It wasn't the bright, beautiful sunshine that welcomed her, but dark rain clouds, sending down buckets of unmerciful rain.
"Morning," Jenny said as cheerfully as she could.
April looked up tiredly, and merely nodded in acknowledgement.
"Mrs. Dawson is making breakfast.  You better have some to keep your strength up.  You look tired."
April seated herself on one of the kitchen chairs, and shrugged.
"I didn't sleep so well," she admitted.
"April," Jenny said softly, "you really shouldn't worry.  He's really not that bad."
"He hasn't gained consciousness.  His left arm, and leg are broken as well as a few of his ribs.  He's scratched and bruised all over."  April was close to tears.  "It's all my fault."
Jenny reached for her hand.  "You can't blame yourself.  You had no part in his accident."
"I could've stopped him-- should've done something.  I knew the weather wasn't good to be out in-- it's just-- I guess-- I don't know what to do," she said, bursting into tears.
Jenny held her close, reminding her, "You can still pray."
"I have.  What else do you think I've been doing?  He just doesn't hear me."
"He always hears.  You know that."
April shook her head, her chin coming up stubbornly.  "Then why?  If He hears, don't you think He'd do something?  Does He not care?"
"I remember someone told me that God takes time in making miracles.  He doesn't always do things right away.  It's not that He doesn't hear.  He's just testing us-- seeing how strong our faith is.  He wants us to be patient, and wait for His answer.  Until then, all we can do is pray."
April wiped her tears, then stood up, squaring her shoulders.  "I have to check on Jack."
"Not in this downpour.  Wait till it clears up.  Besides, you haven't even eaten breakfast yet," Jenny protested.
"I'm not hungry," April said coldly, then slipped out the door, and rushed through the pouring rain, making a dash for the barn.
Jack was the same, lying motionless on the cold ground.  April knelt down beside him, squeezing out the rainwater from her soaking hair.
"Oh, Jack," she whispered.  "No one understands.  They'll never know how I feel.  At least I have you, right?" she said, patting his back.  Suddenly she froze, looking down at his motionless body.  "Jack?" she whispered, choking back tears.  "Jack, do you hear me?"  She moved her hand to feel his heartbeat, and then the unbelievable reality hit her.  He was gone.
~*~
"I'm so sorry, April.  Honestly.  I understand that you feel just terrible..."
"No," she whispered, shaking her head.  "No one will ever understand."
She began to walk away, not allowing herself to look back.  She felt confused.  Hurt.  Lonely.  And empty.   She had prayed, and God hadn't seemed to answer.  Jenny said she understood, but she didn't.  Jack was dead, and Drew lay unconscious.  There was only one other person she knew that she could tell her her feelings, and now she needed her more than ever.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
These few chapters have been depressing, but don't give up hope!

(Jack died from old age-- not from being lame)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

God hears all prayers and will either answer them or decide whats better for you.
nice sad chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


Poor Jack! Aw, when you said "tragedy strikes" I didn't think it would be that bad! This book is suspenceful, solemn, and wonderful. I'm reading on more now!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


That's soo sad!:( I really hope she doesn't become bitter to God though!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aw, this was super sad :(
Write mooooore!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I have a hunch that Kanika is the person she is going to go talk to :) It's really sad that Jack passed on :( That is heartbreaking. I hope Drew comes back soon that way April can be happy again. Good chapter!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG!!!! It was soooo sad, but we all experience these things once in our lifetime; or know someone... Anyway, it was a great chapter and I can't wait to read more. You are moving at a very well pace and I miss DREW!!! :(

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great chapter!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was so sad:( but it was so good! Keep me posted. I miss Drew :(

Posted 12 Years Ago


She's going to go talk to Kanika, right?

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 15, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.