Pleasant Happiness- Chapter 1- November 17th, 12 PM

Pleasant Happiness- Chapter 1- November 17th, 12 PM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

Kyle Jenson, A troubled teen who has had it rough before, but he doesn't know what his life has in plan for him, especially when he gets his first job.

"

I scatter around in the bathroom in search of it. Finally, I find it. There are so many things jumping around in my brain… I want everything to stop. No matter how hard I try, it’s never going to be enough to stop this pain! This burden is just too hard and I’m just done! As I sit there in tears of pain, hurt, and violation, I bring the blade down and feel the artery break apart. I scream. I scream like my lungs are bleeding out. As the red blood flows down my arm, and onto the floor. I feel no regret, I’m glad it’s done! There is no turning back and I have to face my reality. Blood keeps squirting out of my arm, as I am just sitting there, sobbing. Slowly, I lose strength in my body and it feels good. Tension is slowly releasing from my body. As I stare down at my arm, all I see is red, and I drop to the floor.

“Goodbye world.” I whisper before I lose consciousness.

           

 

 

 

 

            2 Months Before

I grab my lunch tray and head towards the table where my friends are at. As I approach the table, I say.

“I’m so excited you guys! I’m moving up in the world, I got a job!” I say, while smiling and taking the seat next to Jamie.

“That’s awesome, Kyle!” My best friend Jamie tells me. Jamie and I have been best friends since we were two. We’ve always shared the same things, we’ve always played together on the playground when we were kids, and we have always been close. We like the same foods, activities, and our hobbies almost mirror each other. We could be brothers. One thing that we both share very close with ourselves is that we are both gay. I realized I was gay when I was fourteen, which was two years ago, because I was looking up gay porn videos. I had to think if I was actually gay and when I realized I was, I was scared to tell anyone but a couple of months after I realized, I was gayI told Jamie. Jamie told me almost a year before that he was gay and I didn’t expect him to be gay at all, but he was! He just didn’t seem like the type. Jamie was cool with the whole thing and was actually glad that I was gay because he didn’t feel so alone. Even though we are gay, we don’t go around parading it. Our birthday are pretty close as well. We were both born in November, but I am the 20th and he is the 24th.

            Jamie is the muscular type with the awesome hair, and he is always getting hit on. I’m skinny, but I’m not athletic. Before I go on, I should probably say a little about myself. My name is Kyle Jenson, I’m a junior at Hill City High School in Hill City. Hill City is a really small town and there’s not much to do here. I’m a shy person when I don’t know someone but I can be outgoing when I want to be, mostly when I’m around friends. I’m short, but oh well, I just like to call it fun-sized. I have dark brown eyes with dark brown hair. Ever since seventh grade, I’ve been picked on and bullied because I’m gay. People call me names from time and time and it hurts. I suffer from mild depression every now and then. I seem happy on the outside, but some days I’m just dying on the inside.

            But, back to Jamie. Jamie is an awesome friend. He accepts me for who I am and I accept him for who he is. I’ve had some attraction to him, but I’ve never told him that. I believe it would make things awkward between us. I did share a kiss with him about a year ago though. We were hanging out with each other one summer day, and we were talking about our homosexuality. He and I have always have trouble finding guys because we are “unpopular”. I’ve had one boyfriend last year when I was fifteen, but it wasn’t serious. Jamie, on the other hand, is constantly getting hit on by guys. Jamie was going through this hard break-up from his only serious relationship a couple of months ago, and I tried to comfort him by wrapping my arms around telling him that it’s going to be alright. I set my hand on his leg, and he just looked at me. I’m not going to lie, that look he gave me was sexy and it did give me a small boner and he just leaned in and kissed me. It only lasted for like three seconds and it was really awkward. I let go of him. It got really silent for a few minutes but I think we just got caught in the moment.

            Anyways, got off topic. Tonight is my first night at my first job at a local grocery store and I’m really excited!  I’m trying to save up for a car because I recently got my license, which I am psyched to have.

            “I’m so nervous about tonight; I hope everything goes well.” I say.

“Everything is going to be fine. Everyone gets nervous when they go for a new job.” My friend Sierra tells me. 

“For my sake, I hope you’re right.”
            I have three more classes until the final bell rings. Algebra, Geography, and English. Algebra is also so boring for me to learn, but I’m good at it. I’m one of the top students in the class of twenty. The last three classes just zips right by. The bell rings. It’s 3 o’clock and I have thirty more minutes until I go in for my first day.
            I walked home all smiles. It was a mild Wednesday November day, the sun was out, blue skies, just perfect for my first day at work. My first day of work is three days before my 17th birthday, and everything has been just amazing. It has surely been one of my better days.  I live on Main Street, so I'm pretty close to everything in town. When I approach the front door, I notice my mom is home and she has a few windows open in the kitchen. I walk in the front door.
            “Hi Mom!” I say.
“Hey, how was school? You ready for work?” She asked me.
“School was alright, and yeah I am so ready for work. I’m nervous, but I know I’ll do fine.”
“You will do fine honey.” She tells me as she leaves the room.
             I put my blue work shirt on and put my nametag on my shirt. I look at myself in the mirror, and smile. “I’m ready.” I tell myself. “Bye mom, I’ll see you tonight!” I say, almost out the door.
“Okay, I’ll see you tonight, good luck!”

 



© 2015 John Duprey


Author's Note

John Duprey
Ignore grammar mistakes. This is a first draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww, Kyle seems so happy at the end of this chapter. It makes me curious as to why the beginning is him attempting suicide. I'll have to read on.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I enjoy how you have the scene where it's something that is happening at present time, and then you backtrack into the events that happened 2 months prior. It really intrigues the reader.

Posted 8 Years Ago


John Duprey

8 Years Ago

I love to foreshadow! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on May 20, 2015
Tags: Background, Characterization, LGBT, Young Adult, Foreshadow

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey