22) Discovery

22) Discovery

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"It's going to be hard letting her go."

They stood on the hill, looking down at the quaint little farmhouse that April had learned to love.  It would be hard for her to let the familiar house go, too.  But, instead of voicing her thoughts, which she was sure would only make things harder to bear, she responded encouragingly, "We'd love to help in anyway we can.  I know that there's a lot of things for you to pack and everything."

Mr. Carter nodded, but April wasn't sure he had really heard her.

A soft breeze sent a shiver down April's spine, sending her hair twirling about her face.

Then, with a final last glance over the farmland, she turned to the elderly man, a smile on her lips.  "I'll come by tomorrow," she promised, then turned, unable to know what else to say.  He needed time alone-- time to sort his jumbled thoughts together.  April needed some time, too.  She had accepted what the Lord had taken from her, but she couldn't help from still feeling some pain at her loss.  

Oh, if only Jenny would come, April thought.  The pain would be hard for her newly married friend to bear, April knew, but at least they could share their feelings together.  Cry in each others arms and be comforted by one another.  Well, I won't have to wait long, April reasoned.  James and Jenny were to arrive the next day.  April wondered for a brief moment if they should have at least warned them.  They'd come back from a special time together and be confronted with a shocking tragedy.  April was afraid it would be too hard for Jenny to bear, all in one month.  

April pushed worrisome thoughts away, focusing her thoughts on dinner she had to prepare for Drew before he would arrive back home.  She couldn't wait for him to return.  He was the light of her day when the world seemed to be filled with an empty void of darkness. 

~*~  

The next morning, April woke up early, and greeted the sunshine with a burst of restored energy.  Hurrying towards the Carters' home, two loaves of bread under her arms, she was determined to help her widowed father-in-law in anyway she could.  

After a brief greeting, April immediately entered the home, ready to undertake whatever needed done.  She was rather surprised when she opened the door, and saw that everything was in its exact spot, nothing touched or disturbed from that very same day she had come for a visit.  

She felt hesitant at first.  She didn't know if she was ready to go through the old house, packing up its contents to be stored away somewhere else.  The memories were too great-- too vivid in her mind.  She could still hear voices, and laughter in the kitchen, the smell of one of Mrs. Carter's special dishes in the oven.  But those days are gone, April thought.  Now, the house was strangely quiet-- almost frightening April at the very silence of the rooms, and dark eeriness.  

Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes.  "Lord," she whispered, "I know this isn't how I wanted it.  I only pray that I can be of some help to Mr. Carter today.  I know he's going to need a lot of support right now.  I pray that I can be the support to him that he needs by doing a decent task of the work today.

"And, please, be with Mrs. Carter.  We all miss her.  Let her know that we still think of her often.  In Your name, I pray.  Amen."  With a last whisper of finality, she pushed past aside, and began her task.  She found the work a bit strenuous and tiring, but pushed on.

After a time, she had finished all the rooms except for the master bedroom which she had purposefully left for last.  Partly, she felt like she was disturbing her past mother-in-law by going in to gather up her things that held her deepest memories.  She bit her lip as she slowly pushed open the door.  

A soft bit of sunlight streamed in onto the clean bed sheets which had been stripped of Mrs. Carter's fine quilts that were carefully laid on a chair to the left.  April also noted the wildflowers that lay softly on the pillows.  She reasoned that Mr. Carter had brought them in, knowing Mrs. Carter's love of wildflowers.  It made tears come to April's eyes just at the thought.

Silently, she made her way to the closet which she opened, and began folding the hand sewn dresses and soft materials.  After clearing most everything out, she looked upward, discovering old, dusty boxes.  After using much effort to reach them, she blew off the dust, peeking in it to discover the contents.  Her eyes reached a picture of a young girl with laughing eyes and dark curls standing by a tall, handsome young man with broad shoulders.  April sensed a soft understanding look in his eyes.  She picked up the picture, swiping off the dust with her apron.  

"This must be Mr. and Mrs. Carter when they were first married," April whispered aloud to herself.

Laying the photograph down, she reached for something else.  She came up with an old diary.  For a moment, April wondered if she would be prying into Mrs. Carter's private thoughts, but, curiosity overruled, and she opened the book to the first page.

Dear Diary, it read, My Mother gave me this diary for my twelfth birthday, telling me that I could record all my secrets and thoughts in here.  I decided to take her advice, and am hiding it in the back of my closet in this box where my three younger brothers won't be able to find it.  


Today, after doing my usual chores, I went wading in the lake with Evelyn.  I thought I wouldn't be able to convince her to get her feet wet, but she agreed after much convincing.

Evelyn just moved to our town.  I don't know where she moved from, but my father says from a far, far away place.  I like to think she's some princess that once lived in a castle, but evil dragons took over, and forced her and her family to move away.  My Mother says I have a wild imagination, but my Father says it will take me many places someday.  I hope he's right.


After that, I had to get home.  Mother scolded me for getting my feet dirty.  She says I have to start acting like 'a lady.'  I told her I will-- someday.


Then I helped her cook dinner.  Mother says every young lady has to learn how to cook a good meal and be a good hostess.  I don't mind cooking really.  Actually, I like it.  It's better than cleaning up the cow manure or milking Old Sal.  She's our old cow, and she's acted sour towards me and everyone else in my family since she had her calf.  I didn't know having a baby could make anyone so angry before.


Now, my Mother is calling, so I must go.  There's probably leftover dinner dishes that need to be done.  I'll write more tomorrow.


Lydia Hall


April couldn't help smiling as she read on.  She felt like she was drifting into someone else's world.  She was only too glad to discover it.



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What do you think? The next chapter continues on about Mrs. Carter (Lydia's) life, so look forward to it. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awwee this chapter is a bit sad, I know after the death of someone it sure is hard to let go.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww! I love that this chapter brought out the life of Mrs. Carter even more. I can tell from your writing in the first book, to this book that you've progressed in your writing! :) I love the journal entry about Mrs. Carter, but can't wait for more!!

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful chapter. Made me cry, too. Poor Mrs. Carter, even though her death was quick and painless, she left behind the most wonderful of people to mourn for her.

Wow, I'm starting to sound like a creeper preacher or something... :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved it! It was so sweet! Keep on girlie ;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww this was sad, but beautiful, looking forward to more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I liked it:) I curious to know more about Mrs. Carter and her life. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
6 Reviews
Added on August 12, 2011
Last Updated on February 19, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.