Book 1 - Chapter 2: Bandit

Book 1 - Chapter 2: Bandit

A Chapter by Pakino

 

“Renn are you ready,” shouted Yaroh from ahead of the caravan.

            “Yes, father I am ready,” Renn placed his flute in his hidden pocket underneath his sash and ran towards his father. Baltasear was waiting for him in surprise.

            “Renn are you heading out today?” Asked Baltasear. Renn smiled and nodded, “Well make sure you bring be make something good to eat.”

            “No way!” Shouted Renn, “If I do that your going to get fat and big.”

            “No I wont,” Baltasear shouted with a hint of anger, “Make sure you come back quick okay.”

            Renn nodded and looked at his father who stood beside him. Yaroh picked up Renn and placed him on top of the saddle and began to fix himself to the seat.  Looking towards Baltasear, Yaroh said, ”Your father is on this caravan as well Baltasear?”

            Baltasear nodded shyly as Yaroh continued, “Why don’t you go visit him before we depart.”

            Baltasear quickly left running towards the back of the caravan towards where his father’s post was. The sight of caravans in Gry has been suddenly increasing. Many merchants have begun to hire local soldiers and mercenaries to help protect them from nearby bandits. As the number of caravan escorts increase so do the number of bandit’s that attack the caravan.

            With the sound of the horn the caravan began to move forward. Renn looked in awe as he looked behind at the few dozen warriors who slowly walked alongside or on their personal steed. Renn decided to awake the spirit of the group by playing a song on his flute.

Grabbing hold of the flute Renn began to play a delicate song. Each note played on the wooden flute was clear and crisp not a break or pause was heard. Softly and gently Renn began to inhale into the reed, presenting his soul as a whole.

Everyone in the caravan listened to the song with attention as Renn’s playing brought back memories of the time of peace when the world wasn’t troubled by bandits or civil wars.

As the song finished Renn calmly placed the flute on the ground and looked at his father who began to show a tear on his face.

“Father, are you alright?” Asked Renn curiously.

Smiling Yaroh wiped away the tears and said, “Yes. You play the flute like the wind. For some reason today the song felt special to me.”

Renn began to chuckle lightly and smiled back. Renn quickly got of the seat and said, “I will be back I want to see everyone.”

“Do not stray far,” shouted Yaroh.

Renn began to walk along the side of the caravan looking at the caravan and the men closely attached to it.  One of the guards spotted Renn and waved to him saying, “Little Master, your flute playing is quite the something.”

Renn blushed at the man’s comment and replied back, “Thank you.” Renn quickly gave a polite bow and began head to the back of the caravan hiding his identity as he went. The caravan stretched for what seemed like 250 meters long. The men escorting the caravan were spread out and covering a large distance. This would help them to scout the area faster for any potential danger or obstacles that would arise.

As Renn skipped along, a cloaked  figure at a distance noticed Renn’s presence and hid behind a nearby tree. Looking back the man stared at a group of men which have extended their swords and looking around anxiously.

The man motioned for one of the men to come closer and began to whisper something in his ear. The man nodded to the request and began to raise both his hands in the heavens and began to conjure energy into his hand. As a green light began to materialize between his hands the man whispered,

 

“Arc of Lightning

Strike forth with justice

Shatter Light!”

 

            A ball of lightning began to replace the green light as the man threw the ball with one hand at the caravan. The ball of lightning hit the center of the caravan causing lightning sparks to fly back and forth. Burning, impaling anything that came in contact.

            The men at the caravan quickly extended their swords and noticed the group of bandits advancing towards them. Yaroh quickly turned his horse around and looked frantically for Renn. However the blast had ignited some of the items causing flames to spout in all directions.

            “Renn!” Yaroh shouted as we began to pace back and forth for any sign of life.

            “Father! Help me!” Shouted Renn.

            Yaroh ran towards Renn’s voice and noticed that one of the bandits had gotten hold of him. Yaroh grabbed hold of his spear and charged forward at the bandits ahead. Like a demon possessed Yaroh ran through the enemy lines like thunder piercing anything that came near him.

            An arrow flew towards Yaroh piercing his horse. The horse fell down along with Yaroh, however that didn’t stop the determination in Yaroh’s eyes. Grabbing hold of his spear Yaroh ran towards the man holding Renn captive.

Noticing Yaroh’s advance the man quickly threw down Renn knocking him unconscious and raised his hand towards Yaroh. With a vicious grin the man began to chant,

“Strong and firm

Burn with the power of hell

Flame Wall.”

`          

Instantly, a pillar of flame occurred in front of Yaroh’s path surrounding him. Yaroh stared through the fire at the man who held Renn captive and in one final hope threw his spear at the man. The intense fire burned Yaroh’s arm ruining his aim as the spear landed short. The man laughed at Yaroh’s attempt and picked up Renn saying, “A Elven sells well in the market.”

With that the man left Yaroh trapped in the barrier of fire. His mind full of anger and sadness, as Yaroh slowly watched his son leave him forever.



© 2008 Pakino


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
1 Review
Added on August 14, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino