Could not alter

Could not alter

A Chapter by Isemay

When Ivhir opened the carriage door and ducked inside he was surprised to see Esus pulled into a passionate embrace, kissing Charyic. He grinned as Esus straightened and turned red. “Was I supposed to ride outside? It seems like the two of you might need a chaperone.”


Esus blushed and grinned, tilting his head away as Charyic traced the lines of his red ear with a mischievous grin. “Yes and yes.”


Ivhir laughed. “Has she been this affectionate since you rescued her?”


He watched Charyic grin and cluck before making an odd gesture.


“Truthfully, she rescued me.” Esus smiled and took hold of her hand. “I was in a cell and my beauty killed two armed guards with Malav’s staff to free me and take me with her.”


“She stole Malav’s staff?” Ivhir leaned forward, staring intently at the girl. “That’s something he would have kept with him at all times.”


She snorted and clucked again shaking her head.


“I don’t think he placed a great deal of value on it. Not as much as he should have. The priest of Malies said something… If Malav obeyed as well as my Charyic she would not believe their union to be dissolved.” Charyic shivered and Esus put his arm around her and pulled her close.


“Malies doesn’t consider it dissolved then.” Ivhir watched the girl move her arms protectively over her belly. “Why would he care one way or the other?”


“Malav owes him the first child his wife bears.” Esus laid his own hand on Charyic’s rounded belly and she pressed his hand against it making him smile. “Malav should find another wife to pay his debt. My beauty will be keeping hers.”


With a great deal of teasing Ivhir drew the tale of their escape from Luzoron out of Esus. The tale Charyic had told him of her escape in the trunk, made Ivhir grin at her. He’d had a feeling Malav was smuggling her out but without finding her he’d thought he was mistaken. And when Esus spoke of what a lovely bird she had made Ivhir teased him mercilessly about him never having seen her as anything else until Esus glowered at him and Charyic made soothing chirruping noises with a mischievous sparkle in her green-brown eyes.


Sitting back, Ivhir looked at the pair with amusement. Esus looked like a man brightly blessed and grateful for it. Charyic looked like a woman under some sort of spell, adoring and somehow dreamy.


Stopping for the night, Miryil barked her orders, “We keep a watch. Ivhir, Erech, we’ll be taking shifts.”


Ivhir opened his mouth to ask why Esus wasn’t taking a shift, and then he realized Esus had his own duty. “Why does he get the duty of cuddling and kissing and we have to keep watch all night?” He grinned as he teased the man, watching his ears turn red.


Charyic made a chiding noise at him.


“Chide me all you want, little bird. I saw the way you had him blushing in the carriage.” He laughed as her cheeks colored and she grinned back at him.


“The two of you should encourage each other for some useful purpose.” Miryil spoke dryly. “Other than seeing how red Esus’ ears can turn.” Her sharp look at Charyic told him that she blamed the girl for most of it. “Esus, was there something sent for dinner or will you be hunting for us?”


“We have dinner, Miryil. And I couldn’t leave her to go hunting if there wasn’t.” Esus gave a look and a nod to Charyic and she turned to fetch something from within the carriage. “My orders are to stay close.”


“I heard the song at the temple, Esus. I don’t think you’d leave her if they ordered you to.” Miryil smiled grimly.


The smile that lit Esus’ face at the mention of the song made Ivhir ask, “What song?”


“A love song.” Miryil answered with annoyance.


Ivhir laughed, “Am I the only one who hasn’t heard her sing it?”


Charyic grinned impishly at him as she handed Esus the sack he had sent her for. She opened her mouth and the song that came out made the hair on his neck stand on end and the other three Light Bringers stop and stare. Her song of noble sacrifice and death in glorious battle seemed to surprise even her.


Miryil whispered, “‘The falconet could not alter the songs falling from her lips if she wished to, they come from the goddess herself.’”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on August 11, 2017
Last Updated on August 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay