Book 2 - Chapter 6: The spell of death...

Book 2 - Chapter 6: The spell of death...

A Chapter by Pakino

 

The sound of steel echoed in the cave as Sy and Glen began to exchange swords with one another.  Both men had strong swordsmanship and were not showing any signs of letting go.  There was no sigh of any of them letting go at any moment. Throughout the attack Sy was calm and composed while Glen had a grin and was maliciously attempting to strike at Sy.

At one moment as Sy leaped forward to strike Glen, he immediately disappeared from sight. Sy jumped back from Glen’s disappearance and began to look around with caution. From behind Glen had his sword pointed at his chest ready to strike, however luckily Valde let off his arrow interrupting Glen’s attack pushing him back.

Sy watched as Glen stepped back from his attack as he began to laugh. Tilting his head back and placing his hand on his face as if he were trying to etch a mark Glen simply laughed hysterically at Sy.

“Shadow Technique!” Valde said at Glen, “An Ancient Elven technique where the person uses the shadows to manipulate his movements and surrounding. Concealing his whereabouts and killing with stealth.”

Glen stopped laughing as he stared at Valde madness portrayed on his face, “So you think you know my art do you?”

Valde was silent as he grabbed out another arrow and placed it on the ready,”Sy, can you absorb shadows?”

“Ay,” Sy responded in a monotone voice. Sy grabbed out his sword and began to release dark mana onto his sword. Valde watched Sy still grinning at the thought that they would be able to counter his technique.

Instantly, Sy grabbed his sword and plunged it into the ground.  The shadows in the room began to be drawn to the sword.  As the shadows reached the sword they began to revolve around the sword. Glen watched in horror as he realized that even his shadow was being drawn towards the sword.

Glen grabbed hold of his sword and quickly ran towards Sy. Using his shadow technique Glen attempted to come behind Sy, however he found himself  being drawn to the sword. The magnitude and power of the pull cut Glen slightly on the shoulder, however as he regained his balance he knew it was pointless to use the technique. Finding his opportunity Valde let of an arrow at Glen finding its mark on his shoulder. 

Glen began to stumble back from the impact. The shock of the arrow threw Glen off as Valde let loose another arrow this time piercing his chest. Glen fell down from the impact and lay there trying to breath. Sy released his sword from the ground. The wisps of shadows still lingered on Sy’s blade as if it were hungry for blood on the sword.  Sy closed his eyes briefly as they began to glow red in the darkness. Glen lay on the ground staring at his fate to come as he struggled to get up. However, the arrows had penetrated deep within Glen rattling his bones that he couldn’t stand up. With a twitch in his arm Sy plunged the sword into Glen’s heart. The wisps that hovered on the sword disappeared upon contact however, a red mist began to form around Sy as the blood from Glen began to crawl up the sword into Sy’s hand. Sy let out a war cry as his sword began to drain more blood and energy from Glen.

Valde stood nearby slightly shocked yet curious. He had heard stories of how Dark Knights are able to drain mana from people but not once did he notice the spectacle in front of his eyes. The calm and friendly behavior of Sy transformed into a beast, a beast clawing through its prey eating any morsel of meat it can find.

As the last blood was drained Sy pulled out his blade from Glen’s chest and as he did his body turned to dust. The body had no life within the soul, and with no soul energy stops and thus mana ceases. Sy stood up and let out a deep breath. Realizing where he was he quickly glanced at Valde with his blood lust eyes. However he turned his eyes away for him to recover his senses as he faced Valde with a calm mind.

“Does it hurt?” Valde asked.

“….it does,”  Sy said as he began to cough.

“Then why do it?”

“To survive, that is the Dark Knight’s curse.”

“You mean for immortality you need that,” Valde corrected Sy.

Sy looked at Valde angrily however stopped suddenly from raising his voice said, “For me this is my curse. I gain immortality, but it is not what I desire. I only drain mana to stop the darkness within my heart to grow before it plagues my heart. To stop it before it eats away on my bones. I do not want to turn my blade on my friends and on those that I love.”

Valde smiled at Sy’s comment as he responded, “You are a true friend and a noble man Sy. On the battle field my bow will be your shield I promise you that.”

Sy laughed at Valde’s comment as he said, “Come carry me outside my body is still recovering.”

 

Meanwhile

 

Renn carried Dijinn on his shoulders as he and the others ran quickly as they could outside. They were far away from the main room that they couldn’t tell what was happening but sounds of explosions still echoed throughout the caves.  As they came outside, Renn was surprised to find that a group of Dark Knights were engaging the Ojio. Renn placed Dijinn safely out of sight and grabbed hold of his flute transforming it into the Split Blade.

“Nell and Sylvia please stay here and tend to Dijin’s wound I will take care of the Dark Knights outside.”

“No wait…” Shouted Nell.

However it was to late Renn ran towards the enemy with his weapon poised for the thrust. Renn caught a few off guard as he thrust his weapon cleanly into the chest of the Dark Knights however, a few of them caught Renn and ran towards him in an attempt to catch him.  With all his might Renn parried and attacked each blow of the Dark Knights however the sheer volume of the Dark Knights quickly overwhelmed Renn realizing that the prize lay in front of them. Renn quickly jumped back from the group however as he did so a Dark Knights appeared from behind and using the hilt of his sword hit his head knocking him unconscious.

Nell and Sylvia lay hidden as they watched the entire spectacle. Nell tried to suddenly stand up and run to his aid however, Sylvia grabbed her and pulled her back. The group of Dark Knights were far more then the Sylvia and Nell could handle.

            One of the Dark Knights let out a war cry as they began to flee from the battle grounds carrying Renn’s body with them.  The Ojio stood wondering what just happened, thinking that they had won the battle they let out a roar raising their weapons in the air. However silently in the corner tears fell from Nell’s face as he watched Renn be taken away by the Dark Knights.  



© 2009 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
I apologize for not posting regularly. This story makes me think alot of how the plot should be and how to describe it. I try my best to do just that but I am not the best writer and hopefully at one point if this gets published I can fix it up and make it better and fix any errors that come up. Sorry for any delays but please be patient I WILL finish this. I dont leave things unfinished I finish what I start.

Thanks :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
Added on July 9, 2009
Last Updated on July 9, 2009


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino