Book 1 - Chapter 10: Breath of War

Book 1 - Chapter 10: Breath of War

A Chapter by Pakino

 

“Sy! Help me!”

 

            Sy awoke from his dream as he noticed his face was covered in perspiration. Grabbing his cape he wiped the sweat from his face and lay back on the soft earth. However, the words echoed within him, the very same dream that haunted him over the past few years.  The image of a girl facing death, her last words that of Sy.

            Staring at the starts and at the crescent moon Sy whispered, “Angela…its been a while”

            As morning came Sy gathered his belongings and began to head off. The soft breeze fluttered his long brown hair. The paleness in Sy’s skin seemed animated as the breeze seemed to bring life into the Dark Knights heart.

“The town is up ahead,” Sy said to himself, “Must be off now.”

It has been over three years since Sy left Gaia. During that time Sy ventured to the Lost Island of Lore. Hiding underground Sy was able to gather data about the movements of the Emperor of the lands and Sy’s sudden return was welcomed with curiosity.

As Sy entered the town he immediately went towards Khalon’s residence. The sounds of the birds in the gardens provided relief to Sy, as he soon remembered that there was a place called ‘home’. Upon stepping foot through the gates Sy looked around and found that inside the halls were a bit quiet. Unsure of what was happening Sy began to walk around in search for anyone.. Sy noticed a male servant walking around. Motioning him for assistance the man came towards Sy.

“Ah it’s you Sir Sy! Good day!” The servant responded as he came closer to Sy.

“Fastfoot?” Sy aksed.

“Yes, that is the name I have been given in this house. Lord Khalon is in the training room with Lord Renn and Mistress Sylvia.”

“Thanks for the help, here is something,” Sy said as he produced a bag of gold coins and placing it in Fastfoot’s hand.

“Sir Sy, but…”

Sy began to laugh as he said, “I don’t need any of it. Since I have been living in the wild and don’t need gold to make ends meet. I must be off.”

Sy left the surprised Fastfoot in the hallway as he walked slowly towards the training room. Shouts and war cries soon reached Sy’s ear as he came closer to the training room. Sy decided that he would stand outside and watch the practice session making his presence unknown.

Sy noticed that Renn and Sylvia were engaged in a sparing match. Renn held onto his flute while Sylvia held a bow with a set of practice arrows. They both were trapped in a deadlock. Khalon looked away for a moment at the sparing match and saw Sy and just smiled as he continued to watch the match in curiosity.

Renn quickly grabbed hold of his flute and began to play a soft melody. Sylvia quickly tried to counter Renn by disturbing his spell with her arrow. However Renn had gotten stronger and was able to cast a protective barrier around him quicker, faster.

Without placing his arms down Renn began to play another melody, which echoed throughout the room reaching Sylvia’s ears. For a moment Sylvia looked at curiosity at what effect the spell would have. Acting calm for a moment was her mistake; before she knew it her body had stiffened paralyzing her. Sylvia’s grip on her bow released as she began to sweat furiously trying to regain her strength.  Renn smiled for he knew he had won the battle. Within seconds of releasing her bow Sylvia fell to the ground and collapsed. All her strength within her vanished leaving her with no support to hold her up.

Khalon walked into the sparing match and said, “Good, you utilized the Spirit Teku and Matra. Very good, for your next practice go against…….. Sy.”

Sy stepped into the room and walked over to Sylvia. Though the magic that bind her had fallen she stood there frozen, as if entranced by the dark knight’s poison.

            Sy extended his hand and pulled Sylvia to her feet. Sylvia smiled as he said, “Welcome back Sy!”

            “Its seems I have gone for a decade,” Sy said as Sylvia stood on her feet, “I cannot believe you lost to a child.”

            “Child? Renn is no child he has matured into a fine Bard,” Sylvia replied in protest.

            “Ahem,” Khalon’s gruff voice was overheard in the gym, “Sy, lets begin we can talk after.”

            Sy agreed as he turned his attention to Renn, who stood silently holding onto his flute. Sy grabbed out his sword and said, “I wont go all out, but I will only test your skill.”

            “I wont hold back,” said Renn,

            Sy smiled at Renn’s confidence as he placed his sword horizontally in front of his chest and began to chant:

 

“Blood of the Gods

Curse of the Devil

Blessings from Hell

Angelic Doom”

 

            A dark mist began to form in the room clouding Renn’s visibility and any trace of light. The darkness of the room created fear into Renn’s mind like a river of blood, as anxiety stripped Renn of any form of sanity. His hands began to shake as he made an effort to raise the flute. However the fear and pain Renn felt, made it seem as if a thousand hands were holding him down. From the corner of Renn’s eye a figure dressed in rags appeared with angelic wings protruding from its back.  The figure glided forward carrying a scythe. The majestic and eerie movements of the figure struck fear into Renn’s soul, as Renn realized that the figure was a Harbinger of Death. Out of fear Renn quickly evoked a fire spell which missed the ghostly figure, hitting the ground vanquishing the only trace of light available.

Renn quickly shouted,

“Swords are Iron

Mind is Water

Spirit is Wind

Brandishing Blade”

 

As the flute changed form Renn ran towards the figure out of fear. Fighting for his life Renn began to attack the figure with blindness. Not once did Renn think of death. Death was hidden to Renn and to experience death was another thing.  Shielded by his peers, placed in a safe haven did not at once concur to Renn as to what was death?

As Renn blindly raged forward the figure calmly and softly dodged the attacks. Floating gently the figure pranced as if amused by the actions of the Elven before him.

Instantly the angelic wings of the figure fell like leaves in autumn, leaving behind wings that resembled thorns. Renn jumped back from the figure while gripping onto his split blade. Unaware of what to expect Renn assumed a defensive stance while wiping the sweat of his face.

The figure let out a blood curdling cry as it began to approach Renn with scythe in hand. Panicked, Renn tossed his split blade at the figure and began to run. There was no escape, the figure reached Renn in moments and raised his scythe in an attempt to slice Renn.

“Sy, that’s enough!” Came Sylvia’s voice through the darkness.

“Sy! Release the spell,” Khalon soon said.

Instantly, the darkness slowly disappeared and light soon reached Renn’s eyes. The bright light burned Renn’s vision as he covered his eyes, allowing them to adjust naturally. Falling on his knees Renn began to breathe heavily. Sylvia ran towards Renn’s aid and began to wipe the sweat of his face.

Sy looked on and calmly placed his sword in his sheath. Khalon walked towards Sy and landed a fist at his face. Sy slightly moved back from the force and stared at Khalon in wonder.

“Not smart, you know very well he wasn’t ready!”

“It was to gauge his skill,” Sy said, “If you’re going to teach him to be battle ready its better to make him prepared for the worst.”

Khalon soon calmed down as he shook his head and said, “Follow me.”

Khalon exited the training room along with Sy who followed behind. From the corner of Sy’s eye he noticed Sylvia’s eye glare at him as a look of disappointment ran through her face. Sy turned his focus away from her as he continued to walk through the hallway. They both soon reached the courtyard where Khalon turned around and quickly punched Sy at his face.

“That’s just to wake you up!”

Sy shrugged of the punch and stood up, “Hit me if you like, but you know I am right.”

“Alright lets forget about it!” Khalon said as he turned around and tossed a cloth from within his pocket, “wipe of the blood from your mouth.”

“Thanks…I guess,”  Sy said sarcastically.

“So tell me what did you find out?”

Sy rested against a nearby wall as he began to explain the events that unfolded during his travels, “Let me first ask you Khalon, you are aware the sacrifice a Dark Knight undergoes?”

“I believe you explained to me already the sacrifice. What does this have to do with the Lost Island of Lore?,” Khalon said with a hint of suspicion.

“When I arrived at Gulde to find a boat to lead me to the continent, I heard stories about an emergence of a Dark Knight in the Lost Island of Lore that reaffirmed my suspicion, and how strange events are occurring in the Island. My boat landed at Krist, the village port of the continent. I didn’t want to make myself known so I decided to stay with the villagers. I soon hid my identity and removed my armor and placed on local clothing.  I had placed my armor in care of a friend in Gulde, so I wasn’t worried about anything. In Krist I heard stories of the rise of a new Emperor in the continent. It seems the Dark Knight had gathered support from the locals and began to overthrow the King and Queen. From several stories I heard the King and Queen escaped but were slaughtered by the new Emperor.”

“King Ire and Queen Illisa! Are you serious?” Khalon said surprised in a loud tone.

“Unfortunately, the new Emperor who goes by the name of Death has suddenly begun to gather a military force in the continent. His aim and goal is unknoun, but it seems that many people are recruited daily to serve in the military.”

Khalon wore a serious expression, as Sy began to retell his observations. Khalon couldn’t belive the events that had occurred. Years had passed and not once did the news from the Lost Island of Lore reach the ears of the people in Gaia.  As Sy explained Khalon soon realized that the outside world has been concealing information from the town.

Khalon soon panicked within as he thought about his neighboring allies and if they had any stake in hiding information from him.

“I deicded to head towards the main city of Pletoria to witness the recruitment myself. From watching the troops stationed at the city I can say with confidence that the Emperor is creating an army of Dark Knights.”

“What!” Shouted Khalon.

“The new recruits need a sacrifice for the Spirit of death Moet. This is the rule for any Dark Knight. Without sacrifice a there is no dark mana and dark mana is essential for a Dark Knight to fight. They apparently, are sacrificing their souls in exchange for power, but that’s not all. The recruits are also sacrificing their mind for the Emperor.”

“A double sacrifice? Is that possible?”

“It is possible, but is rare. What surprises me is how the Emperor is able to persuade his men to sacrifice their mind for him.”

Khalon shook his head out of disappointment as he said, “With no mind there is no reason. With no reason you are a walking doll.”

“Exactly my point. If that army were to attack us they will slaughter everyone without a single thought. They have become tools of war, and are no longer human anymore.”

“What you say concerns me,” Khalon said, ”I recently had one of my spy’s check out the movements at Lasiey. And apparently they too are getting ready for war. They have gotten the support of neighboring Elven tribes and have massed a large army.”

“Elven warfare is dangerous! I am sure the men at Lasiey have learned and mastered the forbidden Elven arts. Tell me what of the Spirit Tetra?”

“Tetra has not yet broken free from the seal you placed on her. At the moment she still resides in her host. Her host goes by the name of Queen Terra. The seal has weakened and will consume the host, but for now we are safe.”

Sy nodded as he fell silent along with Khalon. Both began to contemplate and reflect on information that came to light. A look of concern fell upon both men as they soon wondered what to do next.

Soon sounds of a cane tapping the ground reached the courtyard as Oracle Ille came towards them. Khalon looked towards the Oracle and greeted him along with Sy.

“Peace! Oracle,” said Khalon.

“Peace!” Responded Sy.

The Oracle nodded as he immediately stopped with his attendant beside him, “Khalon, Sy I have overheard your conversation and I think it is time to bear arms.”

“Oracle forgive me for not informing you of our discussion,” Khalon said as he bowed in apology.

“Do not worry, now is not the time. The situation we face is grave. Send envoys to the Magicked Islands and neighboring allies. The time of war is upon us.”

“Yes Oracle I will go right now,” Khalon said as he rushed of leaving Sy alone with the Oracle.

“Sy, head to Clesita and inform them of the news and tell them to gather their allies.”

Sy nodded as he walked past the Oracle. Sy walked back towards the entrance and was about to leave the compound when Sylvia emerged before him.

“Are you leaving all of a sudden?” She asked.

“Yes.”

“Please…..come back soon,” Sylvia whispered.

“Don’t worry! Remember I am a Dark Knight I am already dead!” Sy said as he mounted on a horse and left.

Sylvia watched Sy as he did two years ago watching his long hair flutter in the wind, his broad shoulders protecting her from the rays of the sun. A small tear fell from Sylvia’s eyes as he whispered to herself, “Idiot! Don’t you realize you have people waiting at ‘home’?”

 

 

Meanwhile, in Lasiey war preparations began to change the landscape of the city. The noise of anvil and hammer filled the bazaar streets as people began to suit up for war as if a festival were occurring. For inside they had faith and confidence that their Queen Terra would lead them to victory.

From within the temple Terra stared at the town streets and noticed how active the locals were about.

They look at us for support,” The voice within Terra spoke

Since the ritual Terra was aware that the presence of the Spirit was within her. At first she would hear a slight noise in her head as a breeze was flowing within her mind. The voice was calm and peaceful, it provided Terra with strength and the will to move forward. Slowly, as time passed, the breeze began to speak to her, providing her with insight and direction. It was at this point that Terra realized that the Spirit Tetra was within her.  Whenever Terra was alone she would have long endless conversations with the Spirit within.

“War is upon us, Spirit!” Terra whispered.

“It is war that is needed for the regeneration that we both desire,”  Tetra said.

“Our guest is late .”

“Do not worry, the Emperor will surly knock on your door.”

Terra soon felt an odd presence near the village. Dark and full of despair the presence slowly edged forward, consuming the fear and despair of the townsfolk as it came closer. The townsfolk continued to work unaware of their guest or what was happening to their souls.

“Our guest has arrived.”

Terra opened the door of her quarters and walked down the marbled staircase and marched towards her throne. The servants and guards of the temple showed signs of fear as the presence came closer.

Without noticed the doors opened forward as a man cloaked in a black robe walked forward. Only the sight of the yellow demonic eyes was visible through the darkness. Beside the man walked a youth clad in black armor and carried a sword on his back. The sight of both of them made the guard near the door tremble slightly as a drop of sweet protruded on his forehead.

“Queen Tetra, I am Emperor Death,” said the man covered in robes.

Tetra smiled as she said, “Welcome honorable guest. For your arrival here signals your approval to join us in arms.”

“Yes,” said the man in deep voice, “I wish to create the world which the Spirit Tetra desires, I am sure if the Spirit Moet was with us that the Spirit too will join arms for the cause.”

From within the darkness Tetra noticed a grin appear on the man.

“Then it is settled,” the voice of the Oracle appeared has he walked over to Tetra, “For a new world and future, let us destroy our enemy before us.”

Emperor Death began to laugh as he said, “Oracle Sage, as per your request for assassinating Oracle Kin as been fulfilled.”

“That was quick!”

“It was not I that executed the final blow, it was him.” The Emperor said as he pointed to the youth who stood in silence.

The boy looked at the Oracle and said in an emotionless voice, “Baltasear.”

“Baltasear the Dark Knight. Truly amazing to see one so young be able to master the skills from the Spirit Moet and attain the power of the Dark Knight.”

“My only goal is to kill one man, I do not care about anything else,” Baltasear said in a cold voice.

Tetra chuckled at Baltasear’s comment and replied, “Little boy, who do you seek?”

“Why should I answer to your filthy bidding,” Baltasear said as he began to walk towards the doors.

“Renn? Is that who you seek,” came the voice of Tius who appeared from within one of the passageways. As Tius walked his heavy armor made no sound. It seemed as if he was wearing light armor opposed to heavy armor.

Tius carried a scythe and grinned at Baltasear. They both exchanged glances and soon were scanning each other’s martial ability.  Tius was the first to react as he glanced away and walked towards Terra.

“I have no time for a child.”

“How do you know Renn?” Shouted Baltasear in anger.

Tius turned around and removed his chest plate revealing a flesh wound. The very same wound that Sy inflicted on Tius remained intact and hadn’t changed since impact. It was as if the wound was frozen in time and space. Silence reached the room as Tius placed back his chest armor and walked towards Terra standing beside her.

“Where is Glen?” Asked Terra

“Training,” Tius simply replied.

Emperor Death walked towards Baltasear and said, “In six moons I will return with my men, I hope you will be ready then my Queen.”

Both men began to walk towards the door and left. However traces of their dark mana lingered in the town, however the madness of the dark mana had no effect. Since, the townsfolk were already consumed with the prospect of war that they were ready to give their lives up.

Terra stood watching the two men leave as she turned her attention to Oracle Sage, “How long will it take for our men to master the hidden arts?”

“Soon they will be ready,” the Oracle said, “I wonder which is stronger the Eleven Hidden Arts or the skills of the Dark Knight.”

Tius grinned as he said, “We will find out once I take the head of the one who gave me this wound.”



© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! for the late post. I was very busy with school and had not time to post. I will try to make it up this month with several posts. But I will say that in 3 or 4 posts there will be alot of action in the story.

November 28, 2008

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

356 Views
Added on November 28, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino