Chapter 31

Chapter 31

A Chapter by Michael Yang

Vain is running along side a horse drawn cart carrying valuable items. The four adventurers that had been traveling with Vain were impressed by how fast he can run. They were riding in the cart to make sure no goods fall out, but it's mostly because they can't run as fast as him. But that isn't Vain's top speed, he's just keeping pace with the horse's speed at twenty-five miles an hour. The horse was starting to get tired, so they start slowing the pace to ten miles an hour.  They were one day away from reaching the town, the merchant was bringing goods to the town, as prizes for the tournament, and that's why he was in a rush. Their king had suddenly picked his items to use as prizes, but the ones he paid and asked for were all at the port. With the tournament three weeks away, he didn't know if he would make it, but after he met Vain he was filled with hope.

On the first day, Vain had demonstrated his strength, speed, and energy. When they were ambushed by monsters he instantly cleared them out, so the merchant got everyone to ride in the cart but Vain declined and said he'll run. The merchant was worried and asked him how fast he should go. Vain just told him to go as fast as he wishes and so the merchant did. He was surprised to see Vain running right next to him, so he picked up the pace but Vain stayed right next to him and in sight. More monsters then ran towards them and Vain took care of them without slowing down. Vain's engine blade would've cleared them faster, but he forgot that the battle with the death knight damaged the edge and the mechanical parts. He could fix the edge when they're camping, but the mechanical parts will take time as he has to be precise. So he had to fix that when they arrive at the port. It took five days to reach the port, but after Vain completed the repairs it took only three days for them to reach the point they are at now.

Soon night started falling and they needed to set up camp and let the horse rest. So they stop at the edge of a stream and let the horse drink some water, while they prepared food. Vain stood on guard and once food was ready they called him over. He ate quickly and went back to his post. Tedgy, a young boy adventurer barely reaching twenty, called out to Vain and said, "Taking all of the night shift again?" Vain turn his head to look at him and reply, "Yep, so you guys get a good night sleep." Everyone couldn't say anything to rebuttal him as Vain is still doing alright even though he hasn't slept for eight days. Tedgy and his friends talk to each other and wonder just how strong Vain is and if he signed up for the tourney. Tedgy then call out to Vain again and asked, "Hey Vain, have you signed up for the tourney?" Vain reply, "I haven't and I won't." Tedgy then ask him something else, "Then do you want to join our group for the tourney?" Vain then said, "I just said I won't, didn't I? Or did you not hear me?" Tedgy sank into a crouch and talked to his teammates, "Well you heard him. Vain is pretty hard to talk to." Everybody agreed with him and they all soon fell asleep.

The next day, when they woke up, they saw Vain completely drench in blood, and bodies laying all around them in a circle. The merchant woke up screaming and so all four of them went to check what was wrong. They all look where he was looking and saw that his horse was dead. Vain walked over to them, still covered in blood, and said, "Sorry about the horse, but at least be grateful you're still alive and that the items are fine." The merchant then said, "How are we going to get the merchandise home?" Vain then said, "Come, Heo," a red magic circle appear and out came the red and black mech horse Heo. Everyone was surprised and Vain said, "You can use this guy. He's one hundred times faster than a normal horse, but I'm sure you guys wouldn't be able to handle that kind of speed. So we'll be going at fifty miles an hour. The ride is going to get really bumpy so hold on tight to something." Vain went to go clean himself off while everyone prepared for the ride of their lives. Tedgy and a girl held a box together, while the others grabbed an item each.

Vain attached Heo to the cart and Heo reinforced it with some of his plates and magic. So the wooden cart wouldn't break as they're traveling. Once everything was set Vain said, "You guys ready?" They all reply, "As ready as we'll ever be." Vain nodded his head and Heo took off in the direction he was told to go. Leaving Vain behind in a cloud of dust, but he instantly caught up right beside them and ran at the same speed. The ground was uneven and making the cart wobble and bounce. They then ran over a rock, bouncing everyone up into the air, Tedgy and his other two friends were wearing heavy gear, so they didn't fly as high, and Heo covered the merchant in his plates to keep him safe and grounded. But the girl wasn't so lucky and was thrown ten feet out of the cart, so Vain had to turn around. She was going head first into the ground, but Vain manage to catch her and landed on his back. The cart was already a good twenty miles away and increasingly getting further.

Vain could catch up to them if he ran, but he worried about the girl's safety, so he said, "Come Fen and Mer. Fen equip to me, Mer equip to the girl." Two blue magic circles appeared and a blue mech wolf came out of one and a blue and light blue colored mermaid came out of the other. She floated in the air and equipped to the girl, as Fen equipped to Vain. The girl had a tail, fins, and special filter plates against her neck. Vain looked at her and said, "Sorry but bear with it Melli. Mer is meant for underwater fights. That's why you look like that." Vain carried her in a princess carry and instantly took off at one-hundred and fifty miles an hour. She started to feel a little sick so Mer controlled Melli's hand and provided some healing and a buff on her, making her feel better. Soon they reach the others in under a minute and Vain started to decelerate to match their speed. Within five hours the town was in sight, but there was a group of bandits in front of them and their leader shouted, "Halt!" 

Heo looked at Vain, so the merchant looked at him as well and said, "Are we going to stop?" Vain replied, "Nope, we're charging through. Heo, flame charge! Turn their stupid asses to ashes." Heo let out a neigh and said, "Yes my lord." Vain then slowed down enough to run behind the cart. As a cone of flames wraps around Heo, stretching out behind him, and wrapping around the cart and everything else around him. Protecting them in a barrier of fire as he charged forward. The heat was starting to get intense, so Mer controlled Melli's hand again and placed fire resistant and heat resistance buff on everyone, but Vain. Heo then crashed through the bandits and burned them to ashes, creating a path through the middle. Once they were through, Heo canceled out the magic, and they continue running towards the town. The bandits tried to pursue them, but they were going too fast, and they couldn't keep up. But Vain slide to a halt, turned around, and ran towards them. He then threw Melli into the air and said, "Fen do it." Fen then removed the safety locks, shooting the shoulder blades out of their sheaths, and Vain caught them as a burst of energy escapes from the blades. Vain then spun and instantly dealt with all the bandits leaving no one alive. Before turning around, catching Melli on her way down, and running back to the others.

Once the gate was in front of them, Heo and Vain started to slow down and when they reach the gate they were walking. Since they made it to their destination, Mer and Fen both unequipped, and left through their portal, saying goodbye to Vain. Everybody got off the cart and their butts hurt from the ride, except the merchant's and Melli's. Heo was ordered to stay with the merchant until he gets a new horse. So Heo obeyed the merchant's direction and hauled the cart away to the castle. Vain and Tedgy's group went to go claim their reward and after that Vain decided to bring them home to get healed. They all accepted and followed Vain out of the town and after a little more walking they arrived at the mansion gates. The gates opened and Vain led them through the door, where Zec and Sia greeted them. Sia got to work healing them and Vain went to go look for Void. Vain found Void in his room and he threw the money he got to him. But before he left Void said, "Hey Vain, think you can make some more stuff for the store?" Vain replied, "Sure, I'll do it first thing tomorrow. If I don't forget and speaking of forget, I feel like I forgot to say something. Eh, whatever." Soon Vain heard Tedgy's scream and he said, "Ah... I forgot to tell them to mind what they say." Void facepalm himself and said, "We better go and deal with it, before it gets out of hand."

Void and Vain both went into the main room and Tedgy was holding onto his right arm. Lumia was guarding Rexalia and Luvia start healing his arm. Void started inspecting everybody and the area with his eyes. Luvia couldn't heal his arm and Tedgy started to blame Lumia. Tedgy's group sided with him and they ask Vain join them in the tourney as compensation. Vain was clearly annoyed and everyone argue and bicker with each other, until Void said, "Quiet, all of you!" Void knew what happen, Tedgy was harassing Rexalia, and Lumia intervened. She did indeed break his arm, but a broken arm could be healed easily. The reason Luvia couldn't was because he cursed it. Why? Void did not know and so he looked at Vain and said, "Vain, join them." Vain sigh and said, "Fine, but I won't like it one bit." Void then said, "It'll be fine. I'm planning to join as well, but as Lumia's support. I'll make it worth your time. Anyway, you guys have caused enough problems, leave." They look at Vain to defend them and he said, "Leave." He was really mad and annoyed and wasn't in the mood to drag things out. So Tedgy and his group left the mansion and walked back to town.

When it was only them Vain asked, "So what did you see?" Void reply, "Seems that boy is more than he lets on. Be careful around him and keep a close eye on him. Also keep an eye on the girl as well, she's quite special. The other two you can ignore." Vain nodded his head and said, "Alright." Void then look to Luvia and said, "Luvia, when you have finished with your business come see me. We'll be doing some training and like always there's no fighting. I'm going to teach you some observation magic. They'll come in handy if you plan to continue using healing magic as well as some dispel magic. Don't worry, no one and no animal will be harmed in this training. Except... maybe some books from my personal collection."

Vain gave her a thumbs up and said, "Get going, I'll do something about this and good luck." So Luvia left and followed after Void. Rexalia had gotten a small cut from Tedgy, Lumia was trying to heal it, but she couldn't. Vain saw some dark aura float out of the wounds, so he put his right hand on Rexali's cut, and when he removed his hand it was gone. Vain then started to walk towards the back and said, "Let's do some training of our own."


© 2017 Michael Yang


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on July 22, 2017
Last Updated on July 22, 2017

GodsMight


Author

Michael Yang
Michael Yang

Fresno, CA



About
Hobbies are playing games, writing, and reading. All my friends call me lazy due to the fact I rarely do anything besides sleep unless something piques my interests. more..

Writing