I told you so

I told you so

A Chapter by Isemay

Cearaden, the seat of royal power for the kingdoms that had once been Luzoron and Cearad, was cold but the sun shone brightly on it as the carriage approached. Charyic couldn’t help but feel nervous despite Malav’s insistence that there was nothing that would warrant it. She had made him help her with her curtsy until he insisted it was flawless, and even Cerik assured her it was suitable for the King. That was the only trick she had in her bag for the occasion and she felt woefully unprepared.


King Iotav summoned his son before him immediately upon their arrival. Malav sent Cerik with her to make certain she had everything she could need. He wanted her to wash and find clothing fit for an audience. Charyic actually felt grateful for the direction.


Without Malav or his staff she was afraid to open her mouth, Cerik was careful to ask yes or no questions but the other servants seemed not to notice that she was only answering with nods and shakes of her head. Cerik helped select a green gown that brightened her muddy green eyes and chose a style for her hair that made her look elegant. By the time she was dressed and ready to go join Malav she looked like someone else entirely. She looked like a lady.


Cerik escorted her to the door of the chamber where she would be given audience. “Remember, Lady Charyic, be proud and err on the side of politeness.”


She smiled and in Iskesh made the gestures for run if it goes bad.


Cerik tried not to laugh. “That would not be advisable.” She grinned and he looked at her fondly smoothing a stray hair back into place. “Don’t keep them waiting.”


She nodded and stepped to the door and he gave the signal to have it opened. She waited. Charyic took a deep breath, Malav had said his father might try to keep her waiting. He said it would not be for long. She rolled from heel to toe and back again. She hadn’t expected a warm welcome. When the door finally opened she waited a moment before she stepped in.


Malav was sitting on an ornate chair with a scowl. The room was decorated with hunting trophies and a man who looked a great deal like Malav, except for his eyes, sat regally behind a carved desk. Charyic moved to Malav before giving her very best curtsy. He reached out and took her hand and she turned her head to smile at him.


His face softened. “Father, this is my Charyic.”


Charyic turned her face back to the King whose face had settled into a disdainful frown. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, your Majesty.” She said politely.


“I loathe liars.” Malav’s grip tightened on her hand as his father’s cool words were spoken.


Charyic looked at the King carefully. “Very well, your Majesty. I was cautioned to err on the side of politeness. I can err on the side of honesty if you prefer it. I’m not very good at walking the tightrope in between the two.”


A faint smile crossed the King’s lips. “You’re not noble by birth.”


“No, not that I’m aware of, your Majesty.”


“You couldn’t have thought I’d allow him to marry some common street walker. Why did you pursue my son?”


“I didn’t pursue him, your Majesty. And I’m a thief, not a street walker.”


The King looked almost amused. “You say that with pride.”


“I am prouder to be a thief than I am to have been cursed by Anyk. Blessed is what the priests and your son call it, it’s what his Grimness called it as well. But I did not ask to be forced to sing, your Majesty. That I can speak when I’m touching Malav or his staff is a blessing.”


“Prince Malav, or his Highness. You will address him by his title as is respectful.” He dropped his gaze to Malav, “She is entirely unsuitable for marriage but I could see the appeal of having her for a mistress.”


Malav’s face was livid.


“I told you so.”


Both Malav and the King snapped their eyes to her. Charyic caressed Malav’s face. “I told my love that his father would not be thrilled when he brought me home. And I was certain his father had some pretty little, pedigreed princess lined up for him.”


“You were told-” The King’s cool voice made her angry.


“My husband knows when I’m being disrespectful to him. He can feel me through his staff.” She fixed the King with a cool look. “He used it to hunt me down as if I were a hare. And I have learned that he is as stubborn as a blood stain and twice as nasty if you cross him.” At the shocked look on the King’s face she smiled, “Ask him to tell you about stealing me from the Light Bringers and taking me to the shrine of roots. I did not seduce your son, he seduced me. And if he was willing to go through so much trouble for me, when I’m only a thief and a cursed one at that, I will do whatever is necessary to remain with him.”


The King looked almost apoplectic. “Whatever husband you may have, my son is not him.”


“I have claimed her. I was given that choice by Malies. She is my wife, by the common law. My intent was declared, and we have taken each other. Your blessing is desired but not required, father.” Malav rose gracefully and Charyic looked up at his defiant face with pride. He looked down at her with a wry smile, “I will, however, chide my wife thoroughly for her rudeness.”


“You would give up your birthright for a common w***e?” The King rose and hissed.


“I was granted the staff and I am heir to the horned crown. I give up nothing.”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on July 28, 2017
Last Updated on August 10, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay