Book 1 - Chapter 5: Terra

Book 1 - Chapter 5: Terra

A Chapter by Pakino

 

            Days passed by as Renn began to be familiar with his new surroundings. The town of Lasiey was a quiet town, with a population of 10 000. No human was found walking the streets only Elven, wearing traditional clothing, were found walking through the streets. Unlike the crowded streets of merchants, the parcel of goods carried back and forth, the laughter of child and parent, and the sound of the anvil was faint and not heard as much in the bazaar.

            Renn found this change quite boring, but on the other hand he noticed that there was a sense of calm in the town. In Clestia emotions raised by the goods in the stalls, in Lasiey peace was the center of commercial trade.

            Wearing traditional attire, Renn wandered the streets wearing a large blue cloak over him self and cotton pants. Wearing soft leather shoes Renn felt as if he could run a mile without stopping. Upon wearing his clothes Tius placed a red scarf around Renn’s waist. When Renn questioned about the color of the scarf Tius replied, “On this scarf is the emblem of our clan. The red represents our pride and might while the star represents our wisdom.”

            Renn soon came to know that he represented one of the six clans in Lasiey. Each clan offered special traits and skills to the town. The clan Renn represented was a clan devoted to protecting the town from invaders. They formed the majority of the military garrison and strength. Not only were the soldiers skilled in weapons, but also in magic.

            By day Renn learned and studied magic and ancient Elven tradition at the academy and by night would perform his civic duties by practicing the martial arts. Renn soon found this schedule quite vigorous and gave little time to himself. Most of all Renn disliked carrying a sword. He hated how a blade so nicely crafted could be used to break lives. Renn placed little interest in his military training, however enjoyed classes of history and learning at the academy.

At times Renn would desire to hold his flute in his hand and play a melody but his training forbid him to play any musical instruments of any sort. Sometimes Renn would wander to another part of town and visit a nearby clan. Renn loved the skill each clan offered to the town. The sharing of power between everyone seemed more organized to Renn compared to the political system in Clestia. As Renn wandered the other parts of the town he meet a Ferris, a master flute player of another clan. Renn and Ferris soon began to meet with each other frequently. They soon developed a relationship based on musical talents. For hours both would discuss the skill of flute playing and talk about the events of the day.

Ferris, who was a kind man, knew which house Renn belonged to. Taking and interest towards Renn he consulted Tius one day and asked permission to teach Renn the Art of the Flute. Tius at first was reluctant but once hearing the young Renn perform at his quarters agreed to Renn’s music lessons.

“You shall make a fine bard. With your talent you may help us in battle,” Tius said.

Ferris didn’t approve the idea of using music for war. However, if it allowed Renn to be beside him and play music and not associate himself to martial arts it was worth the effort. On one particular day Ferris said to Renn.

“Renn today I want to talk to you about the Way of the Bard,” Ferris said.

“A Bard?” Inquired Renn.

“Yes. Not the bard you find at local pubs but a bard for battle.”

“Master Ferris, please I rather play music of the soul then for battle.”

“I understand but this is a direct order from Master Tius,” Ferris said, “I have no control over these matters.”

“But…”

“Renn you are turning 14 by the end of this month. As tradition of your clan you will be working fulltime in the military. If I do not teach you this last skill your Master would hate me and my clan would suffer in honor. Please understand.”

Renn showed a sign of anger but agreed to Ferris request as he continued, “Now you are aware of the four realms you learned in your magic classes:  Realm of Gry, Realm of Death, Realm, of Spirits, and Realm of Eternal,” Renn nodded as Ferris continued, “ We ourselves inhabit the Realm of Gry. This is what we call home. Everyday everyone Elven or Human borrow power from the Spirits from their realm. We use their strength to help us create the magic arts which you are aware of. Because of this relationship we owe our life to them. I am sure you know by now as you attend the Temple Prayers with Tius….”

Renn listened to the words of Ferris as he proudly began to explain the religion of Zeal, a religion where the Elven worship the Spirits in the Realm of Sprits. According to the belief of Zeal there are eight Spirits. Each Spirit possesses special magic with only they themselves can harness. Four Spirits are that of the elements, while the other four are non-elemental. Renn was already aware of the Spirits, since in Clestia he knew of people who studied the religion of Fayth.

Fayth preached similar values in Zeal, however they worshiped The Eternal. A being of absolute power and wisdom, from the Eternal the six Sprits were created and so it was said that the Eternal slept, while the six Spirits governed in His steed.

Renn himself found both religions to be intriguing however with the current state of civil wars and carnage, Renn found religion to be unattractive. He simply nodded as Ferris kept preaching.

“As I was saying,” Ferris said as he finished his lecture, “As a Bard you must seek the Sprits out when you play a melody. Look at this for example.” Ferris got out a knife and made a slight wound on his arm. Renn looked awkwardly at Ferris, but remained still as he waited for Ferris.

Ferris soon closed his eyes and a small blue glow began to emit from the flute. Without opening his eyes Ferris began to play a soft melody. Renn was in awe as the melody was something he himself never heard of. Struck by the melody Renn didn’t notice that the wound on Ferris arm immediately healed and no trace of blood was found. As Ferris stopped he raised his arm towards Renn. Renn was amazed as to the power of being a Bard.

“As you noticed, I borrowed the power of the Spirit Matra to cast a healing spell on me. I used the same principle in spell casting however I directed my energy on my flute. The music and notes simply came to me from the Gods as a form of inspiration. Try lighting the candle over there using the Spirit Gil.”

Renn nodded and excitedly picked up his flute. Closing his eyes Renn began to conjure the image of fire and heat in his head. A blurry image formed in head, which soon began to shift into a ball of flame. As the image was conjured Renn began to direct his energy towards his flute. While his eyes closed Renn placed his mouth on the tip of the flute and began to play.

The notes began to surface into Renn’s mind as he began to play a hard and rough melody.  Renn couldn’t believe what he was playing. It was as if he was possessed. As Renn opened his eyes a ball of flame emitted from his flute and hit the candle stick. His aim was slightly off as it hit the wall creating a pile of ash on the ground.

Ferris began to laugh and said, “Good! You have the idea. Let us call it a day, and continue this for next day.”

Renn was simply shocked at what just happened but agreed with Ferris that today was enough. Placing the flute in his sash Renn walked out. Rushing home, Renn met Tius along the way.

“Master Tius, where are you going?” Asked Renn.

“I have duties to attend to. Make your way home and I will return. Sylvia is out at the moment. Take a shower and we will talk later.” Tius let out a smile at Renn which Renn ignored as he ran home to beat the setting sun.

Tius simply turned around and walked away through the street. As night fell in the town many shops closed up. The streets began to get less crowded. Tius simply walked in silence ignoring the merchants and passerbies. Soon Tius reached a Temple. Opening the door Tius walked in and proceeded to the main hall. Inside Tius noticed a small group of people standing. Upon his arrival they all looked at him one person from the group shouted, “Tius! You are late.”

“Stating the obvious are we Glen,” Tius replied.

“Oracle Sage, let us begin,” said a female who stood beside Glen.

An old man stepped forward and said, “It is time to start the ritual. Terra step forward.”

The female who spoke earlier stepped forward and stepped into a magic circle. Her face wore no expression as she stood still in the center.

“Terra are you sure you want to do this?” Tius asked.

“If the Oracle Sage and Spirit beckon our aid I will do it.”

Tius sadly shook his head as he looked at Oracle Sage. The Oracle nodded and continued to speak, “Terra you will soon be one with the Spirit. As ordained in prophecy the world has fallen to corruption. Human slaughter Elven for wealth and power, while the Elven wait patiently. The Spirit Tetra has spoken and beckons us to summon her will to pass the torch to a chosen one. Terra you are that torch,” the Oracle let out a slight cough as he continued, “Let us begin.”

Instantly the old man raised his staff as the magic circle began to shine. Terra looked around in surprise as she began to rise up. Soon Terra closed her eyes allowing her body to dip backward while floating, as if hung on a wire. Instantly, from beneath the circle a silhouette of a female began to appear. The silhouette began to float along with Terra. Slowly and gently, the silhouette softly landed on top of Terra and disappeared within her. A bright light began to form around the magic circle, creating a screen between the crowd and Terra.

As the light vanished Terra’s body had changed. Her hair turned the color of green. Her skin changed from soft brown to a snow white. Her breasts slightly enlarged began to be exposed through her cotton dress. The only thing that remained the same was Terra’s brown eyes.

Everyone was silent as they saw Terra’s new form. Terra soon smiled as she said, “I feel the presence of the Spirit within me. Its me Terra.”

Tius let out a sight of relief as fear overcame him as thoughts of losing Terra hurt him.

The Oracle smiled as he said, “Rejoice! Terra our Queen.” The Oracle gave a low bow. Everyone began to cheer for their new Queen. As everyone lifted up their swords in unison Terra interrupted saying, “I sense a presence in the town. An unwelcome presence…”

“What are you talking about Terra?” Asked Glen.

“There is an Elven amongst us that is here to stop our fight,” continued Terra.

The Oracle looked at Terra as he read her face said, “The Chosen one from the Guardians…”

Terra placed her hand on her head as a sharp pain began to occur, “It is the boy! I feel it. Renn! Grab him and kill him.”

Tius looked shocked at Terra and placed his hand on her shoulder as he said, “If our Queen wishes it so be it.”

Glen looked surprised as he knew that Tius began to conjure father like feelings towards Renn. Seeing his friend change of heart Glen simply grinned as he said, “I will accompany you let us go.”

Glen and Tius began to leave when all of a sudden the Oracle shouted back saying, “Stop! There seems to be a powerful magic binding this building.”

“There seems to be more traitors amongst us,” Terra said as he raised her hand chanting,

“Wall of Protection

Flee from your domain.

Slumber in Rest.

Shatter Magic”

The barrier surrounding the building began to appear to the naked eye as it began to disappear like the wind. Glen smiled as he opened the door to the Temple.

“Be careful Glen, the enemy may be unto us. Find the boy and take his head,” Oracle Sage said in a loud tone.

Glen smiled as he left while Tius simply walked out without looking back.



© 2008 Pakino


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
"No human was found walking the streets only Elven, wearing traditional clothing, were found walking through the streets. Unlike the crowded streets of merchants, the parcel of goods carried back and forth, the laughter of child and parent, and the sound of the anvil was faint and not heard as much in the bazaar."

This is clearly very hard to read.



Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
1 Review
Added on August 27, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino