Day in the Hospital: Part 2- Chapter 27- February 11th, 1 PM

Day in the Hospital: Part 2- Chapter 27- February 11th, 1 PM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

After finally saying he needs to go to a mental hospital, Kyle has to go through a mental evaluation and enduring a full day in a place he does not want to be.

"

            I heard a sudden knock on my door, but more it was more of a rushed knock instead of the usually calming knock. Dr. Kanes came rushing in and headed straight for my bedside. I was getting scared"what was he going to do? Why is he in such a rush? I flinch and cover my head with my hands.

            “Please don’t hurt me!” I plead. Dr. Kanes stares at me deviously and I am totally unsure about what is going on? Did I do something wrong again? Probably, I wouldn’t doubt it.

            “Kyle, we just got back your results from the lab,” he says in an evil tone. “They aren’t good, Kyle. Not good at all,” he starts to chuckle. What is going on?  Has Dr. Kanes turned into a mad scientist? Has he been transformed into an alien? Or is my results that bad? I can’t handle this!

            “What’s wrong with me?!” I shout.                                   

            “Everything Kyle. There is nothing we can do for you, but put you out of your misery”

            “What do you mean?” I’m confused"isn’t he supposed to help me?

            “I’m sorry, Kyle,” he starts to laugh uncontrollably like a madman. He pulls out a gun and instantly points it at me!

            “What are you doing? I told you I’m willing to get better!”

            “There is absolutely no help for you!” Shots fired. I feel the bullet enter my chest wall. I scream in pain and clench my chest.

            “Why the f**k did you do that?”

            “It’s all over Kyle,” he says calmly. “This isn’t going to hurt one bit.” He points the gun right at my head and pulls the trigger. Blackout. I’m floating in midair"is this the afterlife? I’m hovering above my body. Oh dear god, what has Dr. Kanes done? He is leaving the room and I’m left there wondering what went wrong. My body is lifeless…just like Brad’s was. Two gunshot wounds, how could he be so crazy? I thought he cared about me? Oh my god, this can’t be real. Where are my parents? Can’t anyone notice what Dr. Kanes has done? I start hyperventilating. No, no this isn’t real! Nothing is real, not anyone. Whiteout.

 

            “Ahhh!” I scream. I instantly sit up and look around. I’m in my own body and there is the 18 inch TV on the wall and I’m still handcuffed to my bed. It was another frightening nightmare. Three nurse and doctors come rushing in to see what was going on.

            “Is everything okay?” One doctor asks me.

            “Yeah,” I’m still breathing hard trying to recover what just happened.

            “Are you sure?” A nurse asks.

            “Yeah, I’m okay.”

            “Alright,” she tells me. They all leave and I once again lie down on my pillow reminiscing what happened. Why would I dream about that? Is it just stress? Maybe I still want death? This time I hear a real knock on that door"I get scared for a moment, but realize that it was just a dream that happened"not real.

            “Are you alright, Kyle?” Dr. Kanes asks me. He seems genuinely concerned about me.

            “Yeah, I’m okay. I just had a nightmare is all.”

            “Alright, you sure?”

            “Yes,” I reassured him.

            “Alright. Anyways I got back your tests results just before that happened.” Yes! Finally some real answers.

            “What did you find, doc?”

            “You’re suffering from Panic Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Let me explain all three to you. Panic Disorder is where you feel constant intense fear in certain situations. In the past year, have you felt more fearful and less social?”

            “Ever since my attack, more than ever.”

            “Your records have showed me that you suffered from on and off mild depression, correct?” I nod my head.

            “Yes.”

            “Okay, so I’m assuming ever since your attack you’ve felt more depressed and down?”

            “Yes, I have.”

            “Abnormally sad, too much sleeping, extreme fatigue, feelings of guilt and regret about personal decisions, lack of concentration, and thoughts of death and suicide is the symptoms that you have been feeling?”

            “Yes, that sounds about right. I just have felt completely useless, worthless and dirty since my attack. I’ve felt like I don’t belong here and vulnerable. I know I’ve made impulsive decisions to attempt suicide, but I just can’t take it anymore.”

            “Were you on medication for your depression in the past?”

            “I was, but I stopped taking it my depression would be very spotty and some days it just wouldn’t work for me.”          

            “So we to up the dosage for you on that,” he makes a comment on his notepad. “Now, finally. I know 100% that you’re suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder because you were sexual assaulted and that memory is something that doesn’t go away. You were attacked and you have told me that you still have those memories and nightmares of being sexual assaulted. From what you marked, the symptoms that most affect you are: Disturbing thoughts, memories, a vivid sense of reliving the incident, dream or nightmares of the incident, not interested in normal day activities, emotional detachment, expectations of the future are shorten; like they feel they won’t live much longer, angry outbursts, difficulty concentrating, and startled easily.”

            “All of them sound like me,” I reply to him.

            “Okay, so now talking to you about them"I can fully diagnosis you with three mental diseases.”

            “So, what’s next?” I ask.

            “I am going to call the administrator at the mental hospital and tell her about your condition. They will set you up with a room"more than likely with a roommate, and then we will transport you to the hospital. Once you’re there, I will no longer be caring for you, but Dr. Nicks will take great care of you there. He is the head of the potential suicide wing, and his wife is a therapist there, and more than likely she will be yours.”

            “So I’m not going to see you anymore?” I ask. This sucks because Dr. Kanes has cared for from the start of my ordeal, and at the moment I only trust him.

            “Unfortunately not, Kyle, but you’re going to be in great hands, trust me,” he smiles.

            “Alright,” I look down, kind of shrugging my shoulders in disagreement.

            “Oh yeah, one more thing,” he turns around to me. “When you get there you will meet with the administrator and she will go over all the rules and restrictions.” I nod. I’m scared, I don’t know what to expect and it is, once again, another new environment           Dr. Kanes left the room and called the administrator at the mental hospital"he was gone for only a few short moments and then he returned.

            “You know, I’m surprised Kyle,” he tells me.

            “What’s that Dr. Kanes?”

            “I haven’t seen or heard from your parents at all today.”

            “Yeah I know, could I see them though?” I ask.

            “Well…I can call them and they can see you between 4-6 tonight at the mental hospital,” he lets me know.

            “Alright,” I smile.

            “Okay, your parents signed a form that I could release you to the mental hospital and I could transport you, if you’d like or feel more comfortable.”

            “Yes that would be great, Dr. Kanes!” I smile once again.

            “Sounds great, let me grab my jacket, and your paperwork and I’ll be back to grab you.” I nodded and he left the room. I’m finally ready to get better, since now I know what it is wrong with me and how to control it, but at the same time, I’m wicked scared and nervous. Dr. Kanes returned with a long trench coat on and my file.

            “Let me unlock you here,” he tells me as he bends down and unlocks the handcuff. He took the handcuff off of my left hand and it felt so good to have it off. It felt like a weight on my arm and it hurt after a while. I stood up"I was ready. Dr. Kanes handed me my jacket.

            “Wait, what about my other clothes?” Dr. Kanes turned around and looked at me.

            “Your parents dropped it off at the mental hospital already. Like I said, they already have a room set up for you.”

            “Oh okay.” I was content with that answer, but I was still nervous going in. I walk towards the door of the room. I placed my index finger on the light switch of the room and push it down. Once again, it is time to start another new chapter in my life.



© 2015 John Duprey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on May 26, 2015
Last Updated on May 26, 2015

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey