Beautiful

Beautiful

A Chapter by Isemay

Charyic was still tired, the excitement of the previous day and the travel that had come before it had left her in need of rest. When Malav woke her in the middle of the night she was confused and half drowsed as she waited for him to return to the carriage. His return, however, was much too eager for her liking.


His kiss was glorious but not when all she wanted was to sleep. Charyic kissed him for a moment and tried to pull away and when he became insistent she fixed him with a look of annoyance and pressed a hand firmly to his chest to stop him. She handed him his staff and saw the frustration on his face as he realized he wouldn’t be doing any more kissing tonight. Deciding that sleeping alone was a better option she settled on the opposite seat and laid down. She was genuinely surprised at his stricken face.


As Malav stepped from the carriage with his staff, she felt guilty and annoyed. She thought about going after him but once she was horizontal again the heaviness of sleep pulled her down relentlessly. Waking up alone in the morning, Charyic was stiff and a feeling of guilt for not having gone after Malav the night before weighed on her. She stretched and climbed out of the carriage looking at the tents with a frown. The thought of going tent to tent to find him was not a pleasant one.


She stood waiting for a moment to see if anyone would come out of them, and was relieved to see Cerik rounding one with a cloth covered platter. She headed toward him with a tentative smile.


Cerik looked pleased to see her, at least. “I’m taking his Highness breakfast, did you wish to join him?” At her hesitant look, he inquired, “Did he upset you?”


She half smiled and shook her head making the Iskesh gesture for the other way.


Cerik’s face lit up.


The older man made a clicking chitter between his cheek and teeth and Charyic grinned responding with an incredulous clucking sound and opening her arms wide.


He laughed loudly and then shook his head. “No, I’m not a thief, but I,” he paused as if remembering something fondly, “knew one once.” He smiled at her warmly. “If you upset him, he’ll need time to cool his temper. I imagine he’ll be eager to see you again if you come with me to look in on him, he adores you.”


Charyic felt herself blushing. She nodded and gestured that she would follow.


The older man nodded still smiling and led the way. She let Cerik go into the tent first and hesitated outside, maybe she should go back and wait at the carriage. She could hear their low voices, but not quite make out what was being said.


Cerik peered out with a smile, “Come in, please. He was asking if you’d woken.”


She nodded, and her lips twisted wryly. He must still be angry if he didn’t want to touch the staff and find out himself. She entered the tent nervously and saw him lying on a low soldier’s cot with a book of poetry. The staff was leaned against the tent wall near him.


“I will leave the two of you to talk.” Cerik lifted the cloth from the tray of sliced bread and cheese and slipped out leaving Charyic looking at the prince who was frowning and not looking up from his book.


She sighed and moved to look at the food on the platter, perched on cleverly folding stool legs. It didn’t look like what she would have expected him to eat, she’d expected something more decadent like cakes or a whole chicken. He snorted. She turned her head to see him holding the book in one hand and the other had fingers resting lightly on the staff.


She grinned at him, Pretending to ignore me would work better if you didn’t have to go out of your way to hear me.


Malav’s smile as he looked up from his book was somehow reminiscent of the cool tone of voice he had used with her before, it looked vaguely dangerous.


She felt herself blushing again. He might look like he could strike fear into the hearts of a hundred Light Bringers but he was also beautiful, those eyes… she had never seen anything like them.


“I have been told all of my life, that my eyes are hideous. Terrifying. They are the eyes of a monster.” Malav’s face was unreadable again.


Then they’re blind. Your eyes are beautiful. Charyic smiled at him.


“But you still find me terrifying. I could strike fear into the hearts of a hundred Light Bringers.”


That has nothing to do with your eyes. The way you carry yourself is like a clenched fist or a drawn sword. Your face is dour until you smile, and then … Her cheeks were red, she could feel it, and his black opal eyes were amused for a moment.


“I wouldn’t have forced myself on you. It was hurtful that you thought it better to sleep alone.” He sat up on the cot and set his book aside, pulling the staff closer.


The way the blanket fell across his lap left no doubt in her mind that he slept naked and she was suddenly more than a little sorry she hadn’t been awake enough to want to join him.


His face split into a pleased grin. “That is what I ached to know. That you feel the desire for me that I feel for you.”


Charyic blushed furiously. I don’t know what you feel for me but, your Highness, you are-


“Malav.” He spoke it as he stood, letting the blanket fall, and moved closer, “If I cannot hear you speak my name I would have you think it.”


She kept her eyes on his face despite the desperate temptation to drop them lower. Malav. Beautiful damns you with faint praise. And I do want you.


“But?” He frowned and pulled her against him and her eyes moved to his chest, bare skin she wanted to touch and kiss. He tilted her face up, “But?” The hunger in his voice was clear, any obstacle she laid out would be flattened immediately.


You’re a Prince. I’m a thief. How would this work? You’d pretend I’m not what I am?


He scowled. “You are a worthy wife. That you are a thief is not something I am ashamed of.”


And your father will be thrilled when you bring me home? He didn’t have some pretty little princess with a pedigree lined up for you? The thought was bitter, he could have anyone, and he was meant to be with someone better. Someone would make sure he ended up with better.


A wicked grin slowly broke over his face and she could feel that she was in trouble. “You worry I will abandon you for another. That I will turn my affections to someone richer or better bred, when I haven’t already chosen to do so?” He kissed her ardently and when he broke the kiss he spoke with quiet and unshakable resolve, “I have made my choice, Charyic.” His breath was warm as he kissed her neck, “My wife.” He groaned as she began to kiss his chest, “My falconet.”


He began to pull at the fasteners on her travel clothes urgently and her gaze fell on the cot, Is that going to be sturdy enough?


His soft laughter made her forget her concerns about the cot.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 25, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay