Book 1 - Chapter 8 : Elven Story

Book 1 - Chapter 8 : Elven Story

A Chapter by Pakino

 

            Night had fallen in the town, as the inner halls of mansion began to preparations for the banquet. Khalon walked into the main hall and looked around at detail of the interior walls. The intricate craftsmanship and detail made Khalon wonder how old the mansion is. It has been only a few years since Khalon was appointed chief of the town. The ignorance that Khalon had towards his home town, slowly vanished as he began to take pride in his town and his people. Reminiscing the past would often make Khalon smile as he would be amazed how much he has accomplished.

            Going back to reality, Khalon looked around and noticed Sylvia dressed in an Elven dress. The intricate embroidery and soft silk made Sylvia look beautiful and graceful at the same moment. Khalon smiled as he rushed to greet her.

            “Sylvia what a nice dress,” Khalon said.

            Sylvia greeted Khalon with a smile, “Brother,” Sylvia said as she looked behind him, “Is Sy attending?”

            “No unfortunately he lost a lot of dark mana bringing Renn here. He needs time to rest.”

            “Oh,” Sylvia said disappointedly.

            “Are you not happy to see your brother?” Khalon said jokingly.

            “No it’s just that….” Sylvia said however she soon stopped as she noticed the frail body of Oracle Ille in the hall. Leaning on his cane the Oracle slowly walked towards the head table, his attendant behind him. Khalon turned around and walked towards the Oracle as he greeted him.

Placing his knee on the ground Khalon said, “Peace!”

            “Peace! To you to child,” the Oracle said in a raspy voice, “Stand up so we could talk.”

            Khalon stood up and stared at the Oracle’s green eyes. Deep wisdom ran through his eyes. Khalon could tell that the Oracle had seen many great rulers and many great disasters during his time. The fall of empires, the pointless bloodshed were tucked within his memory.

            The line of Oracle’s run deep in Gry. In ages past the Oracles would prophesize disasters or any possible calamity. With knowledge, and mastery of all the Spirits the Oracles are a few who are able to gain immortality, for their soul, mind, and body lies between death and life as was told in the past scriptures lost through the passage of time.

            Many people who desired immortality searched the wisdom of the Oracles. However the Oracles only smiled as they only replied, “Master the Arts.” Because of their advice a great number of schools emerged teaching people the arts. They ranged from elemental to healing. Towns flourished with prosperity, disease and famine halted the world experienced a sudden peace. Not only was peace established in the lands but technological advances soon accompanied the arts.  

            However all good things come to the end. This was one tragedy the Oracles could not foresee. For with power planted the seeds of destruction. Both Elven and Human began to fight for power. Towns were burnt, children bore arms to revenge their lost kin. Warfare took a drastic change. With the introduction of magic in the battle fields new battle strategy was developed. Not only was strategy improved during this time, but also the magic arts. After a bloody struggle for power the land of Gry took its shape today with a defeat of the Elven race a truce was made were Elven were given small reserves to live on. Years passed after the tragedy of the Spirit Wars, yet still some Elven still bare hatred to the Humans while some Elven have forgiven and forgotten the past.

Through the Oracle’s eyes Khalon knew well the burden and grief the Oracle went through.

            “Has the Chosen One arrived safely,” inquired the Oracle.

“Yes,” Khalon replied as he stood up, “He is with Yaroh and will soon arrive.”

“Good! We must get everyone assembled.”

“I will make haste,” Khalon said as he rushed off to the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Renn and Yaroh trailed not far away, and began to make their way into the mansion. The tears on Yaroh’s eyelids still were wet as the excitement of being reunited still lingered within him. The anger that Renn presented earlier was replaced by a sense of joy and happiness as both father and son began to quickly bond together. Renn walked as if he was nine years old, as he ran through the bazaar with Yaroh. Yaroh would laugh at Renn’s behavior and would join him.  

As they entered the mansion Yaroh suddenly stopped as he began to grab something from his pocket. Renn stopped as he looked back at his father.

“I forgot to give this to you,” Yaroh said, “I have held on to this when you left.”

From within his pocket Yaroh revealed a case made of mahogany. Yaroh carefully removed the latch revealing his original flute. Renn jumped for joy as he grabbed hold of his flute. The smooth wooden surface and beautiful craftsmanship still remained intact. It was if Renn played it just the day before.

“I know you want to try out your flute, but once we meet everyone you can play us a song you learned while away.”

“Yes father,” Renn said, “Will mother be there?”

“I have sent her word of your arrival by messenger today. She should arrive here in two or three days.”

“I see…” Renn said as he lowered his head.

Both Renn and Yaroh continued to walk into the estate and soon reached the main hall. A group of people looked up and began noticed Renn’s arrival.

Renn stopped suddenly as he noticed the piercing glare of the group at him. The anger that once filled Renn filled within him.

“Toy with my life. Am I just a tool for war,”  Renn thought, “Pesky Nobles why don’t they leave me alone.”

“Renn, come here and sit,”  Yaroh said breaking the silence in the room.

Renn snapped out of his rage and sat down on the table. The group of people in the hall soon sat down along the wide table. Renn looked around and noticed Sylvia who waved back at Renn at they made contact, and Khalon which Yaroh introduced to Renn earlier. The Oracle sat at the head of the table and signaled the servants to bring forth the food.

Everyone on the table began to animate as platters of food were placed on the table. Renn looked at various types of food on the table and was in awe. He had not seen many assorted dishes before. Some were familiar to him, but a few were unknown. Renn’s curiosity got the best of him as he began to indulge in the feast.

The atmosphere in the room increased as everyone began to laugh and talk amicably at the table. Yaroh soon was enticed in a conversation with a man beside him, leaving Renn with no one to converse with.

“Renn what do you think of the food so far?”

Renn looked behind and noticed that Sylvia was behind him. Exchanging smiles Renn replied, “Amazing. I have never eaten food like this before.”

“Glad you enjoyed it. This town, Gaia, is well known for preparing extraordinary dishes.”

“I don’t see Sir Sy here,” Renn said

A look of doubt spread across Sylvia’s face as she responded, “He….had to leave. I am sure he will return soon.”

They both fell in silence as Renn realized that the question slightly bothered Sylvia. Not inquiring about anything else Renn looked behind and noticed the Oracle stand up. Everyone fell silent as the Oracle demanded everyone’s attention.

“I would like to welcome everyone, for today is a day of celebration,” the Oracle paused as he began to cough, “Today we have in our presence is the Chosen One as foreseen by the Oracle Chamber which I preside. I would like you all to honor him as you honor me. Chosen One please stand…”

All eyes began to look around the table as Renn stood still. In anger and defiance, Renn remained still and didn’t move.

“Renn,” whispered Sylvia, “Stand up for the Oracle.”

Renn ignored Sylvia’s comment as the nobles began to look agitated.  Yaroh looked at Renn’s defiance, in his heart Yaroh understood what was going through Renn’s head and decided that he would let him be. For he didn’t want to hurt Renn for Yaroh knew pain and frustration still hadn’t healed and he didn’t want to open the wound.

The Oracle let out a cough as he said, “Young boy, stand up!”

Surprised that he was caught Renn stood up slowly and stared at the ground below, without giving his attention to the Oracle.

“You seem to have questions for me, correct? You are quite angry at me? I shall tell you everything.”

Renn looked at the Oracle in shock, “Did he just read my mind?”

“Renn, a great calamity is before us. In Laisey the people have resurrected the Spirit Tetra by using one of their own kin as host for the Spirit to reside in. The Spirit has now awakened within their host, but the Spirit Tetra is weak. It will take time before the host looses all sanity and the body is devoured by the Spirit. As for when this will occur I have no clue. Renn, you are our only hope. Without your strength we will fail….”

“What strength? I am only an Elven with no passion for battle,” shouted Renn

“Renn are you aware of Celestial Nexus?” Khalon said as he interrupted the Oracle.

“What about it?”

“Celestial Nexus is a rare moment when a pure blood Elven is sent from above. Pure bloods are generally stronger Elven with far more magic potential. Many of us here are cold blood, meaning we were not sent from above. I myself am a half-breed. Do you know the details of your birth?”

Renn was unable to reply to Khalon for the words sunk deep into Renn’s mind.

            “On Celestial Nexus a green pillar of light emerged from the heavens and stuck the ground not far from here near the Forest of Willow. We all went to the source and found you as an infant asleep softly floating within the green light. But that was not all that was found he found this.”

            Khalon placed his hand in his pocket and retrieved a silver amulet. The amulet was beautifully engraved with strange writing.

            “This Renn is the proof that you are the Chosen One. The words on this amulet are unknown and even the Oracles themselves are not able to decipher the code,” Khalon placed the amulet on Renn’s arm as he continued, “Trust us, we do not mean any harm.”

            Renn wiped away the small drops of tears off his face as he nodded to Khalon.

            “Renn,” the Oracle said, “This is your story, your life, your world. You are not alone Renn, we are here to help. Your inherent powers are dormant at the moment but with time they will awaken and with that power we will be victorious.”

            Everyone on the table cheered shouting praises towards Renn. Renn blushed at the crowd and soon sat down. The Oracle smiled at Renn’s behavior as he took his seat.

            “Hello Renn, it has been a while.”

Renn looked around the table and noticed an Elven female looking at him.

“Lady Aisa!” Renn said loudly.

“You remembered my name well done. Teresa told me what became of the potion, it was a good thing to give you the potion that day.”

“What are you doing here Lady Aisa?” Asked Renn.

“This here is my home. I serve as chief of my clan of Alchemists, and was invited to the celebration. I must leave, but please do come by you are always welcomed.” Lady Aisa stood up and waved to Renn as she left the table.

Renn soon was swept in the celebrations as many people from the town paid their respect to Renn. It didn’t take long for him to adjust to his new life. Everyone at the celebrations greeted Renn with open arms. The Oracle smiled as he knew the storm within Renn soon calmed. But what troubled the Oracle was the fact that the wheel of fate began to slowly turn as the tides of a great war slowly grew in power.

            “Why is the future clouded by darkness, why is it I cannot vision,” the Oracle thought, “Renn I fear the worst. Grow strong for tomorrow may not be here anymore.”

 

Meanwhile, as the celebrations in Gaia dragged on. In Lasiey, Glen and Tius leaned on each other for support as they entered the town. Their wounds from their encounter from Sy had become infected. Even though the blood emerging from the wound was sealed, at moments fresh blood would trickle down. Glen and Tius both knew that the attacks from Sy had cursed their bodies, causing them to bleed not allowing for their wound to heal until they die in their own blood.

Upon entering the town Glen and Tius were summoned by Terra with the aid of local healers they were able to make it towards the Temple. Not long after Renn’s departure Terra was announced Queen and all powers of authority were left in her hands. The Oracle Sage stood beside Terra providing her with guidance and support.

“Where is the boy?” Asked Terra coldly

“He fled with Sylvia with that Dark Knight,” Glen said in rage.

“Dark Knight? Could it be Sy?” The Oracle wondered.

Tius let out a scream as blood began to flow from his wound. Terra looked at Tius agony and said , “Do you want revenge Tius?”

“…yes.”

“Then give me your soul,” shouted Terra.

           

 



© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
sorry for the late post. I am busy with some assignments so it will take some time.... Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

519 Views
Added on October 5, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino