Book 1 - Chapter 3: Water

Book 1 - Chapter 3: Water

A Chapter by Pakino

 

“What a fine mess we caught ourselves in,” one of the bandits exclaimed

“Those mercenaries were stronger then imagined, especially the one with the spear,” said another man.

“We lost a few men of ours in that shuffle, that boy we dragged it better be good loot or else….”

“Call Agroth in here!” Shouted the other man.

Soon a man appeared wearing light clothing and gauntlets appeared. His hair was black and bangs were slowly covering his face.

Agroth came forward and gave a salute to the two men and stood silently waiting for them to speak.

“Agroth, that that loot of a boy of yours and take him to the trading post in Basilt and see if you can fetch a  good price on that boys neck.”

Agroth nodded and silently left the tent and began to head towards his tent. Agroth picked up his cloak and tied around his neck and walked towards the weakened figure of Renn.

Renn lowered his head as he struggled to stay awake. After his capture by the bandits he was tied up and was forced to stand without any water or meal. Agroth grabbed hold of Renn and placed a flask of water on his lips. The cool refreshing taste of water soon reached Renn’s senses as he struggled to raise his head and have a taste.

“Drink! I don’t want to leave with a dead body,” Agroth said as he untied the rope fastening Renn’s hand and legs. Renn dropped to the ground and struggled to stand up, however his legs had become weak and his arms desired a moment’s rest. Agroth placed a apple on the table beside the flask and said to Renn,

 

“I will return shortly after that we are leaving,” with those cold words Agroth left to prepare his final preparations.

Renn slowly stood up and leaned against the wall and began to devour on the small luxury in front of him. Tears swelled over his face as he remembered the last moment his father desperately tried to save him. The sounds of cries and blood were etched in Renn’s memory. Upon every recollection of his last image of his father Renn began to shake and spilled some water on the ground.

Not long afterwards Agroth returned and without warning pulled Renn forward and tied a rope around him. Renn looked back at his unfinished meal and only dried his tears, as he knew there was no way out of his misery.

Renn was placed on a horse along with Agroth, and with full speed Agroth made his way towards Basilt.

            A town of prosperous merchants Basilt has made a name for it self. Once a quiet fishery post, the town grew to become one of the most successful trading post. Not only is it bordered between three of the largest provinces in Gry: Willstaff, Ginshire, and Liongull. But the open waters has allowed for people on the other continents to arrive on shore.

Agroth didn’t waste anytime as he entered Basilt. Rushing through the open bazaar with his horse Agroth soon reached the slave trading post. With all the wars and bandit raids lately the supply of slaves has increased. Many nations would pay for slaves only to increase their ranks. Used as shields for their own men the slaves would die horribly on the battle field and without honor they would not be buried.

Renn had heard stories about slaves and he himself was grateful for not living the life of one. As an orphan the chance to slave was reality.

Agroth soon placed Renn on the ground and grabbed his wrist as he dragged him to the counter.

“Hey! Mind if we put this boy on the market,” shouted Agroth over the counter.

A large man with a large belly turned around. Dressed in noble attire he shouted back in a gruff voice, “Agroth! Another fine specimen today, and an Elven at that!”

“Enough talk! Take him, for him the rate I give is 7%,” said Agroth

“Nonsense! We are talking about an Elven they sell well 12% is my offer.”

“Elven he is but a child of that matter. That is why I offer 7%,” Agroth said with a straight face.

The man grumbled and mumbled something to himself and grabbed Renn and said, “Fine!”

Renn was carried over to the stage with the man. The man began to shout at the passerby’s as he said, “Ladies and Gentlemen! Today here I have one of the finest specimens today.”

At the man’s introduction a few of the passerby’s stopped and began to laugh at the remark.

“Today here we have an Elven boy, of fair height as you can see,” The man said as he began to instruct Renn to turn around, “With strong arms and limps this boy can wield a blade as think as iron. The bid starts at 100 gold.”

Instantly people began to shout out bidding against one another for the top prize. As the bid escalated to $500 gold, some of the bidders soon walked away. One man who remained silent, who had his face concealed by a hood, stepped forward and said, “$700 gold.”

The crowd looked back at the man’s price, however a voice was heard putting the bid to $1000. The man stepped forward once again and said, “$2000 gold.”

At that everyone even Agroth looked in awe at the stunning price. With no other bidders the man was awarded the custody of Renn. The man pulled back his hood revealing the face of an Elven. His long silver hair reached his shoulders presenting a noble air around him. Placing the bag of gold at the counter the man untied Renn and gave him water to drink. Renn upon sight of the man’s friendliness took the water and began to drink. The man smiled at Renn’s and said, “Let us be off, shall we.”

Renn was placed on top of the saddle while the man decided to walk beside. Both soon left Basilt in silence. Agroth looked in awe at the man and wondered curiously who he could be. However, Agroth soon forced his attention towards the money in his pocket. Finding his mission a success Agroth decided to check out the red light district. Taking a right turn into an alley way Agroth, decided to take a quick route however to his surprise someone else was walking towards him. Agroth looked at the man which wore similar attire as the bidder. Deciding it was him Agroth walked freely past the man without worry.  Unaware of the danger, a blade soon pierced Agroth as he fell lifeless on the ground tainting the dirt filled streets of Basilt. The man removed his hood revealing the face of Yaroh. Anger protruded his eyes as he quickly rushed away into the bazaar without a stain of blood on his clothes.



© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
throughout this book you may encounter some grammer issues. Just ignore them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm liking this.
check out my story.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 17, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino