Chapter 42

Chapter 42

A Chapter by Michael Yang

A gate opened in the middle of a blizzard and everybody walked out of it, standing in the knee deep snow. They looked around and couldn't see far through the storm, so Void said, "Looks like we arrived at a bad time." Vain then said, "Deal with it, you're traveling with me. Just be glad it doesn't get any worst then this." Right when Vain said that, the ground started shaking as an avalanche came towards them. Veto then said, "You just had to jinx it." Vain then said, "Shut up and deal with it!" Luvia held onto the children and Lumia held onto Rexalia as the avalanche swallowed them. Everybody then poked their heads out of the snow and Luxia said, "Well it went from knee deep to our shoulders." Vain then said, "So? Who cares, we can still stand on top of it." So everybody cast magic on their feet and hands and climbed out of the deep snow, standing on top of it. But Rexalia couldn't use magic, so Lumia carried Rexalia in her arms. While Void taught the kids how to use a basic levitation spell. Though Void told them to control their energy to a certain level so that they wouldn't tire themselves out. Even though the magic won't last as long, they at least won't be exhausted in an unknown location with unknown threats. If the magic did run out Void said he'll cast it for them, but he was immediately rejected and the children instead said that they wanted to ride on Vain's shoulder. Vain was reluctant, but Luvia gave him a little persuasion and he decided to do it.

So he fully equipped Zec and picked Flayna and Nezerand up onto his shoulders, while Ruby was carried by Luvia. As they walked, the scene of Vain and Luvia with the three kids acting like a family spark a question from Lumia and she asked them, "Hey Vain, back in your original world, did you and Luvia had children together?" Vain looked at her and replied, "Yeah, we did. We had five kids and in case you're wondering if they're fine they are. They're healthy and strong and protective of one another after all Luvia did raise them." Lumia smiled and said, "I see. No wonder you're so good with kids." Vain then said, "I'm not good with kids. I actually don't like kids. They're loud, annoying, picky, bratty, rebellious, and they do and say a lot of stupid things." Flayna, Ruby, and Nezerand felt a little depress and thought that they were probably annoying Vain. But Vain then said, "But that's what parents are for. After all, I brought them into the world with Luvia. They had no choice in wanting to be born or not. So as parents, we at least owe it to them. So we gotta be understanding and caring, but also strict and stern with them. We get mad enough to hate each other at certain times, but they have to understand us as much as we try to understand them. It's not easy and makes everyone's head spin but in the end, we all worry about each other and because we worry that's how we know we care." Everybody was amazed at what Vain said and Void said, "Wow, you're actually a good father Vain. That's surprising." Vain then said, "Shut up."

They all continue walking through the blizzard and soon they see a small light up ahead. When they got closer, they saw that the light was coming from inside a wooden house. So Void knocked on the door and said, "Is anyone there?" As they waited, Zec detected three heat signatures leaving through a window in the back of the house and five still inside. Zec told Vain the info and Vain handed Flayna and Nezerand to Veto and said, "I'll leave this to you. I got three runners to f*****g catch." As Vain ran off, Void shouted to him, "Remember don't..." Vain then cut him off and said, "Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't kill, we need information." Soon Vain was gone and Void took out a lockpick and opened the door. Everybody walked into the house and Vain was gaining on the three people. But soon they ran behind a tree, Vain then heard the sounds of a machine and then something turning on. Zec then said, "Master three large heat signatures in front of us." Soon a ten-meter mech removed its camouflage and knocked the tree aside, swinging its sword at Vain. Vain dodge it and two more mechs appeared, but they were zooming away from the fight. So Vain summoned Ray and Lem far in front of them, so they couldn't see the magic circles as they were concealed in the blizzard. Ray lunge at one of the mechs, giving it no time to react and knocking it down onto the ground. With the other mech distracted Lem was able to fire his turrets at its leg, destroying them, and making him fall down.

The mech fighting Vain soon turn around and showed his back to Vain to go help his friends, but soon a giant blue and white hand touched his shoulder. When he looked behind, there was a blue and white mech the same size as his, and the tiny robot was gone. He then tried to rotate back around, but Zec placed his leg between the mech's leg, and stopped him from turning, before tearing the head and cutting the limbs off. Zec then displayed several screens to Vain who was riding inside the cockpit, in his chest. Vain was looking at their mech's design and Zec said, "They're made pretty well master, but in terms of mobility they're quite lacking." Vain then said, "I see, well it doesn't matter. Make sure Ray and Lem bring them back alive." Zec then said, "Yes master," so they removed the hatches and captured three men.

While back inside the house, Void and the others talked to a man and woman with animal ears and tails. From their chat Void was able to tell that they were far north and the man was a wolf and the woman was a fox. The man had black fur and the woman had orange fur with the tips being white. They had moved out of the city and into the country side. To hopefully get away from the war between their nation and the humans. Magic also does not exist in this world and is said to be fiction. But technology is somewhat advance since they have mechs, cars, television, and video games. Void nodded his head to the man's explanation and they could hear the children laughing as they played together. So they turn their attention to the children and the man said, "It's nice to see our children getting along." Void then looked at the couple and said, "Oh, actually they're not mine. They belong to Luvia and Vain. Luvia is the lady in white clothes and Vain well... he went after those military people. You'll get to meet him when he gets back." The man turned his attention to Void and said, "Why would he go after them? He'll get himself killed." Void saw the dread on his face and said, "I assure you he'll be fine. We wouldn't have let him go if he wasn't going to be." The calm tone in Void's voice quickly calm him down and Void said, "Now then, I thank you for talking with us. We won't over stay our welcome." They all then got out of their seat and the woman said, "Won't you guys stay a little longer?" The man stared at his wife and whispered, "We shouldn't trouble these travellers."

His wife whispered back, "But if their companion is as strong as they say, then he could protect our village resources. Otherwise, everyone will die or worst." Even though they were whispering Void heard their chat and said, "If you want our help then we're more then happy to provide it." The man then asked Void, "Are you sure? There's no guarantee you'll survive." Void smile underneath his mask and said, "Of course, we'll do what we can. If anything happens just take care of the little ones." So with their chat finished Luvia and the fox woman starting preparing food in the kitchen. While Void left the house with Luxia and went to go talk to the others. Once they made it to the back of the house, Void began his talk with the other three people, and Vain and Luxia prepare for battle. Void then said, "So judging from the chat with them, I take it you three were sent as scouts. But I bet your hormones got the better of you after looking at the lady inside and you wanted some fun." One of the men spoke and said, "You have no proof." Void then took off his glasses giving him a glare and said, "You want proof? I have plenty, the first thing I noticed when we entered, the frightened children, a bruised man hugging his lover protectively, and her clothes were slightly torn as if someone was forcing them off. When I was picking the lock opened, I even heard the man frantically getting off the floor and hurrying to his wife's side. Shall I continue?"

They didn't utter a word so Void said, "Then shall we move on? I have some questions and they need answers, let's get started." Void kept asking question after question and when they didn't answer any of them, Void told Vain to let them go. So Vain untied their hands and shoved them away. The leader, man that spoke to Void before, then said, "Wait, you can't leave us out here. We'll freeze to death." Void then said, "Hm... did I hear voices?" Vain then said, "You've been out in the cold too long that your stupid head is hearing things. You were even asking a lot of questions to yourself. Come on, let's heat your stupid a*s before you hear more nonsense." Luvia and Luxia were already inside, so Vain pushed Void into the house and closed the door. Soon they're all eating dinner and Luvia was carrying three blankets as she opens the front door. The three men were huddling together by a stack of woods and they saw Luvia standing in front of them. She reaches a blanket out, smiled, and said, "Here these will keep you warm. It would be sad if you die and someone starts missing you." They took the blankets and knew that one won't keep them alive, but it was better than nothing. But when they wrapped themselves in it, the cold somehow disappear like it wasn't there. Luvia then went back into the house, got three bowls of soup, and came back out with them. She handed the bowls to them and to their surprise it didn't get cold but stayed warm. She sat down on her legs in the snow and said, "I'll wait for you guys to finish. So I can take the bowls back inside before I eat."

The soldiers all felt that they had met the devil before and suddenly a saint had appeared in front of them. They soon realized she wasn't wearing warm clothing and thought she must be freezing. So they quickly ate the soup, dripping some of the warm broth down their chins and into the snow. Soon they finished and handed the bowls back to her. Luvia laughed, taking out a white handkerchief, and said, "You guys could've taken your time enjoying the food." Their leader then said, "But, aren't you cold?" Luvia shooked her head while wiping their chins and saying, "I'm not cold. After all my clothes are special. Just like those blankets. Well, I'll take these away so you three can sleep peacefully." Luvia gave them one more smile, before taking the bowls, and walking back into the house. The three men were warm and full, so they decided to head out into the storm and returned back to their base to inform their commander.


© 2017 Michael Yang


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on August 7, 2017
Last Updated on August 7, 2017

GodsMight


Author

Michael Yang
Michael Yang

Fresno, CA



About
Hobbies are playing games, writing, and reading. All my friends call me lazy due to the fact I rarely do anything besides sleep unless something piques my interests. more..

Writing