16) First Fight

16) First Fight

A Chapter by Kelly M.

I'm married, was April's first thought when she awoke the next morning.  Married.  She looked down at her wedding ring that revealed her promise-- her forever heartfelt promise.  Was this reality-- or all just a beautiful dream?

But the sounds of stirring in the kitchen told her that she was definitely not dreaming.  She pulled back the covers, counting off the things she'd do for the day.  She wrapped a robe about her, and peered softly into the kitchen.  She watched, a smile on her face, as Drew was making her breakfast.

He turned around just in time to see her.

"I thought I'd make breakfast," he explained.  "I hope you're hungry."

"Thank you.  I am."

He pulled out a chair for her, and she gratefully accepted.

"So, what are your plans for the day?" she asked curiously as he set a plate of food in front of her.

"Well," he said, and pulled up a chair, "I've been thinking of asking around town to see if there's anyone who may need anything built or repaired."

April nodded, remembering him tell her that his dream was to build things with his hands.  He said farming would be fine if that's what she wanted him to do, but April had insisted him to do what he wished.  He had always had a creative mind, and a delight in constructing things.  April had thought this to be his chance to do something he really enjoyed.

"While I'm there, I was thinking of getting some material for a chicken pen.  I thought you might like some chickens--"  But she interrupted.

"That would be great!" she exclaimed, clapping her hands like a little child.  "I was hoping the same thing."

He chuckled at her enthusiasm.  "I'll pick some up today.  How many did you have in mind?"

"I'd say about a dozen," she said after careful thought.  "Oh, just imagine fresh eggs."

He only smiled, and stood up.

"I'd better get to it then.  I'll have to go into town quick for some supplies, and then I'll come back to get started on it."

She smiled, nodding, then asked quickly, "Do you think it would be alright for me to sort of train Leila?"

He paused, then answered slowly, "I don't think it would be best just at the moment.  She still has to get used to her surroundings."

April nodded slowly, a look of disappointment on her face.

"But," he added quickly, "I don't see any harm in you being near her, or anything.  She needs to get used to you, and then, in no time at all, she'll be as gentle as a kitten."

April's face brightened.  "I'd like that," she admitted.  

He smiled his farewell, and then softly closed the door behind him.

April sighed in contentment as she cleared the dishes.  She had so many things planned, and she'd simply have to finish them all, one at a time.

~*~

April began her day by cleaning the house from top to bottom.  She whistled as she went, dusting off whatever she thought needed dusting.  The house was soon sparkling without a speck of dirt, and she began to shine the china her mother had generously given to her as a wedding present.  April's eyes misted.  She already missed her dearly.

Afterwards, she visited Leila, an apple tucked in her apron pocket.  Leila gave April a questioning look, but hesitantly trotted up to her.  She immediately stuck her long neck into April's hiding place, discovering the little secret.  April laughed, rubbing her neck, whispering softly to her.  She felt that, already, she had made a close friend.

She skipped home, taking occasional peeks out the window to see if Drew had yet returned.  She began to start some baking to fill her time, and the kitchen was soon filled with a welcoming aroma.

Still, Drew had not returned, and April began to feel a bit annoyed with him.  She didn't know of anything else that needed done.  She rocked back in forth in the rocker, glancing up at the ticking clock.  Inwardly, she sighed, and knew she couldn't sit around all day.  She wrapped a shawl about her shoulders, and stepped outside.  A cold breeze sent a shiver up and down her spine.  The world looked dreary and lonely.  The trees were bare, the ground sprinkled in white, the sky a grey-blue.  She felt as though the day matched her feelings at that moment.

She decided to simply wander through the woods, stopping at the stream to get a cool drink.  She wandered silently up the rutted path.  Minutes ticked by, and she realized she was getting nowhere.  Everything around her looked the same.  She sighed, and turned around, starting back towards home.  Drew had to be there by now.

It seemed as though she had been walking forever, and, still, found no clearing ahead to greet her.  The wind was getting stronger, and she forced her frozen limbs to move onward to keep warm.  Night was swiftly coming upon her, and April could hear owls hooting off in the distance.  She had always easily found her way around in the woods before-- it had been like a second home to her, but, now, in the silent, dark of winter, she was unsure where she was and frightened.

She found herself praying.  "Please, God, help me get back home safely."

Soon, it was so dark, she couldn't see.  April felt as though a blanket had dropped over the sun.  She knew she couldn't stop to rest though-- she had to keep moving, and find her way in the darkness.  Then, off in the distance, she saw a flickering light.  Relief rushed over her as she stumbled her way to it.  A dim outline of their home assured her that she was safe, now.

As soon as she was inside, she felt Drew's arms around her.  When he had pulled back, his face was deep with concern and his eyes full of unasked questions.

"Where were you?  I looked and called, and you didn't answer.  I was so afraid that..."  But instead of finishing, he pulled her into another embrace.  

April couldn't speak.  Once she had been seated by the fire, she began to explain.  "I just took a walk outside.  You hadn't returned yet, and I didn't want to sit here, waiting all day."

He hadn't seemed to have heard.  "You didn't leave a note.  Nothing.  I had no idea where you had gone, or what might have happened."  He sighed, and ran a hand through his thick hair.  "You worried me, April.  You have to let me know where you're going from now on."

April stood up, her eyes flickering with anger.  "Well, you have to tell me when you are to return.  I waited for hours.  What was I to expect what had happened to you?  That you had just broken your promise, and left me here to sit all day, watching the clock for your return.  You have to let me know when you're going to be here, and not.  I don't like not knowing..."  April didn't finish, but sat back down, tears filling her eyes.

Drew was silent.  Then, apologetically, responded, "I'm sorry.  James stopped me at..."

"James!" April exclaimed.  "Did you not even think what I might have been doing-- while you were talking to James?  Nothing, that's what.  Nothing except wait and worry, wondering about what had held you up."

It was selfish to say such things, but April felt like he needed to hear her out.  She quickly silenced her tongue, and finally stood up.  Without a word, she ran to her room, slamming the door behind her.  She flew herself on her bed and cried herself to sleep.



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:|

Yes, it was a silly, meaningless fight, but that's usually how fights start.

Who do you think was right-- or were both wrong?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think they were both a little wrong I mean he's allowed to have friends and I don't know...I guess she could have left a note but who knew she'd get lost? hmmm nice chapter i am starting to love your writing:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Married, beautiful. I fought their fight a bit amusing, I'm not sure why. ;) When I reread that you were twelve, I literally fell out of my seat. I'm fourteen, two years olds, and I can't even write that good! This is an amazing chapter, and I'm so excited!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


Th chapters are so sweet, even when they're fighting. And they are a bit short, but there's nothign you can do about that :) and I really have no idea what's going to happen!! NAd they both were a bit wrong. Drew should have talked for a bit then come home, and April should realize that he does have friends that he talks to and things! But, anyway, good chapter!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG! I love these chapters so much. I think both of them are silly to fight; so both of them aren't right... but Drew could've told Thomas he had to get home. I don't know what to say. You are a talented writer. Luv ya girlie!! (No homo, lol! xD)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


I dont have an idea what wll happen next and the fight made me laugh. It was sweet.

Posted 12 Years Ago


No clue about what will happen!:) It was kind of a funny fight to me. I don't know why but it made me smile. xD Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
6 Reviews
Added on July 28, 2011
Last Updated on February 12, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.