Book 1 - Chapter 9 : Nell

Book 1 - Chapter 9 : Nell

A Chapter by Pakino

 

Renn quickly adjusted to his new life in Gaia. Renn was soon taken under the care of Khalon under the advice of Yaroh and Teresa. Renn didn’t object on their decision. Ever since the banquet Renn had grown an interest in Khalon and immediately accepted his position to stay at Khalon’s mansion and be instructed by him. At times Yaroh would come visit during his travels with the caravan. Renn would often look forward to the days that Yaroh would arrive and especially Teresa.

            Not long afterwards Yaroh discussed with Khalon the prospect of learning magic from him, aside from general knowledge. Khalon agreed to Yaroh’s terms but added a clause to the agreement, “I will teach him what I know but I will not teach him how to kill.”

            Yaroh understood Khalon well, they both knew that even though Renn was 14 years of age inside his heart was still that of a child, becoming a tool to kill would potentially harm him mentally. Khalon and Yaroh decided they would wait until Renn had matured more mentally before he would be able to carry a sword.

            On his first instruction Renn was instructed to show Khalon what he already learned in his stay at Lasiey. Renn at first refused to hold a sword, and argued the fact that he didn’t want to kill. Khalon smiled at Renn’s determination and said, “I do not want you to bear arms but I must know what they have taught you so I can see what we can improve on.”

Renn agreed and began to demonstrate his basic sword techniques, which greatly impressed Khalon. Even though Renn hated using the sword his techniques was excellent and his thrust powerful.

            Renn soon asked if he could demonstrate his technique as a Bard. Khalon agreed and Renn soon demonstrated his basic fire attack. Renn picked up his flute from Clestia and decided to envoke the spell. To Renn’s surprise, using his flute since childhood the magnitude of the attack was stronger then before. Renn simply smiled with pride as the fire spell turned to ashes.

            “We can work with this,” Khalon said as he put his sword away, “Lets strengthen your magic ability so you can use more various forms of magic.”

            “Yes Master Khalon,” Renn replied with satisfaction.

            “Try using the Sprit Blitz to cast a spell that will strengthen your weapon?”

            “How do I do that when I am holding my weapon?”

            “In typical magic we use our body as a transfer of energy. Use the flute with an empty mind. Look at this sword,” Khalon picked up a short sword and held it in his hand. Khalon stretched his hand quickly and began to twirl the sword in his hand.

“Swords are Iron

Mind is Water

 Spirit of Wind

Brandishing Blade.”

 

            Instantly the short sword in Khalon’s hand glowed and began to change form revealing a broad sword.

            “Brandishing Blade, upgrades the previous sword by making the steal harder but also allows you to use techniques from the Spirit Teku faster and easier. I used the sword to act as the transfer, the sword is inanimate and the spell that was casted stays within. It is said that every craft produced has a will of its own. That is why the weapon changed shape, resembling its own will. It did the work I didn’t.”

            Renn was surprised at the transformation. Grabbing hold of the flute, he began to twirl it around. Not once did Renn conjure any image in his head of the spell. His mind was open and free as if floating in still time forever. As Renn continued to twirl with is flute he began to chant:

“Swords are Iron

Mind is Water

Spirit is Wind

Brandishing Blade”

 

            Instantly, a glow of light emerged from the flute. Renn held the flute firmly in his hand. The glow on the flute vanished revealing a unique polearm weapon in Renn’s hand. The pole was shaped like a halberd, however the blade was placed on both ends of the pole. The length of the weapon suited length’s height and had perfect balance and stability.

            “Interesting weapon your flute will has shown,” Khalon said as he looked at the weapon at close.

            “What is this weapon called?”

            “There are many names for this weapon, but we can call it split blade.”

            “How do I turn it back to normal?” Asked Renn.

            “Just ask of it and it will happen.”

            Renn remembered Sy and his magic and how his sword was engulfed by a dark shadow. Renn raised the weapon in front of him and shouted, “Release!”

            Instantly the glow returned and the split blade returned to being a flute.

            “That is all for today,” Khalon said, “Now Lady Aisa wanted me to remind you of your visit to her place today.”

            Renn placed the flute back into his pocket and said, “I remember I will head over right now.”

            Khalon waved to Renn as he rushed of to Lady Aisa’s estate. Renn was excited at learning his new spell. The thought of altering an object’s shape appealed to him. However, Renn was surprised that the flute took the form of a split blade. Renn hated fighting but upon seeing the magnificent split blade of his flute he was tempted in using it for practice. His thoughts soon ran to Sy and his sword.

            “Sy’s sword was just covered in darkness there was no glow from the sword. I wonder why?” Renn wondered.

            Entranced in deep thought Renn wasn’t paying attention where he was going. As he turned a corner Renn bumped into someone. They both fell back suddenly, as a dozen vegetables fell on the ground.

            Regaining his fall Renn looked over and saw a girl wearing an elaborate dress on the ground. She was an Elven and her short blonde hair and blue eyes stood out.

            “Are you alright?” Asked Renn as he stood up and raised his hand forward.

The girl quickly slapped away Renn’s hand and stood up and began to shout, “Look what you did! Mother is going to be upset with me now,” she began to

gather the vegetables that have scattered everywhere in a frenzy. Renn was surprised to her reaction and joined in assisting her.

            The girl stopped and looked at Renn angrily, ”Leave me alone!”

            Renn quickly stepped back and stared at the girl oddly. At a glance she seemed innocent and polite but in reality she was stubborn. At that point Renn gave up and decided to leave the girl by herself.

Not long afterwards Renn arrived at Lady Aisa’s home. Lady Aisa greeted Renn with respect as Renn returned the greeting. Renn soon began to recap his events in Lasiey while Lady Aisa listened with curiosity. Not long afterwards the discussion sifted towards the events of today’s practice session.

 “The Spirit Blitz is a very important spirit. Many soldiers run into battle without knowing the potential of the Spirit. It is good that you know so if in danger you can call forth the power.”

“Its weird how my flute changed into a weapon so beautiful yet designed to kill.”

“Not many things in this world can be explained. It is the will of the flute that made it change. Perhaps the shape serves a purpose that you yourself may not know about.”

 “I am not sure….” Said Renn disappointedly.

“Do not worry, things like this shouldn’t be rushed.”

At that moment the door opened and a voice was heard, “Mother I have returned. Forgive me for being late.”

The girl from the market place stepped inside the room. Renn and the girl quickly raised fingers at each other.

“You!” Shouted the girl.

“What are you doing here?” Inquired Renn in surprise

“I live here!”

“What!”

Lady Aisa stepped between the two and said, “Renn this is Nell if you remember when you were young. She was once very shy but now a mischievous girl. Nell this is Lord Renn.”

“Him a Lord?” Nell said scarcastigly, “He is so small and little.”

“Nell mind your manners, he is our guest for tonight.”

Lady Aisa stepped towards the door and said, “I will be back soon with some refreshments.”

Both of them lay silent staring at each other in contempt. Renn broke the silence saying. “Your pretty small yourself.”

“Listen I don’t care, I am not calling you Lord,” said Nell defiantly.

“I don’t care,” said Renn frustrated, “Why are you so angry at me?”

“Cause you hit me!”

“I did not! I bumped into you. I offered you some help but you refused.”

“Meannie!” Nell said as she stuck out her tongue and rushed of into the house.

Renn stared at the wall wondering what mess he got himself into. Frustrated and confused at what just happened. Renn picked up his flute and began to play as he waited. Renn’s frustration and confusion towards Nell began to pour down on his flute as he began to play an inticrate and calm melody.  The sound echoed through the hollow and empty rooms and soon reached the ear of Nell.

Nell wondered who was making the music and began to search the house for the source. Nell soon stumbled back into the guest room and found her mother standing beside the door frame listening to Renn’s music. Nell was surprised how good Renn was and soon felt guilty for treating Renn wrongly.

“How can he play so well?” Nell wondered as she stood silent

Renn’s eyes lay shut as he continued to play unaware that Lady Aisa and Nell were observing him. As he stopped he noticed the familiar faces and smiled.

“Amazing,” Said Lady Aisa, “Your music brought me here but the drinks are back in the kitchen I will be back.”

Lady Aisa returned back to the kitchen leaving Nell and Renn alone again. Nell stepped forward and said, “Hey!”

“Yes,” said Renn calmly.

“Nice song,” Nell said as silence fell upon them once again, “Sorry for being rude.”

“It doesn’t bother me,” Renn simply said.

“How did you learn to be so good?” Nell asked in an attempt to make up for her rudeness.

“I started playing the flute when I was six years old and played everyday. This flute here is that very flute I used as a child,” Renn said as he lifted up the flute.

Lady Aisa entered the room with a bottle of drinks and refreshments as she looked at Renn and Nell saying, “Seems like you two are at peace once again.”

Renn smiled as he said sarcastically, “You mean her? Never”

Lady Aisa laughed at Renn’s comment which was returned by Nell who returned to her stubborn self shouting, “What are you talking about Little Lord, you cannot even watch were your going bumping into strangers.”

            Dark soon fell on the town as Renn and Nell returned comments. Lady Aisa who stood in the center of the debate watched on as the energy of Nell and Renn put a smile over her face.

 



© 2008 Pakino


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

370 Views
Added on October 13, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino