Book 2 - Chapter 2: From the Dark

Book 2 - Chapter 2: From the Dark

A Chapter by Pakino

 

            The men from Clesita along with the small regiment from Liongull all lined up in perfect military fashion as they walked in a solid line through the plains to Basilt. On horse the captains of each regiment sat on horse along with a few elite soldiers by their side. One of the Generals happened to be Renn, who some members of the army knew of his status. However, some were skeptical of his rank in power and at such a young age.

            Renn was aware of the tension that existed, however dismissed any sort of insult while making an effort to focus ahead on the battle. Renn would remember that it wasn’t long before he distasted war, and hated the feeling of warm blood on his face. However, peace is tragic and cannot be sustained. On that night under the moon light, with Nell Renn realized he couldn’t run away.

            Where ever he went death was sure to find him. As Renn moved forward on his horse, he let out a smile as he began to understand the importance of his training with Khalon and Sy.  Renn quickly pulled the reins of his horse and raced to the vanguard.

            There stood all of the Generals looking ahead at the horizon as if the enemy were in front of them. Twenty Generals in total, while three remain as top Generals and advisors of the army. The three Generals being Renn, Khalon, and Sy. Thus, hatred and envy grew more amongst the ranks towards Renn.

            “How long are the hills of the western flank, from here?” Asked Renn to a nearby General.

            “Ah, Lord Renn it is a one day march from here?”

            “Night will soon hit and I will speak with Khalon and Sy to ask for a pause in our advance.”

            Garry who was nearby heard Renn who quickly came towards Renn and said, “Chosen One, I ask if you stop your request.”

            Renn looked at Garry and replied, “If our men are exhausted how will we fight, our men have not eaten since morning we need to break advance and pause.”

            “I beg you Chosen One!” Garry said as he began to plead.

            Renn hesitated to move from Garry but however understood his plea, “We will break an hour after sunset.”

            At that Renn, turned his horse around and went towards Khalon and Sy and explained to them of his request.

            “Garry is a true soldier, he fights for his people and his honor is shown for his love to continue on, we will stop an hour later after sunset,” Khalon said as he ran to the Generals to relay the information.

           

           

            “What do you think of the small General,” said a foot soldier as he began to talk to the man beside him.

            A man with a long face looked surprised as if awaken from sleep as he said, “I…I… don’t know.”

            “What do you mean? Of course he is unworthy to hold the rank of General. I have fought many battles yet that small one has never even tasted blood.”

            I man was silent at those words and looked away. The army had already settled camp and everyone began to take rest and comfort for they knew this would be the only chance of peace.

            “I…think General Renn is a great General,” said the man with the long face.

            “Boy! Are you nuts,” the other man said as he turned around and began to talk to the man beside him.

            Little did the two men know that Renn, stood behind their tent and heard everything. Renn only shook his head as he stood up and left.

            Renn made his rounds around the camp and noticed everyone had already taken ease and had removed their weapons from their belt.

            Renn immediately ran towards the group of men who sat without their weapons and shouted, “Be armed! This is not a luxury.”

            The men were older then Renn and stared at him and began to laugh, “And who are you, page boy?”

            “General Renn Commander of the 4th Attack Corps.”

            The men looked surprised at Renn, however they still ignored him and began to throw insults at Renn. Renn turned around furiously as he ran towards his group of men and began to instruct them to have their weapons fastened.

            Renn despised the lack of discipline in the army and immediately made his way towards the other Generals.

            “What is that noise?” Came the voice of the long face soldier who quickly grabbed hold of his spear.

            From the darkness a loud piercing cry was heard, Renn instantly knew of the sound as he shouted.

            “Night Steed! All men prepare for battle, the enemy is amongst us!”

Renn quickly drew out his flute, however no sooner then he did that an arrow flew and hit the man earlier who had begun to spread false rumors of Renn.

            Renn quickly began to play a quick melody on his flute. The melody touched the heart of those nearby as if a soft light were touching their hearts. Instantly the entire camp was filled in light and vanished any trace of darkness in the camp.

            Renn looked up and noticed that they were ambushed by a large group of Dark Knights which with a group of Elven. The bright light that began to emit from the camp pushed back the Dark Knights however the Elven forces let fly their arrows.

            Renn quickly took cover as a torrent of arrows rained upon the camp. Many were instantly killed upon impact of the arrows, for an incantation was placed on the arrows that upon contact the arteries of the body were to explode. Killing the victim from within thus was the power of the Elven secret arts.

            Elven looked around and noticed that Khalon and a group of elementals had begun to throw spells of various kinds at the Elven.

            The light from the camp prevented the Dark Knights from entering camp, as they had released their dark mana and upon touching light their bodies would burn. Through the confusion of the battle Renn gave thanks to Sy who gave this advice for he knew that Renn’s magic and bard magic would suffice to prevent the advance of the Dark Knights.

            As the arrows died down the large group of Elven began to run towards the camp with swords drawn. Sy quickly ran past Renn towards the enemy as he began to intercept them. Renn was shocked for a moment at how the scene changed.  Within moments the grass began to stain with blood as bodies after bodies quickly began to fall. As Renn hid behind, he noticed how a group of vultures began to swirl around the battle field waiting for the moment to eat the flesh of the dead.

            “Renn,” shouted Sy, “The barrier!”       

            Renn looked up and noticed the barrier beginning to shatter. A dark beam hit the barrier causing the barrier to crack. The dark knights that stood on the periphery had begun to launch her dark mana at the light barrier. Renn quickly picked up his flute and began to play the melody once again, however it was too late.

            The immense strength of the dark knights were far to much for Renn to withstand, and within moments the barrier fell allowing the darkness of the night to seep into the camp.

            “No!”

            The dark knights began to charge forward releasing their mana. Fear began to strike Renn as he stood frozen watching the menacing array of dark knights edging closer.

            Khalon rushed towards Renn pulled him away from the onslaught of the dark knights. Renn looked back noticing Sy and remaining forces engaging with the dark knights.

            “Renn, at times it is best to push back,” Khalon said as he pushed his way towards the back of the camp, “It seems we took the enemy lightly.”

            Garry soon saw Renn and Khalon and joined them, “I have just received word from a scout that the forces that were to flank the dark knights have not left the city.”

            “Nobles don’t trust us it seems,” Khalon mumbled to himself.

            A group of dark knights emerged from the woods and began to charge towards Renn. Renn quickly backed away and clung to the earth for his life.

            Khalon quickly raised his hand as he chanted a spell,

           

“Art of Light

Of the heavens

Refresh our souls

As the sky above.”

 

Instantly, a surge of light appeared from the skies striking the group. Khalon instantly grabbed hold of his sword and shouted,

 

“Swords are Iron

Mind is Water

Spirit is Wind

Brandishing Blade”

 

A bright light began to illuminate from Khalon’s sword as he raised it above his head.  The sword remained as it was however, it began swell with light elemental energy.

The remaining dark knights that emerged from Khalon’s onslaught let out a war cry as they ran towards Khalon as if a beast were hunting their prey.

From the darkness of the woods a torrent of arrows appeared and stuck the dark knights immediately causing their bodies to be consumed in flames.

Khalon raised his sword in caution from where the arrows came from. From a distance Khalon noticed a large array of torches spread throughout the forest.  Judging from the sounds and torches Khalon estimated a force of 10 000 has just arrived. But was it friend or foe?

“Reinforcements?”

 

As the force came closer to Khalon soon noticed that the group was a large force of Elven. However, Khalon noticed that they were not full of malice and hate as the Elven from Willstaff.

Their black clothing was worn loosely, but fitted the attire of a traditional Elven warrior. The main force comprised of archers, while a few were experts in melee carrying a sword or spear.  The man who led the group walked ahead of the group and quickly raised his fit upwards commanding the army to stop.

Removing the mask on his mouth he stared at the battle and at Khalon, Renn, and Garry and said, “Heh… looks like we made it in time.”

 



© 2009 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
ignore grammar issues, i really didn't do a crazy edit on this so you may find some things redundant.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
Added on February 5, 2009


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino