Command

Command

A Chapter by Isemay

Cerik hadn’t anticipated ever needing to chide Prince Malav’s men, but when the carriage had begun to lurch and sway and the clearly audible sounds of enthusiastic affections being exchanged were heard, they had begun to comment on it. Sharp looks had not sufficed. He had been required to remind them that they were reputed to be the most disciplined and trustworthy of his Highness’ troops, and that his Highness’ enjoyment of his wife was high on the list of things they should not speak of.


When they arrived at the humble Keep, still a day’s travel from the border of Cearazon, he set about finding something else for the Lady Charyic to wear. The Lord here was glad to have his daughter lend clothes to her, but unfortunately, his daughter was a great deal larger than the Prince’s wife. It would be easier to have something made than to take in the dresses offered. It took the offended Lord seeing the diminutive Charyic in her traveling clothes next to his tall, robust daughter to grudgingly come to the same conclusion.


Cerik also noted that, while the Lady Charyic smiled politely, she was often silent when she should be graciously effusive with her thanks. The girl also lacked the manners required to make a good impression at court. He needed to discuss this with Prince Malav. Lessons could be discreetly arranged.


He waited until she was bathing to broach the subject. The discovery that she could only speak when she was touching the Prince or his staff could absolve her of some rudeness, and would help to explain some of her poor manners to any who required an explanation. Cerik was rather pointed about Lady Charyic requiring lessons to remedy the rest. Prince Malav was equally as pointed about not seeing the need for them.


Cerik had to bite his tongue. There was a difference between knowing the rules of polite society and choosing to break them, and blundering through in ignorance. The first time his wife publically embarrassed him he would be furious with her and she would have no notion of what she had done wrong.


He tried again, carefully bringing up the subject with Lady Charyic. She looked thoughtful. Unfortunately, her response in Iskesh was more complex than he could understand. He thought the matter would be forgotten, but he was summoned almost immediately after she was back in Prince Malav’s company.


He walked in to find her arguing with the annoyed Prince.


Prince Malav looked up with a great deal of displeasure. “Cerik. I thought I made it clear that she does not require lessons in manners.”


“And I I thought I made it clear that Cerik has a good point. Nobles have different rules of what’s permitted and what’s not and what’s polite and what’s not. If you walk into a thieves’ den without knowing the rules you’re a dead man, having met you I can’t imagine walking into a room full of your kin will be much different. I need to know the rules.” Charyic’s half teasing tone was offset by the look of determination in her eyes.


That she compared the Cearazon royalty to a den of thieves and suggested they might kill her was shockingly inappropriate. Cerik took a moment to formulate a reply.


“Anyone who even thinks of harming you will be dead before he can finish his drink.” Prince Malav looked amused.


“Your Highness, you shouldn’t encourage that kind of inappropriateness. And it’s far less likely that they would try to harm her than it is they would make her wish she were dead with their barbs and insults.” As Cerik watched the effect of his words on Lady Charyic’s face he knew the Prince would be furious.


The look on Prince Malav’s face made Cerik begin to back from the room.


“Cerik?” Lady Charyic spoke quietly, “Do what you need to do to arrange lessons. Please.”


“At once, Lady Charyic.” He bowed and stepped out of the room with relief. He could hear the Prince’s low angry voice before he stepped away from the door. He hoped the girl knew what she had gotten herself into with her command.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on July 28, 2017
Last Updated on July 28, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay