10) Explanation

10) Explanation

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Jenny weaved her way around muddy puddles, clutching her sweater more tightly.  A gush of wind played with her orange-red hair, and she looked up at the sky, recognizing clouds moving in above her, their faces dark and resentful.
She found her way to Harold's Lake, a familiar place to her when she was young.  She was making her way through the underbrush to the large rock she, Drew, and April used to have picnics at, when she was surprised to find James already there.  His orangish brown hair glimmered in the sunshine, and his strong, burly hands were folded respectfully.  
Jenny held her breath when she realized he was silently praying.  She wondered just what he was telling God, and was sure it had something to do with that afternoon.  He opened his eyes then, whispering a strong, "Amen."  
Just then, Jenny accidentally stepped on a twig, making a sharp crack pierce the silence.  James wheeled his head in her direction, and she gasped, realizing she had been discovered.  She turned on her heel, breaking out in a run.  She hadn't meant to spy, and she sure hoped he hadn't thought that's what she had intended.
"Jenny, wait," she could hear him call, and dash after her.  She felt his hand on her shoulder, gently holding her back from her attempted escape.  He turned her to face him, his sky blue eyes looking right into her heart.  Jenny refused to meet his gaze.
"Can-- can we talk?" he asked softly.  Jenny hesitated, then slowly raised her eyes to meet his.  She felt herself nodding, and, taking her by the arm, he led her back to the marshy bank.  Once they both had been seated, James cleared his throat.
"I-- I know you're mad at me-- disappointed.  It's just-- well-- there's some things in the past that are best kept untouched."
Jenny was silent, and, somewhat hesitantly, he began to slowly explain everything.
"You see, sometime before I had really known you-- I was about seventeen, and I had fallen in love with the teacher's daughter, Annette.  She was sort of wild with silly, romantic notions.  After a few months, we became secretly engaged, and we planned to elope."
Jenny was surprised, and inside questioning him what this had to do with his unexpected departure.  Somewhat doubtfully, she listened as he continued.
"Well, the night of the elopement, she had strangely disappeared.  Everyone had believed her to be kidnapped or, worse yet, dead.  Everyone was distraught about it, and we never did understand what really had happened."
Jenny jerked her head around to meet his gaze.  Was he lying?  It sounded like some fairy tale from a story book, not anything that had to do with real life truth.  Besides, what on earth did his lost love have to do with him disappearing without dropping off a note-- not leaving anything to explain where he might have gone?  But looking into his innocent blue eyes told her that he would never lie to her even if he was trying to protect her from his past.
Finally, in a shaky voice, she asked, "What does this all have to do about you leaving?"
"I'm getting to that," he answered patiently.
Jenny held her tongue as he began to explain to her more clearly.
"We never heard from her again, and the first news I heard of her was a few months ago.  Someone sent me a letter saying she was still alive."
"And that's why you left," Jenny whispered, more to herself than to him.
He nodded silently.  
"I suppose she was glad to see you," Jenny murmured, standing up, and turning her back to him, so he couldn't see her face.  Well, I suppose it's over, now.  He's running off with his first love.  And I'm being left behind.
Before her thoughts could continue, he had stood up, and rested his large hands on her shoulders, turning her to him.
"She wasn't the same Annette, but only was made to appear the same.  Apparently, some thieves were looking for extra money by using someone else."
Jenny's eyes widened in unbelief.  "Did it cost you a lot?"
He smiled softly.  "No, I put fool's gold in the sacks."
Jenny pulled away from his grasp, her back to him.  "Is the woman alright?"
He nodded.  "She went back to her hometown.  You should have seen the shine in her eyes when she realized she would be able to see her family again."
Jenny turned around to meet his gaze, her face serious.
"And what would've happened if she had been the same girl?"  Her voice was candid, her eyes direct.
He took a step closer to her.  "I might have loved her once, but that was a long time ago," he whispered, his eyes completely serious.  "The only one I could ever love is you.  I've always loved you, Jenny."
She felt tears misting her eyes, and she wrapped her arms around him, laying her head on his shoulder.
He pulled her back to look into her eyes, and touched her hair softly.  "There's no one else I could ever love more.  No one."
Jenny couldn't hold it any longer.  She burst into tears, and he wiped them away as he held her in his arms.  


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awh they are okay now :D Happy.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Agreed, very cute. :3 Reading on!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


This chapter was cute :3 I'm sorry it's taken me so long to review, you musta really been on a roll since the last time I read this book xD Again, sorry I didn't review every chapter. :( Write more pwease?(:

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's a really cute, sweet chapter! I like James, I'm glad he wasn't guilty, Jenny need some one in her life as well as April! Great chapter!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful chapter!! And I love how your taking the spotlight off of April and Drew for some time to focus a little on Jenny! Great technique!!! I absolutely love this book and cant wait to read more!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh I loved this chapter! So beautiful :) I'm glad James got to explain to Jenny what was going on.
It is so awesome that they will be together now. So romantic :)
You did an excellent job writing this chapter :) Great descriptions and I am loving this storyline that you are coming up with.
Great job girl! :) I'm excited for more :)

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG!!! I loved this chapter so much. Well done too. You explained the situation very well and I'm glad that James put fools gold in the sacks cuz that was very clever. :) Can't wait for more.

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh, this was so sweet!:) It really put a smile on my face, and I can't wait to read more!

I love the simple descriptions you put in these books. They give the reader more of an idea of what's going on, yet you don't overbear us with details. The descriptions are fabulous. Also, you keep it simple, but the emotion really gets to the reader. This book is fantastic. :))

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2011
Last Updated on January 15, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


19) Surprise 19) Surprise

A Chapter by Kelly M.