Unexpected Chapter 40

Unexpected Chapter 40

A Chapter by Julie Beth

I groaned as I opened my eyes, the pain in my stomach was more intense than when I had Dennis. The room was bright, even in the dead of night...or at least, I think it's the dead of night. No one's around, it's pretty dark out, so I’m thinking it's the dead of night.

Every bone in my body was telling me to stay put, don't leave your room, go back to sleep. I ignored their pleads and slowly started to rise. I gasped in pain and gritted my teeth together. The pain in my stomach intensified by a very large number. Tears stung in my eyes and rolled down my face. I lay back down, which was much worse than sitting up. I put my pointer finger in my mouth and bit down hard, trying to subside the pain, but it did nothing.

I looked around for that special button you can press that make the nurses come in and give you special drugs to make you feel all jumpy and happy, but I couldn't find it. There wasn't a clock in this room, and I say screw it, I’m not going through the night like this.

I took the pillow and put it in my mouth. Then placed both hands firmly on the bed and pushed myself up. My teeth clenched the pillow and muffled my scream. Tears were streaming down my face; I never thought I could be in this much pain. Once I was sitting up straight up, I slowly turned to the side, wincing at every move I make. Lifting myself off the bed so I was standing straight up, was the worse. I’m losing hope that someone is actually here. I've been screaming into a pillow for two hours and there is still no sign of life.

Quit being such a baby. I scolded myself as I took baby steps out into the hallway. I still had my pillow, it was clenched to my chest, like a safety blanket, you could say. The hallway had very few lights on, it reminded me of one of those end of the world movies, where you're all alone in your time of need.

It never occurred to me that I had no idea where the hell I was going until I was stopped in my search for a nice person with drugs.

"Excuse me Miss?" A male voice said. I turned around and saw a police officer standing outside a door. That's reassuring; I’m in the same hospital with a criminal.

"Y-y-yes." I stuttered trying to find my voice. I was still freaked out that I’m sharing a hospital with a criminal.

"Aren't you suppose to be in bed?" He asked me as he peaked in the room one last time, and then slowly shut the door.

"I-i-i d-d-don't know. I just w-w-woke up, i'm in p-p-pain. I can't find a nurse anywhere... and i think i'm lost. W-w-what time is it?" i asked the police officer who looked worried now. He probably thinks i'm one of those insane people that mumble to themselves about how they're going to destroy the world. The police officer looked down at his watch.

"One thirty am. Come on, I’ll help you back to your room." I looked at him as if he was mad. "Is everything alright?"

"You're going to leave the criminal all alone? What if he breaks out?" I asked starting to panic. The officer’s face was full of confusion.

"What criminal?" He asked. I pointed to the door he was blocking. The officer looked at it and chuckled lightly.

"It's not a criminal, it's my son. It was bring your kid to work day today. One of the prisoners broke out and knocked him unconscious. I’ve never been so scared in my life; i thought i lost my son." He explained to me as he looked down at the ground. I could tell he blamed himself for what happened.

"It's not your fault you know. I know what you went through, but there is nothing you could have done to stop it." I told him as i walked up to him. Wincing with every step i took, then patted him awkwardly on the back. The officer gave me a kind smile.

"What's your name?"

"I'm Maddy." I told him simply.

"Do you know what room you're in Maddy?" He asked me as we started to walk at a slow pace. After two steps i was already breathing heavy.

"224B." I told him in between gasps. The officer stopped and took a wheelchair that was in the middle of the hallway, and told me to sit in it. I put the pillow in my mouth, trying not to scream as i sat down, but failed. Even though my scream was muffled by the pillow, the officer still heard it.

"You okay?" He asked coming around the wheelchair and crouched down in front of me so we were at eye level. This oddly made me feel like a little kid again. I squeezed my eyes shut as if that would take away the pain and nodded my head, but he didn’t believe me.

“Why are you here Maddy?”He asked me, and he meant it. He really cared about the answer. I’m not one to usually go pouring out my life story to anyone who wants to listen, but he is a cop. He could help…maybe. I looked at him straight in the eye and told him,

“I am here because my dad raped me and got me pregnant. I lied to my boyfriend about it, moved into his condo, and when he found out; he was pissed off and broke up with me. He broke up with me because I lied to him and told him it was his. I then moved out of his condo and back with me dad and the second he found that out, he came over, kicked my dad’s a*s, then told me he wasn’t going to let me live with the b*****d. I moved back in with my boyfriend, he insisted on sleeping on the couch and me in his bedroom. Later on, we got back together. I went out to the movies with my best friend Xavier, who also lives in the condo with my boyfriend, Carson. Carson was working that night, and Xavier and I got hit by a drunk driver. I had an emergency c-section and my son Dennis was born. After that, my dad started to harassed me, telling me that he would lie, and take Dennis away from me. At this point in time my mom decides, you know what Maddy, I know I kicked you out, but I want you to come home, you don’t have a say in the matter. So I came home like the stupid girl I am, my dad got there and he stabbed me, and now I’m here. I have no idea if Carson is okay, or if Dennis is okay. And I’m in pain, and I just want Carson and Dennis.” I sobbed. I feel bad for this police officer. I know it’s his job to do good, but to listen to a sixteen year old vent about how s****y her life is, he should be getting paid over time for this.

“I’m sorry.” I told the nice police officer. “I’ve just been bottling that up forever.”

“You know Maddy, there are sick people in this world. Some are right in our own home. You are strong to make it this far. " He told me as he took out a bag of tissues from his pocket and handed me one so i could dab my eyes. "I don't know if this will help, but earlier today i saw a young man with reddish hair holding a baby with hair just a bit lighter than yours." My heart rate started to go back to normal and i relaxed a little bit. Carson was okay, and he had Dennis.

"Thank you." I told him. He gave me a quick pat on the knee and started to wheel me to my room.

"What's your name?" I asked him realizing i didn't ask for it yet.

"Officer Nelson." He told me as we came up to my room.

"That's a cool name." I told him and he laughed.

"Not many people think it is." He started to wheel me to my bed but first i asked him to wheel me to the table.

"Why the table?" Nelson asked me confused.

"My cell phones on it..." I told him a bit hesitantly

"Cells phones are suppose to be off in the hospital." Nelson told me in a disapproving tone.

"Please." I begged. "I'll be really quiet and it will only be until i fall asleep. I won't wake anybody up, i promise." Officer Nelson sighed and wheeled me to my bed. Then helped me in it. I still cried out because the pain was still so intense. After i was lying in my bed with tears streaming down my face from pain, Officer Nelson walked over to my table and then handed me my cell phone.

"Be very quiet. I will be back here in a half an hour with a nurse to give you medicine, you better be off the phone by that time, get it?" He told me in his stern police office voice that told me i better not mess up. I gave him a nod and a solute and he left the room laughing.

I turned the volume on my phone down low as i punched in the number I’ve call so many times before.

"Hello?" A wide awake voice broke through the phone.

"Are you still awake?" I asked.

"Oh thank god Maddy." Carson sighed into the phone, did he seriously not go to sleep yet? "Are you okay?"

"I'm not answering your question until you answer mine." I told him stubbornly through the phone. I heard Carson lightly chuckle.

"Yes, i am still awake. Are you okay?"

"Why are you still awake? It's like almost two in the morning." I told him feeling oddly like a mother yelling at her child.

"I'm not answering your question until you answer mine." Carson did a poor Imation of me...smart a*s. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm in pain, but I’ll live. Is Dennis okay? My dad didn't touch him did he?" I asked holding the phone really close to my ears.

"Hold on." Carson told me. Hold on? What kind of answer was that? Just then my phone buzzed and i had a text message from Carson i opened it up to see a picture of Dennis in footie pajamas on Carson's bare chest, fast asleep, and unharmed. I smiled.

"Why is he wearing footie pajamas, it's spring, he should be in short sleeves." I told Carson in my motherly voice. I could picture Carson rolling his eyes right now.

"Xavier dressed Dennis, so take it up with him." Carson told me as i heard A voice that sounded like Officer Nelson and what possible could be a nurse.

"Carson." I whispered in a hushed voice. The nurse is coming in to give me medicine so i can sleep, i'm not suppose to be on the phone so i have to go...but can you promise me something?"

"What do you want me to promise?"

"Promise me that you'll go to sleep and be here in the morning."

"Promise. Love you Maddy."

"I love you too Carson." I replied smiling as i hung up the phone and shoved it under my pillow.

Nelson walked in with a nurse who looked to be around the age of fifty. She had curly short grey hair, and didn't look to happy to be here.

"Lie back all the way." She told me. I nodded my head and gasped in pain as i slowly laid down. The nurse put medicine in me and then walked out of the room. I looked over at Nelson who shrugged.

"Turns out she was already on her way to give you medicine before i asked her. I tried to delay her the best i could." He explained as he sat down in the seat next to my bed. I nodded my head.

"Better than nothing, thanks anyways." I told him sincerely. "I don't want to sound like i'm trying to get rid of you or anything, but aren't you suppose to be with your son?" Nelson shook his head. "My wife is in the room with him. I'll go back one you go to sleep, just to make sure you're okay."

"Thank you." I whispered lightly.

"Did you get through to your boyfriend?" Nelson asked making small talk until the drugs took their effect.

"Yep, he was wide awake when i called." I told him reaching under my pillow and clutching my cell phone.

"Is your son okay?" He asked. I slowly pulled out my phone and showed him the picture of Dennis Carson just sent me, which i already set as my background. Nelson took my phone and smiled.

"He looks like you." He told me as he shifted in his seat. "Does your boyfriend take care of him too? What did you say your boyfriends name was?"

"Carson." I told him. "He helps take care of Dennis all the time. He treats him like he's his son. I just wish he was, i'm still mad at myself to lying to Carson about the baby being his." I replied as my vision started to get blurry. Nelson started to say something, but i couldn't hear him, i was already fast asleep.

 

 

I woke up to see Xavier on the floor with Dennis on his stomach.

"Your cast is off." I mumbled as my vision cleared. Xavier’s head snapped up toward me, then smiled.

"Ha-ha, yeah it is, but they are making me wear this stupid black thing for the next two weeks. How are you feeling?" He asked me as he started to stand up while balancing Dennis. Dennis had his hand in his mouth and his big eyes were looking down at me. The second he saw me, he started to kick and bounce in Xavier's arms like he was trying to get out.

I shrugged."Fine, i guess." i responded as i watched Dennis start to fuss.

"Did you want to hold him?" Xavier asked getting ready to hand Dennis over. I shook my head no. This surprised Xavier more than anything. I looked over at the chair in the far room and saw Carson in it fast asleep.

"Not right now, i just don't feel up to it." I told Xavier. Xavier nodded his head understanding completely.

I was about to say something when my mom and John walked in. I could tell this was a quick work visit because John was in his lab coat and my mom was in her nurse scrubs. My mom walked over and kissed my forehead, and pushed my hair out of my face.

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" She asked me staying close to my side. I could tell she was nervous, almost scared. Probably scared my dad would come in here any second, but as far as i know, that's impossible.

"Fine." I simply said as John walked over to me.

"Maddy." John said in his stern, yet polite, doctor voice. "You should know it's against hospital rules to roam the hallways at night. My staff won't tolerate it." Xavier snickered as he looked to the ground. I glared at Xavier.

"Sorry John, I was just trying to look for a nurse so i could have some pain medicine, it won't happen again." I sighed as John came up behind he and firmly placed his hand on my back.

"Alright Maddy, i'm going to count to three, then you have to sit up alright. Then you have to tell me the pain on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst, alright?" I nodded my head, this wasn't going to end well.

"Okay, one, two, three." John counted. When he got to three, i started to lift myself up, but the pain was so unbearable, i ended up screaming, and tears started gushing out of my eyes. Xavier's eyes grew wide as John gently pushed me back down and told me to breath.

I took in short gasps of air in between sobs. Yesterday the pain was really bad, today, it was unbearable. All of the voices in the room were a blur, i didn't care for what they had to say, i just wanted the pain to end. I felt a wave of calmness rush over me when ha familiar warm hand slipped right into mine. I looked up through my tears and saw Carson standing by my side, telling me i was okay. That i was going to be okay. Just for a second i forgot about the pain, and believed him.

John came back in the room with some heavy duty pain medicine. One again i was stuck on bed rest, and, sadly, in summer school. Nothing brightens up your day quiet like when you're told you have to go to summer school if you want to graduate with your class.

 

 

Around noon time Xavier left because he had to go and get ready for work. Carson was sitting in the chair beside my bed, bouncing Dennis on his knee. Dennis squealed and Carson helped Dennis clap his hands. I watched them smiling. Carson would really make a great dad.

Three rapid knocks on the door, made me turn my head. In the doorway stood Officer Nelson in a pair of faded jeans and a plain black t-shirt.

"Hey." I said as he walked in he looked at me and smiled.

"Hey good to see you have a bit of color back in you, you were almost a ghost last night." Officer Nelson told me as he stood at the foot of my bed. He crossed his arms over his chest and looked at Carson.

"Is the  famous Carson and Dennis?" Nelson asked as he walked over to shake Carson's hand.

"Yep." i replied proudly. 'Carson, this is Officer Nelson. He caught me roaming the halls last night, i got lost when i was trying to find a nurse, and i was about to pass out because i was in so much pain. So he brought me back to my room and got me a nurse, and let me break the rules and call you at one thirty in the morning." Carson laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Oh course you would rebel and go around the hospital that early." He said the me then turned back to Nelson. "Thanks for getting her back here. Sorry if she gave you a hard time, she can be very stubborn."

"No problem, just helping out." Nelson replied to Carson, then he looked at me. "Well, my son is being checked out so i figured I’d check in on you one last time before i go. It was nice meeting you Maddy, you to Carson." He gave us a small smile then looked at Dennis. "He really does look like you Maddy. I put my number in your phone last night, if your dad ever shows up, or anything happens, give me a call." He said.

"Thank you." I told him smiling. "It was nice meeting you too." He smiled and nodded his head before he walked out of the room.

I looked at Carson and he was looking back at me, he gave me a smile then a kiss on the forehead. Dennis started to squirm in Carson's arms.

"I don't want to rush you or anything," Carson said looking down at Dennis. "But if you don't get better fast, this kid is going to go insane." Carson told me. I didn't have to tell Carson i didn’t think i could hold Dennis, he already knew. Instead, Carson sat on the edge of the bed and put Dennis on his lap.

Dennis was reaching out to touch my face and squealing when he did, he was the cutest baby ever.

I need to get better soon because i couldn't stand not being able to hold Dennis. This was going to be a long two weeks.



© 2011 Julie Beth


Author's Note

Julie Beth
So while you're reading this, i'll be thinking or at least trying to think of a plot for the sequel, if i CAN'T think of one, well then i suggest you start saying your goodbyes to Caddy

I didn't know how to end this chapter so i was like , i give up, so here you go.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this. The police officier was really nice to Maddy. I liked that he waas nice. I feel bad that Maddy was in all that pain. Getting stabbed is a terrible feeling. Good write. I thorougly enjoyed this book. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to start the sequel considering I know there is one.

Posted 12 Years Ago


rawr

Posted 12 Years Ago


love the detail in this chapter, very well written and keep writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I seriously think u should have a spin off that focuses on Xavier and Jasmine and Jasmine gets prego and goes on some reality tv thing where her whole teenage pregnancy is publicized. Maddy of course will be the uber helpful best friend who can relate. All in all it was completely fantastic and I like the way you ended it. Truley terrific job my friend!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Olivia's plot line was great... Maybe a mix of both Olivia's and Mayisha's. Now THAT would be a great book.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I never like goodbyes *goes and cries in corner*

I LOVE OFFICER NELSON

I LOVE LIV'S PLOT!!!!!!!!1

Writing keeps the dream alive
~V~

Posted 12 Years Ago


O.o I don't like goodbyes!

I loved it. Officer Nelson is aesome :D I like him so far!

I like Liv's plot idea except for Carson getting kidnapped! That would be depressing. lol.

Can't wait for more! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH MY F*****G GOD
I LOVE YOU
AND CADDY
CADDY IS AMAZING
I GET CREDITS FOR MAKING UP THE NAME RIGHT?

/MAJOR SPASM///

THAT WAS JUST EPIC.

THE COP WAS EPIC. AND NICE AND WHAT ALL COPS SHOULD BE LIKE♥♥


Carson's such a sweetie/ ♥ Love thsi book. OMG. The sequel should cover Caddy as they try to get along with parenting, andTHE TRIAL/ SHE HAS TO FACE HER DAD SO HE CAN GET LOCKED AWAY. A LAW THEME. THAT WOULD BE EPICCCC.... if so, can I be Maddy's epic lawyer? I'm not good at the lawyering stuff though...lolx.

NO MORE CADDDDDDDDDY?



NO
NO
NO

great ending though...
sigh
♥♥♥

Posted 12 Years Ago


NO NO NOOOOO. No goodbyes!

This was a brilliant chapter. Most wonderful. I love Officer Nelson, just 'cause of his name. :D

I GOTTA PLOT: MADDY GETS PREGNANT AGAIN. HER DAD ESCAPES FROM JAIL. CARSON DISAPPEARS/IS KIDNAPPED.

Whatya think?

WRITE MOOOOORE. Or you KNOW what will happen.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

387 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 12, 2011
Last Updated on September 13, 2011


Author

Julie Beth
Julie Beth

lala land, RI



Writing
Content Content

A Story by Julie Beth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..