Book 2: Chapter 1 - "War upon thee"

Book 2: Chapter 1 - "War upon thee"

A Chapter by Pakino

 

“Stay together everyone!” Shouted the general as he raced is horse towards the front of the vanguard, “The battle has already begun since we left our homes.”

It has been two days already since the small force of 1000 men left to defend the fort east of Gaia. Within the ranks were many youth who were excited to be on a campaign however have not taken a life of a human soul. The general knew this fact and he was worried if his small force will be able to hold the fort.

Each infantry displayed the flag of Liongull with pride. The vanguard was comprised of spearmen and swordsmen, while the rearguard had an array of elemental users and bowmen.

“General Garry!” Shouted the scout who returned from the roads ahead.

The general looked back and received the man as he said, “The Chosen One, Renn, is at the fort along with the main forces from Clestia.”

“Good, we shall now see what The Chosen One is really made of.”

            Night settled as the small regiment arrived at the fort. Yaroh stood on watchtower as he shouted to the group, “Men from Liongull you are expected please come inside.”

            Yaroh opened the doors allowing the men to enter with safety. As Garry looked inside he was surprised to notice how a small town had turned into a fortress. Inside women and children were located within the deep corners of the fort. Many armed men walked freely around carrying their brandished spears with swords as if it were their lost love.

            Yaroh approached them as he said, “Follow me, your men can rest here.”

Garry nodded as he signaled for his men to rest. The group let out a loud sigh as they dropped their luggage on the ground. It had been a hard two days of travel. Yaroh noticed how exhausted the men were and ordered a nearby attendant to provide their hosts with food and water.

            Yaroh and Garry soon reached a house located nearby. Yaroh opened the door and entered with Garry. Yaroh quickly walked inside and went straight towards the main room. Inside voices were heard as Garry became curious as to who could be The Chosen One.

            As they entered, Sy looked up and noticed Garry. Standing up he said, “Garry its been a while how have you been?”

            Garry smiled as he said, “I am well. Are you in charge here Sy?”

            Sy shook his head as he pointed to Renn who stared attentively at a map placed on the table.

            “The Chosen One?” Garry said as he saluted Renn.

            Renn turned his attention towards Garry and said, “General Garry please come this way we are formulating our strategy.”

            Garry nodded as he walked forward to Renn, “Tell me General,” Renn continued, “How many soldiers have the people of Liongull have spared us?”

            Garry looked away in humiliation as he said, “1000.”

            “That’s all?”

            “Yes.”

            “Tell me General do you trust us?”

            “I don’t understand,” said the General hesitating.

            “Leave him be Renn,” said Khalon who stood watching the two, “More importantly he must figure how to act.”

            “Garry as you are informed large host of Dark Knights are advancing West. It appears the Elven from Willstaff and the Dark Knights are trying to seize control of the continent. With the forces we have we have been able to push back their advance. However we have lost several strategic points. Basilt is now in control of the enemy and they are in good position to attack either us or your people.”

            “Are you saying the Dark Knights will attack Valencia? Garry said suddenly.

            “Yes they will, we have already contacted the Magicked Lands for assistance but they refuse to take part in the battle. It seems they want to take a neutral stance,” Khalon said.

            Garry began to look around as he turned around and began to rush out, “We have already sent a messenger this morning informing the King of the certain circumstance do not worry,” Khalon said.

            Garry walked towards the map and looked at the sheet in silence, Renn looked at him as Garry fell in deep thought.

            “It is wise to counter the enemy at Basilt, through a counter attack. If we can send word to the King to send men to attack the western flank we could strike from the south causing chaos.”

            “The southern flank is steep in slope and is not to our favor,” Sy said, “We must draw the enemy out. Let us use the hills of the western flank to our favor while using the elementals to draw out the enemy. Dark Knights are melee combatants and will come out to fight, however I am only afraid of the Elven stationed in the town. Elven ancient magic is deadly thus I do not know if it will be successful.”

            “I say lets do it,” Renn said with a hint of enthusiasm.

            Khalon smiled as he placed his hand on Renn’s head, “We will immediately send word to the King and make preparations to move to the western flank.”

            Khalon began to walk away as he whispered to Garry’s ears, “Don’t worry we will be victorious.”

            Khalon made his way outside, and began to walk deep into the town until he reached a house no bigger than the one he left earlier. Inside Sylvia and Nell were sharpening swords and preparing rations for the army. Even though Sylvia has skills in martial arts, she decided to remain behind in preparing the military for battle.

            “We will be heading out tomorrow morning, please send word to Oracle Ille,” Khalon said.

            Nell immediately stopped what she was doing and left Sylvia and the others as she called for the Oracle to appear. The Oracle slowly walked towards Khalon who kneeled down towards the Oracle as he said, “Peace! We leave tomorrow Oracle I would humbly request that you stay behind and guard the fortress with your magic.”

            The Oracle smiled as he said, “I was intending on doing that Khalon, have the troops from Liongull arrived?” 

            “Yes, but it seems the King is hesitant to our cause, even though he is a victim to the war such as us.”

            The Oracle shook his head out of disappointment as he said, “Once the flames of war hit his people he will send word for aid.”

            Khalon slowly stood up as he paid his respects to the Oracle, however before he left he approached Nell as he said, “Visit Renn, for I do not know long this campaign will take.”

            Since the night when both Nell and Renn professed their love for each other, their bond for each other slowly grew. Khalon knew of this but didn’t say anything, he knew how inside they both ached to see one another however duties of war made it impossible for both to see one another.  Using the opportunity she had she made her way to visit Renn. However as she opened the door to leave Renn stood there waiting.

            Surprised and shocked Renn immediately hugged her as he said, “Come with me!”

            Tears formed on Nell’s eyes as she held onto Renn harder, “Idiot….why don’t you be selfish yourself.”

            Renn simply smiled as he said, “I only wish the best for both you and I.”

            The moon illuminated Renn’s face as he thought in his head, “Why cannot the world be as pure as the moon in the sky?”   

 



© 2009 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
sorry for grammar and the delay in posting, i have been caught up with ALOT of things lol enjoy. I am taking this part slow to make sure the story is good and well done.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

When are you gonna publish this for like public consumption? cause It's something i'd put on my amazon.com wish list

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
Added on January 11, 2009


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino