Actions Speak Louder Than Words-Chapter 23- February 10th 7:15 PM

Actions Speak Louder Than Words-Chapter 23- February 10th 7:15 PM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

After telling his uncle the most shocking news of his life, Kyle has to make a huge decision, but he's desperate. He will do anything.

"

            The rest of the car ride was completely silent. I was trying my hardest to stop crying, and face reality that I’m not going to get that chance to end my life. From what I got out of my uncle’s eyes is that it was hard for him to wrap his hands around the fact that one of his nephew’s died today, and his other nephew tried getting away to commit suicide�"I think he is still in shock. I believe I’ve cried in front of all of my relatives, and it sucks to know that I cry that much, I’m such a baby! I don’t want to show my face in that hospital, but even more shameful is going to be my uncle escorting me in handcuffs to where my parents are. Suddenly, an idea popped into my head as my uncle pulled into the hospital’s parking lot. I remember seeing earlier this morning that there was a cliff to the side of the road in the back of the hospital when my mom brought me to my appointment. If my uncle has a loose grip on the handcuffs I can slip by and make a run for it andjump.

            He parks in the back, perfect I think to myself. I just have to make a mad dash and cross the road. I know there isn’t much traffic at this time at night so I think I’ll make a clean getaway. I don’t know what is down at the bottom, but if I can get away, I’ll find out.  I estimate it is about 500 feet from where I am to where the cliff is. Oh god, I hope I can make it. I know I’m relying on my impulsive behavior again, but I NEED a way out, and this is the last shot I’ve got. He shut off the car, and the interior lights come on. They are very bright and shine right in my eyes. The doors are still locked (I imagine for safety) until my uncle unlocks them. He shuts the driver’s door, it wasn’t a fast shut nor a quiet a shut, just a normal, relaxed shut of the door. He hasn’t been treating me like a criminal, other than putting me in handcuffs. He didn’t seem rushed to get me out of the car, which gives me the sense of that he is not going to have a strong grip on me when he transfer he into the hospital, which means I could have a clean getaway. He walks up to the right rear of the patrol car. He presses the button to unlock his vehicle, and slowly swings the door open. He stares at me. Everything around us was dark, except for the dome light into the patrol car, but his ocean blue eyes stared at me, almost like he was trying to read my mind, or reach into my soul. His eyes were watery, gloss-like. I could tell that he was sad that Brad died, and I think he is coming off his high of realizing of the events of the day.

            “Are you ready, Kyle?” He finally asks me. I jumped in my seat and immediately looked up at him.  “Sorry.”

            “It’s okay,” I say. I took a huge sigh. “I’m ready.”

            “Okay.” He grabs my arm. It was a soft, gentle grab. I know he is going to have a lose grip of me. It feels so peaceful right now, everything feels so calm and I feel like I’m coming down from my high as well, but it is about to be ramped up again.

            I put my one foot outside and then swing my left foot out. I’m sitting on the edge of the seat. I feel so calm right now, but my heart is racing like crazy. The unpredictable is making me nuts�"I hope this works. I stand up slowly and stand up to my uncle. I’m going to give myself three seconds after he shuts the door and I run.

            My uncle slowly swings the door shut, I stand absolutely still. He locks the door, I look over to my destination, which is right behind me. He presses the button to lock his patrol car�"the car beeps and the taillights flash. He grabs my arm, just above my elbow.

            “Here we go,” he sighs. My heart starts beating much faster as we take the first step forward.

One. I start breathing harder, I hope I don’t run out of breath running. Two. We are five steps into it, I can’t get to far away from the road. Three. He has a loose grip on me. Perfect. He is not going to see what happened. If this doesn’t work, I’m fucked. I breathe, here we go. A blaring siren approaches from a distance, a perfect distraction. Go!  I sprit around and lose my uncle grip from my arm. No looking back, no listening to anything, just run.

            “Kyle! Stop!” He yells. No, I’m not going to. I’m going to die, it is going to happen no matter what! 400 feet away, I can see the road clearer now.

            “Kyle!” My uncle yells. My breathing is getting much harder, I don’t know if I can make it! I’m sprinting as fast as I can.

            “Stop Kyle! Don’t do this!” No, I NEED to do this. I don’t listen. I don’t feel my legs moving, I don’t care about my breathing, and all I care is making it to the edge of that road. 200 feet away, I can feel it. I can feel a cramp coming on in my right leg, it’s going to slow me up. I know I have at least ten feet in front of my uncle. I’m 50 feet from the road and then it’s about another fifteen feet of road. I’m so close, it’s finally time for me. As I’m running, it is hard for me to run in handcuffs I know my uncle can run faster because he can use his arms, but I’m not worried about that. I’m 10 feet from the road, and then payment! CRASH! I feel pulses running through my body. So much f*****g pain! Oh my god.

            “AHHHHHHH!” I scream. From what I can see if that I’m in the road. I was tased by my own uncle! We couldn’t he just let me die?! He picked me up and put me down the ground, faced down. He held me down. I see the ambulance blare blast us into the parking lot. He radioed the hospital. I couldn’t understand what he was saying, but I know he radioed the hospital because I heard him say “hospital”. He must have tased me when I got close to the road, but all I know is that I hit the pavement hard, and now my head hurts. I still can’t move�"my body stopped pulsing, but I still feel weak and disoriented. I saw a few hospital personnel running over to us.

            “You can let go of him,” I hear a voice tell my uncle.

            “His mental state is very bad right now. I had to taser him to prevent him from jumping off the cliff here, but I had no choice to taser him in the back,” my uncle tells them.

            “Do you know the reason why?” A woman asks.

            “Reason for what?”

            “Why he wanted to jump off the cliff.”

            “Yeah, his brother was killed in a car accident today. He has a past history of attempted suicide and depression. He is also my nephew.” His voice trails off.

            “Oh. I’m so sorry to hear about that. Does his parents know that he is�"

            I’m still disorientated and next thing I knew was on a stretcher being carried to the hospital. My back hurt like a m**********r, that must’ve where my uncle tased me. I hope he didn’t mess up my back.

            A bright, white light flashed me in the face, and it made it almost impossible for me to see. They carried me into a room in the ER. They carefully transferred me into a bed from the stretcher. Too many people were talking to me, I was getting bombarded with questions�"it was stressing me out. 

            “Can you still feel pain in your back?” A woman asked.

            “This isn’t going to hurt one bit.” A man tells me as he jabs in with an IV. OW! F**k!

            “I’m sorry, Kyle!” My uncle tells me. Yeah, I bet you are. Can I scream? Put me out of my misery and end it all! I want to tell to get the f*****g poison and shoot it up into my veins! I want to feel the rush of blood leaving my body again�"getting lightheaded and leaving the world. My eyes are getting darting in so many directions as people attempt to talk to me. My head starts to spin out of control, and the bright white succumb my body, and all the room is suddenly silent. Peacefulness, this is what I wanted. Unconsciousness.



© 2015 John Duprey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh no! You killed the brother! Poor Kyle, I feel so bad for him. No wonder he wanted to kill himself again. That's a terrible blow for him. Well, as always, I look forward to see what happens next. Was kinda sad I didn't see any new chapters last night. :(

Posted 8 Years Ago


This one always gets to me. It's hard thinking that Kyle is wanting to end his life so badly that he is willing to jump of a cliff just to die. I always freak out and go "Kyle no! Things will get better!" Your story is amazing and I enjoy reading it so much.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 20, 2015
Last Updated on May 20, 2015

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey