18) Changes

18) Changes

A Chapter by Kelly M.

A crisp December morning welcomed April as she stepped outside, and made her way to the Carter's farmhouse.  It had been so long since she had seen or even spoken to them.  She chastised herself for putting off their much needed visit.

Mrs. Carter's warm smile welcomed her when she approached, and quickly ushered her inside and out of the cold.

"We've missed you, dear.  It feels like forever since we've seen you."

"I thought the same thing," April said, nodding, and gave the older woman a hug.

"Jenny was just going over to your place.  She's been missing you something terrible."  Then Mrs. Carter bent to whisper in her ear, "And I think she doesn't like the quick change.  I have a feeling she wishes she were off in her own home with that James boy."  Mrs. Carter said, then, a bit louder, "She's in the kitchen right now.  Why don't you go in and see her?"

~*~

April appreciated Jenny's parents understanding in giving Jenny and her some time alone.  She had missed her dear friend, and had a million things to tell her privately.  

But, to her surprise, it was Jenny who spoke first.

"I have some good news," Jenny said softly, her cheeks flushing and her eyes bright.

April looked up from the tea Jenny had offered, her face surprised and full of wonder.  "Well, don't keep me waiting," she teased.

Jenny laughed, and took a deep breath.  "I'm getting married."

Before she could say more, April gasped, "Oh, Jen."  And she flung her arms around her friend in a congratulatory embrace.

"I never imagined," April whispered, breathlessly, shaking her head.  "My dear friend, married."

Jenny smiled, but didn't say anything.

"Well, have you made any plans?  When is the wedding to be held?"

"Next week."

April felt herself sink back into her chair.  "So soon?" she whispered.

She nodded, then turned back to snapping her green beans.  "I-- I was afraid he'd never ask me.  I was getting somewhat-- well-- annoyed with him.  We even got into a fight about it."

April looked up quickly.

"Oh, we have that all settled, now," assured Jenny.

April relaxed somewhat, but something inside seemed to twist about in a huge knot.  She loved her friend dearly and wanted what was only best for her, but married?  Next week?  Why did everything have to change?

"Are you-- are you positive?" she dared whisper.

Jenny's eyes took on a whole new light.  "Yes," she whispered, nodding.  "Surer than anything in my life."

April gave her a weak smile, and squeezed her hand.  "Then I wish you all the best."

~*~

Jenny's wedding was held on Christmas Eve.  It wasn't what you would call a fairy tale wedding.  The decorations weren't so elaborate and refined, but simple and pretty all the same.  The refreshments weren't exactly delectable, but certainly satisfying.  Besides all this, it was special and memorable.  Jenny looked lovely in her mother's wedding dress.  Not like a princess in a picture book, but herself.

April had to admit it was one of the most pleasurable weddings she had been to.

Before they were off, April handed her her gift.  "A handkerchief," Jenny said, smiling softly, admiring the expensive lace. "It's beautiful," Jenny said, appreciation in her voice.  April didn't also add that she had fussed over ideas for what to give her, and how much looking, thinking, and deciding she had gone over until she had finally come up with something.  Instead, she smiled, and gave her life long friend a hug.

"Promise me you'll find a place close by," she whispered softly.  "I couldn't bear losing you, Jenny."

Jenny nodded, tears in her eyes.  "I promise."

With a last wave, James and Jenny left in a whirl of dust.  Good wishes were called out as well as safe travels.  People blew noses and wiped at tear-filled eyes while others stood silently, unable to know how to feel or what to say.  April was sure she would have broken down in tears for her best friend hadn't Drew come up beside her, and put a hand on her shoulder.

April turned to him, and welcomed his embrace.

"I'm going to miss her," she whispered against his chest.

"She'll be back, you know that," he encouraged.

April nodded, but her heart was still a bit doubtful.  "And what if she changes?" April dared whisper.

Drew kissed her forehead, assuring her that she wouldn't.

"Everything is changing," she said softly, looking up to the sky.  "I guess I can't stop it from happening."



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
A little fast, yes, but Jenny is happy. :]

Your thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Jenny's married. So soon. Oh my! haha. I love Drew and April! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good for Jenny! The poor girl deserves some happiness after all she's been through. Aw, two more chapters before the end? YOU MUST WRITE MORE!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


Super happy for Jenny. . My prediction came true!!I had a feeling she was going to get married. . And yeah, it is a little rushed, but sometimes rushing can work for a chapter and I think it worked for this one. Great job!! And I cant wait to read more!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


OOOOO!!! I think the chapter was very well. I am super duper happy for Jenny and her fiance. :) You've really gotten this sequel in the bag! xD I can't wait to read a little more. Slow it down just a little bit.

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww.... good for Jenny:) I'm glad she got married and I think she rushed things just a little, but I'm still happ y for her. Excellent chapter:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww Jenny's married! I do think she rushed things, but if that's what she wants, then that's what she wants. I was sooo excited to see that this chapter was posted, because I'm rereading "A Promise to Keep" right now!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
6 Reviews
Added on August 1, 2011
Last Updated on February 12, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.