Unexpected Chapter 32

Unexpected Chapter 32

A Chapter by Julie Beth

 

Carson stood by the nursery window and bounced the little baby boy in his arms. Carson kept expecting him to break into tears, but he hasn't cried once in Carson's arms. Carson held him until the nurse came back. By this time the baby was sleeping. Carson didn't blame him, it was four in the morning, the kid was only a little less than two hours old.

"Carson?" Carson looked up and saw that the doctor who was taking care of Maddy was talking to him. "I think you should give the baby to nurse Penny, we have to talk."

Carson looked down at the little boy; he didn't want to give him to the nurse. It was the only thing he had left of Maddy right now. The small part of her he could hold on too. The nurse was in front of Carson with open arms as Carson slowly slid the baby into her arms. Then he followed the doctor into down the hall and stopped at another hospital room.

"We were able to stop the bleeding, and she's stable. She's still unconscious and sustained minor injuries; I suggest she takes things easy. Bed rest her for about a week and no heavy lifting." The doctor continued to list off what Maddy won't be able to do, but Carson didn’t care, he just wanted to see Maddy.

"Can I see her?" Carson asked cutting off the doctor. The doctor nodded and opened the door they were standing next to. Carson walked in, sat down in the chair next to Maddy, and held her hand.

 

 

I've never felt so tired and weak in my life. I'm in one of those states where I’m not asleep, but I’m not awake. I want to open my eyes, but at the same time I want to sleep forever. I know the pain is going to get worse, there's just a stinging sensation in my stomach and wrist. I probably can't feel the real pain because of all the medication they threw in me.

I slowly got the strength to open my eyes. When I did, everything was bright and blurry. My right hand had two large IV's in it and my left hand was bandaged up. I looked over to the clock on the wall; it was nine thirty in the morning. I heard someone shift on the right side of me.

"Maddy?" I heard Carson's voice. I looked over and saw him sitting in the chair next to my bed. In his arms, he was holding a little baby in a blue blanket. I smiled as my sight god more blurry from the tears welling in my eyes. Carson took the tears in the wrong way. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? Do you need me to get the doctors?" Carson shot out question after question. I would laugh, but it would hurt like hell.

"He's okay?" It was the only thing my raspy voice could make out. Carson looked down at his arms and if he forgot he was holding him.

"He's perfect." Carson replied with a smile on his face. "Do you want to hold him?" I nodded not taking my eyes off him. Carson slid him into my arms, and then he kissed my forehead. "You scared me to death, Maddy, I thought I lost you." He whispered in my ear. I leaned my head on Carson's should still looking at the baby.

"What happened?" I asked I knew I was in a car crash, but I need to know more.

"You and Xavier were hit by a drunk driver. It was pretty bad." Carson said I could feel him looking at me and he was shocked when my head snapped up.

"Is Xavier okay?" I questioned. "I remember looking over at him he was covered in blood. Oh god." I sobbed as I tried to shake the memory out of my head. Carson rubbed my back and responded.

"He's okay, he's a bit roughed up, but he's mostly worried about you." Carson soothed. I took a deep breath and looked down at the baby who was looking up at us with his big eyes just taking everything in.

"Hi." I said in my high pitched baby voice. "Are you okay? You’re a good baby." I tell him. "Every baby I held starts to scream, but not you." Carson started to laugh. I looked over at him. "I'm sorry Carson."

"What are you sorry about? You didn't do anything." Carson replied confused.

"About everything that happened since I got pregnant. I want him to be your baby more than anything." Carson sighed.

"I know you do, I want him to be mine too, but he's not. If you want to though, later on in life, when you're not in high school, maybe we could have one." Carson replied smiling at the baby. I looked back down at the baby.

"You'd like that huh? A little sibling? Yes you would." I loved his little face. I was about to ask Carson about something important, but I was interrupted.

"Damn, you guys are already talking about have kids and this one isn't even a day old. I looked up and saw Jasmine wheeling Xavier into the room. He was in a wheel chair and had cuts all over him, not to mention broken bones. My eyes widened, Xavier noticed right away. "Maddy, I’m not bond to a wheel chair for the rest of my life, I’m being lazy. So get that look off your face." I took a breath and felt much better I don't know what I would do if Xavier was in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

"Maddy," Jasmine said as she parked Xavier next to Carson. "I called your mom. She's going to come later on tonight. She would have come sooner, but she was at your grandfather house getting the last of his things out of there when I call." Jasmine pushed her blonde hair out of her face.

"Thanks Jasmine." I said looking at Xavier. "So, you’re okay? Like no permanent damage has been done?" Xavier scoffed shook his head.

"I'm sorry Maddy, I tried to swerve away, but it was too late. Are you okay?" Xavier asked looking down at the baby.

"I'm fine, but Xavier, it wasn’t your fault." I smiled looking down at him. Xavier gently patted me on the back with his good hand.

"Thanks Maddy, then I’m fine too.” Xavier took a breath then his tone of voice changed. “Look it Maddy, your baby's not deformed. See, I told you were freaking out over nothing." Xavier said in his fake cheery voice then turned to the baby, "Isn't that right little guy, your mommies’ paranoid." I gave Xavier the death glare. The babies’ eyes started to water and he looked like he was going to cry.

"Xavier, stop looking at my baby, your face is scaring him." I said in a serious voice and Carson broke out laughing.

"My face is beautiful." Xavier retorted.

"Your face looks like that girl who fell down the well in the movie, the ring." I think that Xavier hasn't gotten a good look at his face yet. Xavier backed his wheel chair away from the baby.

"Oh." That was all Xavier could come up with. "So," Xavier said changing the subject. "His birthday is April 24. Someone write it down because I probably won't remember." I rolled my eyes

"Trust me Xavier, I’ll make you remember." I retorted with a smirk on my face.

 

 

After a little while, Xavier had to go back to his room. He was getting tired and the pain medicine was wearing off. He wouldn't say anything about it, but you could see it on his face. My pain medicine was wearing off to. I had Carson take the baby as he pressed the button for the nurse to come in.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the pain medicine made me drowsy. I was already tired, but I didn't want to go back to sleep.

"We don't have anything ready for this guy." I told Carson as I was fighting to stay awake.

"Yeah," Carson agreed. "I know. You have to stay her for at least three more days, same with Xavier. I figure, when your mom gets here, I’ll go out and get some stuff. Dave is giving me three weeks out of work since you and Xavier are going to be on bed rest."

"Hm." I knew it was only a matter of time before I fell asleep. "Carson, what do you want his middle name to be?" Carson laughed

"You need to give him a first name before I come up with his middle name." Carson replied gently rocking the baby in his arms. The baby fell asleep a while Xavier and Jasmine were in here, guess he thought we weren't exciting enough for him.

"I have on in mind." I said as I reached out to touch the babies' forehead. Carson thought for a moment and then said,

"How do you feel about Matthew?" I looked over at the baby's face.

"Dennis Matthew Chase. I like the sound of it. When we get married, you can adopt him so he'll be Dennis Matthew Evans... I like you're last name on him better." I mumbled barely able to keep my eyes open. Stupid drugs are designed to knock you out now a day.

"Perfect name for him. Go to sleep baby," Carson said as he lightly kissed me on the lips. "I'm going to go home when your mom gets here. Then I’ll come back once I pick up some stuff for Dennis."

"Hurry back." I whispered so softly, I don't even think Carson heard me.

"I love you." was the last thing I heard Carson say before I drifted off to sleep.



© 2011 Julie Beth


Author's Note

Julie Beth
no i wouldn't kill off Maddy, that'd be meann and i'd cry . :) so yes here you go

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good chapter. I know how that feels having surgery and everthing... I hated it....so yeah. I love thelee name of the baby. It's a good tribute to her grandfather. Cann't wait to read on. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


still slightly mad at you but he is cute

Posted 12 Years Ago


AW, what a beautiful moment and I liked how mady told Xavier that his face was scaring the baby. LOl! That was kinda mean, but funny.
as my sight god-got

Posted 12 Years Ago


AWW! PERFECT ending! if it is an ending. i loved it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yes that would be mean xD Yay! It was so sweet and he FINALlY has a name :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


YES THAT WOULD BE MEAN. I loved this chapter. Very satisfying. NOW WRITE MORE, OR DIEEEEE.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think this chapter was the best yet. . It was heartfelt, loving, and somewhat funny! Great chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


yaya
DENNIS MATTHEW?
OMG
THAT IS SUCH A FREAKISHLY CUTE NAME
I LOVE IT.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 23, 2011
Last Updated on September 10, 2011


Author

Julie Beth
Julie Beth

lala land, RI



Writing
Content Content

A Story by Julie Beth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lie to Me Lie to Me

A Poem by Anonymous