Making Up for Lost Time- Chapter 29- February 11th- 4:15 PM

Making Up for Lost Time- Chapter 29- February 11th- 4:15 PM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

After getting familiar with the facility and his new schedule, Kyle is reunited with Jamie. What happened to Jamie? How is Kyle going to react? We things still be the same?

"

            “Jamie!” I yell excitedly. I run over to him and embrace him tightly.

            “Let go this instance!” Michelle demanded. Me-ow! Can’t two best friends share a passionate moment, god! We let go of each other and look at Michelle directly.

            “Do you two know each other?” She questions.

            “We do actually. We have been best friends since kindergarten,” Jamie tells her.

            “And I ironically put you two together. Interesting, this could work actually because you two could help each other,” she tells us.

            “It will, I promise.” I tell her.

            “Alright, I trust you guys. You guys can stay in here if you’d like or you can go to the group room,” she tells us as she leaves the room.

            “Got it!” Trevor says from aside of the room. I embrace Jamie once again. It feels so nice to see someone that I know and feel comfortable with. “Will you two just get a room?” Trevor comments. Well someone doesn’t appreciate a good brotherly hug. I’m so confused why Jamie is here, he never ever seemed the type of person who would end up in a psych ward.

            “Jamie, what are you doing here?” I say as I let go of him.

            “I know it is weird to see me here, but I felt like I did something wrong.”

            “What do you mean?” I ask curiously.

            “When you and I got into that big fight in school I thought that is what triggered you attempting to commit suicide, plus I think I was a little too intimate when I came over to your house on your birthday. I felt like I hurt you, and I thought as your revenge, you posted that terrible message on my Facebook wall.”

            “No, Jamie. I would never!”

            “I know�"I know it was Jake and Diane.”

            “So what happened?”

            “No one knew what caused you to attempt suicide, and no one had any answers because you were in a coma. Jake actually turned himself in to the police, he was arrested, as was Diane.”

            “Good! Those scumbags can go f*****g die!”

            “Agreed, but I thought I trigged what made you attempt suicide, so I felt extremely terrible, and I made you relive what happened your first night at your job when I touched you.”

            “It’s okay, it was in the heat of the moment and I totally understand. You got caught up.”

            “I know, I still feel bad, but I didn’t hear from you for a little while, even when you were in the hospital still, so I thought I lost my best friend and that broke my heart.”

            “So what did you do?” I ask.

            “I started what you did to yourself, cutting.” Jamie shows me his arms and they’re all marked up in scars.

            “Wow,” I’m shocked that he would turn like this.

            “Yeah, and the day I called you to cancel�"I was having one of the worst days of my life.”

            “How so?”

            “I couldn’t face the fact that I thought I drove my best friend to attempt to commit suicide and I completely broke down. I called you just before I broke down and then that night, I filled up my bathtub with water and proceeded to drown myself.” A few tears rolled down his face�"I wiped them away. I hugged him.

            “Oh Jamie, I’m so sorry, I feel bad now. I should’ve called you instead of making me go through all of this.”

            “Kyle, it is not your fault�"we both interpreted the situation in different ways, but the good thing is that we are both still here.”

            “How did you survive?” I ask curiously.

            “Just before I lost consciousness I saw my parents come into the bathroom and take me out, then I lost consciousness. They took me to the hospital and I’ve been here for a couple of days now.”

            “Wow, how was it been?”

            “I felt like doing it all over again because I thought I lost you, but now you’re here.”

            “At least you’re getting help for it.”

            “Yeah, I know,” his voice trailed off. “Hey,” I look up. “I’m sorry about Brad,” he says. “It broke my heart when I found out, I was close to him as well.”

            “Yeah I know you were,” I say while looking down at the floor. “There is something else I need to tell you, Jamie.”

            “What is it?”

            “After I found out that Brad died, I completely lost it. I took my Mom’s car and sped towards my house. I never got to say goodbye, so I wanted to say hello in Heaven.”

            “Did you try it again?”

            “Yup,” I look away.

            “You get caught?”

            “The hospital called my Uncle Harry who is a Hill City Police Officer and he and his team rushed down to my house and stopped me.”

            “Wow that is scary.”

            “I know, but when he transported me back to the hospital, I got this evil plan.”

            “What do you mean?” He asks.

            “Earlier in the day I noticed there was a cliff off the edge of the road near the back of the hospital.”

            “Yeah I know where you’re talking about.”

            “So my Uncle Harry had me in handcuffs, but loosely, so I darted away from him and headed straight for the cliff!”

            “How did he stop you?”

            “I was so close to end it again, but he tased me, which paralyzed me.”

            “And I’m assuming that is what got you here.”

            “Yes.”

            “So you really wanted out, didn’t you?”

            “I did. If I couldn’t see Brad, I had no choice.”

            “I don’t blame you.” We hug once again.

            “I’ve missed you.” I told him.

            “I’ve missed you too!” He hugs me tighter. We both let go just in time because our tech came in.

            “Hi boys!” Victoria says.

            “Hi!” Jamie and I smile.

            “Sup, Vic?” Trevor asks.

            “Doing my job, how are you doing?” She asks him.

            “Still recovering, every day process.”

            “Yeah, I understand�"it’s hard,” she tells him. “Anyways, it’s 5 PM, time for dinner.”

            “Come on, I’ll lead the way.” Jamie walks me out of our room and I see all of the patients lined up. Trevor is behind me, he’s cute�"although I think half of America is cute, so no shock there. We start to walk down the hall and towards the cafeteria. It feels like I’m in elementary school again where we had to walk in a straight line behind one another. Once we got into the cafeteria every disputed quickly towards the dinner line. I follow Jamie quickly to get a decent spot in line.

            “Remember everyone�"no running!” One of the techs tell us. I could see a few kids running up to get a better place in line. I feel like I’m in school because we are being served food on trays and we get to sit at tables. The person behind the counter loads Jamie’s tray with macaroni and cheese and asks him what kind of vegetable he wanted.

            “Broccoli,” he tells her. She scoops him a cup of broccoli and handed him his tray. He smiles. She did the same thing to me, scooped me a cup a macaroni and cheese and asks me what kind of vegetable I wanted.

            “Carrots please,” I tell her. She hands me my tray and I move on. Jamie stops behind the doorway to let one of the techs inspect their food to make sure they have the proper amount of food. He checks us off both. Our tech is sitting close to us, but not directly with us.

            “So how is this place?” I ask Jamie.

            “Not bad, it sure does help.”

            “Really?”

            “Yeah because I came in involuntarily with suicide on my mind constantly. Through group therapy, talking to my psychiatrist, and keeping on track with my medicine, I am now clear headed and can think about my future.”

            “Wow that is incredible. How many points have you accumulated so far?

            “28.”

            “Did you lose some points?”

            “Yeah, on the first day I was here, I refused to go to group therapy at first, so they docked 2 points from me, so then I decided to participate because I didn’t want to lose anymore because I didn’t want to stay in this place anymore.”

            “That’s logical. So, have you talked to Trevor much?”

            “A little here and there, but I don’t know why he’s here besides that he tried to commit suicide.

            “Oh…Okay.” We finished eating all of our dinner around 5:30 and that is when Victoria check on us.

            “How are you doing guys?”

            “I’m doing okay.” I told her.

            “Yeah, how are you adjusting? Is there anything I can do to help?”

            “Well, it is helpful that Jamie is here with me.”

            “That’s good. I’m glad you two have each other.”

            “Me too,” I hug Jamie. She comes in closer to us.

            “I may be a cool tech, but don’t get too comfortable with each other because Michelle will notice, but if you two behave well and do everything you have to do, then you’ll no problems from me.” She smiles.

            “Sounds great,” Jamie tells her. Victoria leaves us and joins the other techs at the table in the middle of the room. “So visitation will start in a few minutes, do you think your parents will come?”

            “I hope so,” I tell him.

            “So far, my parents have visited me every night just to check on me.”

            “Wow, I bet they were surprised to find out that you were suicidal.”

            “Yeah, they were, but they understand why I did it.”

            “That is one thing I love about our parents is that they understand us.”

            “Yeah, I know,” he says.

            “Alright everyone, it is time to line up and go down to the group room for visitation,” one of tech announced. I followed Jamie once again. We lined up just outside of the cafeteria and start walking. The group room is near the main office just at the end of the hall. As we approach the space I notice that it turns to carpet and there are several couches and pillows on the floor. Some of the kids head straight for the corner of the room probably because they weren’t expecting to see their parents. One of the techs let the door open which, I assume is where the parents are waiting. I stand there waiting to see my parents. A crowd of about ten families flooded the group room. I instantly saw Jamie’s mom, then I saw I saw my mom next to her. I quickly walk up to her�"because we weren’t allowed to run. She was on the phone with someone, but I didn’t care, I embrace her anyways.

            “Kyle!” She says. “How are you doing?”

            “I’m doing okay, Jamie is here too, it makes me feel a little better.”

            “Jamie is here?”

            “Yeah, he’s here. Why?”

            “Oh, I’m just wondering why he is here, but he can tell me later, but go grab him.”

            “Why?”

            “Just go grab him!” She tells me excitedly. Okay, okay, I will. I walk about five feet to where he is hugging his mom.

            “Hey,” I tap his shoulder.

            “What’s up?” He asks.

            “My mom wants you to come with me.”

            “Okay, what for?”

            “I don’t know, but come here.”

            “Okay,” I grab his arm and he follows me over to my mom.

            “I got him, mom,” I tell her.

            “Great.”

            “You can come on in!” She tells the person on the phone. I look at the door and about 20 feet away, I see my dad come and he is helping someone.

            “Oh my god!” I scream. I fall to my knees and tears flood my eyes with joy and happiness. I stand up and get Jamie who is also in shock. 



© 2015 John Duprey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, what a great chapter, and what a great ending. What a way to keep the readers in suspense. I can't wait to see what happens next. I haven't been on the site for a while, but I got all caught up with the book last night. Can't wait to see the next chapter. Nicely done.

Stacey

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on May 27, 2015
Last Updated on May 27, 2015

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey