Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Kyle's Fate- Chapter 25- February 10th 10:05 PM

Kyle's Fate- Chapter 25- February 10th 10:05 PM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

After Tim and Heather discuss Kyle and Brad, the doctors talk to Kyle, Tim, and Heather about options for the future.

"

            “Kyle!” Heather jumps up. Dr. Kanes follows in with Kyle. Heather goes straight over and hugs Kyle.

            “Careful!” Kyle’s weak voice that barely makes a noise says.

            “I’m sorry, honey. Are you still in pain?”

            “Yes.”

            “How are you doing?” Tim asks him while laying his hand on his shoulder.

            “I feel dizzy.”

            “Here,” Tim pulls up a chair for his son to sit in. Kyle slowly sits down.

            “Better?” Dr. Kanes asks as he slowly comes into the room.

            “Yes.” Kyle replies.

            “Please, sit.” Dr. Kanes tells Heather and Tim as he himself pulls up a chair and sits across from the three of them.

            “So first in foremost, Kyle was just temporarily paralyzed�"the taser just stunned is all, and his body reacted badly to it.”

            “That’s good to hear.” Heather says.

            “Yes. So, I’ve cancelled the tests for the CAT since he woke up and is alert and responding well.”

            “Okay,” Tim responds, both of them nod simultaneously.

            “But, we are keeping him here for a while for evaluations. When I was talking to my partner, Dr. Samson, a few valid points that he brought up were things that I have overlooked. And we need to discuss current and future.”

            “Okay,” both agree once again.

            “Originally, I was going to have Kyle tied to his bed so he couldn’t escape and hurt himself, but he came around before we got to doing that. He seemed calm, and all of his vitals were near normal. He asked me if I go with me to talk with you guys about the future. We had a good five minute talk before coming here.

            “Right, and?” Tim asks.

            “I’ve decided that my mental state is not stable, and I can’t control myself, and I need help. I really do, and I’m ready to take on the challenge,” Kyle says.

            “Honey, you’ve been through a lot, and I know it has been very hard to keep it together, and I know you take back everything you did, but we all know that this is going to be the best decision for you in the long run.” Heather tells him.

            “Another thing that my partner brought up that I didn’t take into account the first was; is there any mental disease that Kyle has? Dr. Samson has suggested that Kyle may be suffering from bipolar disorder and severe depression, it would contribute to the impulsive behavior and decisions.”

            “Do you really think he has developed that?”

            “It’s possible. We won’t know until I run a series of variable tests on him tomorrow.”

            “What kinds of tests?” Heather curiously asks.

            “I’m going to ask him a series of psychological questions to get a better understanding to see where his head is at.”

            “How long will it take? Like to do all of the test?” Kyle asks.

            “Well, depending on how well you cooperate tomorrow, I’m hoping just the questions should take about thirty minutes. After the tests are complete and we have a solid result of a diagnosis, we are going to transport you to the Hill City Mental Hospital.

            “Okay, I understand.” Kyle replies.

            “I understand that everything has been bottled up inside of you for a long time, and events that keep happening in your life aren’t helping, but if you voluntarily go into the health clinic, you will have a better experience. If we have to force you, the first few days will not be pleasant.”

            “If I may ask, what will I expect when I go into the mental hospital?”

            “Everyone assumes it is a scary place, but it is not that bad. It is a place for you to get help and monitor you, but it is not a prison.”

            “So am I going to be guard watched or something?”

            “No. You will have a roommate, but you will be monitored more closely because you will be on suicide watch because of your past attempts and your impulsive behavior.”

            “Okay,” Kyle nods.

            “Couple of questions, Doc.” Tim asks.

            “Yes sir?”

            “First off, I want to apologize for my behavior today. It was inappropriate and it was uncalled for.”

            “That is quite alright Mr. Jenson. If I may ask you and Heather, do either of you have a history of a temper, impulsive behaviors or mental diseases in your family?”

            “Umm…” Heather hesitates.

            “Well on my side of the family, it was mostly my older brother and myself who have histories of mental illnesses.”

            “Can you elaborate on that Mr. Jenson?”

            “I had mild depression when I was adolescent, but nothing severe. I do have a bad temper and sometimes I can’t control it because of impulsive behavior.”

            “Does that impulsive behavior have any connection to a mental condition?”

            “Not that I know of. The doctors never diagnosed me with anything.”

            “Hmm, Kyle’s impulsive behavior could be hereditary meaning he got it from you.”

            “I never really thought that his situation could be hereditary because isn’t each situation different?”

            “That is correct, saying that his case is hereditary and the events that Kyle has been through could explain why his case is severe.   

            “Is all of this treatable?” Kyle asks.

            “Of course it is. At the moment your head is very cloudy and jumbled. At moments like this, you may have control of your impulses, but once something bad happens, you lose control.”

            “I think I had good reasoning both incidents when I tried to attempt suicide. I was pushed to the edge and when you’re being constantly bullied, harassed, beat up, threatened, and losing your best friend, you are at wits end and absolutely nowhere to turn. I was left standing out in an open ocean with sharks ready to attack me and drag me down at any moment. That’s what happened! I was dragged down!” Kyle raises his voice.

            “Calm down Kyle.” Heather tugs on his arm.

            “Are you finished Kyle?” Dr. Kanes asks.

            “Yes,” he mumbles.

            “This is what I’m talking about with impulses. You can’t control yourself in certain situations so you blurt out however you’re feeling, but if you can’t talk you will self-harm or in more intense situations such as tonight, you will attempt suicide.”

            “Oh my god!” Kyle stands up and is shocked about what Dr. Kanes just told him about himself that he was completely unaware about. “Everything makes sense now,” Kyle covers his face with his hands with disbelief.

            “It is more than likely connected to a mental disease,” Dr. Kanes explains. “And since you never been tested or diagnosed you had no idea what was happening.”

             “Okay,” Kyle nods once again.

            “That is all the information I have at the moment. Kyle you are going to come with me and we will get you situated into a room for the night, then sometime in the morning we will get in the psychological examination going and the results should be back in the early afternoon.”

            “When do I go to the health clinic?”

            “Once we get back the results I am going to talk to the administrator and they are going to get a room ready for you and set up medication and a schedule.”

            “Okay,” Kyle says.

            “When can we visit him?” Heather asks.

            “Visitation hours are from 4-6 PM each day.”

            “Okay.”

            “Alright, any more questions guys?”

            “Just one,” Kyle blurts out.

            “Yes?”

            “How long will I be in there for?”

            “Well that all depends on how well you do. If you listen, cooperate, and do everything you have to do you will reevaluate you in two weeks.”

            “Okay,” Dr. Kanes says as he starts to stand up.

            “Thank you very much for helping us, Dr. Kanes.” Tim tells him.

            “You guys are most welcome. Let me know if anything comes up, or if there is anything I can do to help.”

            “Will do.” Dr. Kanes opens the door for Heather and Tim exit first. Kyle goes after and then he follows behind Kyle laying his hand on his shoulder. Kyle finches and jumps.

            “I’m sorry, Kyle.” Kyle breathes and realizes he’s safe.

            “It’s okay, Dr. Kanes. That’s was just where I was grabbed before I was sexual assaulted.”

            “Oh, okay. I understand.” Kyle gives his Mom and Dad a tight squeezing hug.

            “I love you honey. Take care and I’ll see you tomorrow,” Heather tells him.

            “I love you guys too,” he says it back. They head to the exit and leave. Kyle follows Dr. Kanes to the part of the hospital that keeps patients for one night. The room is in the middle of his section so the nurse’s station is right across from him.

            “Alright Kyle, here is some clothes,” he hands Kyle some hospital nightgowns and tells him to go get changed. There is a bathroom in his room for convenience. Kyle turns on the bright light and goes in. When the door is almost shut, but just a little bit ajar still, he overhears Dr. Kanes talking to a nurse outside his room.

            “I hope this works because at the moment he is a lost case.”



© 2015 John Duprey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on May 24, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015
Tags: mental health, decisions, talking, doctors, parents, mental hospital

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey