Book 1 - Chapter 11: Precious

Book 1 - Chapter 11: Precious

A Chapter by Pakino

 

“War?” Renn asked as he looked away disappointed.

            “Yes,” said Sylvia, “there seems to be hostilities directed towards us.”

            “They are after me, aren’t they?” Renn asked as he began to show signs of anger.

            “Calm down Renn. I am only telling you this so you are ready.”

            “For what? To fight? I don’t want to fight!”

            “So do you want what is precious to you to die,” said Sylvia, “I too am joining the ranks.”

            Renn fell silent from Sylvia’s words. The news to prepare for battle hurt him deeply, he agreed to practice martial arts but did not want to use it on the battlefield. Renn silently stood up and left Sylvia. Sylvia called out to Renn, however Renn ignored her as he quickly walked out of the mansion and into the bazaar.

 

What is precious to you?

 

 

            How hard the truth of those words hit Renn deeply gashing into his soul. Wandering amongst the streets Renn wasn’t aware he was going and soon realized he had ended up at Lady Aisa’s quarters. Looking at the house as a sign of invitation Renn entered the compound and made his way to the entrance.

            “Renn!” Exclaimed Lady Aisa, “What brings you here today?”

            “I……..I….” Renn said confused.

            “No matter come in, it is always great to have company,” Lady Aisa opened the door for Renn as he freely walked in and walked towards the lounge and sat down. Lady Aisa left Renn for a moment as she began to grab some refreshments leaving Renn alone.

            Renn thought hard as to what to him was precious. Was it his father? Mother? In deep thought Renn began to feel empty inside, as he soon realized he had nothing he could call precious. He began to despise himself at his lack of maturity.

“Hiya, Renn what are you up to today?” Nell said as she peered over Renn’s shoulder.

“Nothing…..” Renn replied sulking.

“What’s wrong with you? Come play us a song it may help cheer you up.”

Renn soon remembered his flute in his pocket and grabbed it out and began to play a song. As the wood touched his mouth Renn placed the flute down and shook his head in disagreement.

“Renn….whats wrong?”

Renn couldn’t help it but he began to cry. Rubbing the tears from his eyes he turned away from Nell and said, “I am fine.”

Lady Aisa at that moment returned and noticed Renn’s state. She placed the tray on a nearby table and said, “Renn is something the matter?”

Renn shook his head as he rubbed his eyes, “I have to go to war.”

Lady Aisa stood motionless as Nell slowly backed away.  Nell showed no sign of surprise or any sadness, she simply walked away from Renn and out the door. Lady Aisa noticed Nell’s behavior but stood in silence.

“Renn, what is precious to you?”

“I don’t know! I have no idea!” Renn said furiously, “why now?”

“Renn do you remember Oracle Ille and what he told you? You are our savior, there are people who will kill you if they found out who you are. Everyone here is fighting for you Renn, you need to believe in everyone. You are their sword and they are your sword.”

Renn stared at the words of Lady Aisa. Her soft caring voice and beautiful smile penetrated Renn’s heart softening and melting the uncertainties that held him. He had forgotten the words of the Oracle and truth behind his words. He felt foolish and felt guilty for acting rudely to Sylvia earlier.  

“I guess I got a bit carried away,” Renn said as he forced a smile.

“Renn, what do you think of Nell?” Lady Aisa inquired suddenly.

“What about her?”

Lady Aisa pointed the door leading outside and said, “She is waiting for you outside.”

Renn stared at the night and soon saw the silhouette of Nell moving away. Renn quickly got up and ran outside and began to search for Nell. In the front yard Nell was nowhere to be seen. Renn quickly walked into the bazaar and noticed Nell running towards the woods. Chasing after her Renn ran with all his speed. The darkness of the streets made it difficult for Renn to notice were he was stepping on, but regardless of the terrain Renn threaded on.

Soon Nell stopped as she reached the woods that lay adjacent to the town. Not a single person was in sight and Nell fell to her knees as she began to softly cry.

“Nell!” Shouted Renn as he came towards her. Walking towards her he kneeled down on the mud and looked at her in the eyes. Renn’s black hair gently moved back and forth from the breeze, entrancing Nell and capturing her attention. Nell immediately embraced Renn’s arms saying, “I don’t want you to go.”

Renn smiled as he said, “I don’t want to go but I have to.”

Nell looked at Renn her beautiful eyes shimmering in the moonlight, “Why?”

“Because I just realized, it is to protect what is precious to me, you.”

Renn placed his lips on Nell as he kissed her romantically.  Peace ran through the veins of both of them as they became entranced by the kiss. Ever since the day they both met at the bazaar Nell had fallen for Renn. She would never admit it, but held it secretly to her heart. As the days passed a hidden love began to occur between the both of them but not one of them said anything about the other.

Nell wiped away her tears as she began to chuckle at what just happened. Renn simply smiled as he stared at the moon saying, “Trust me Nell, and I will trust you.”

“Renn, I want to join!”

Renn looked astonished at Nell’s words, “No! A battlefield is not a place for you at all.”

“I may not be good with a sword but I can help the wounded at the battlefield with my magic.”

Renn looked in wonder and said, “Ask your mother not me.”

“Idiot!”

The two began to laugh and play throughout the night time, while the moon illuminated their path. From the distance Lady Aisa watched the two lovers and beside her stood Sylvia.

“So he has accepted his fate?” Sylvia asked.

“I can sense a new found confidence in Renn, as if he was reborn.”

Sylvia chucked as he said, “Yeah, Renn is amazing.”

That night peace and security prevailed Gaia. Not one soul cred out of sorrow or distress. Everyone held a smile as they slept and dreamed of glad tidings of the days to come. However, fate is cruel as the town began to arm themselves for war chaaing a peaceful town to a fortress. The once felt peace vanished and anxiety spread though the town like locusts. The wheels of war have begun to turn as the fate of the world lay on a thin line of light and dark.



© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
sigh... love scenes not my favorite pieces to write about but meh its needed for the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on November 29, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino