Unimaginable Pain- Chapter 20- February 10th- 4:30 PM

Unimaginable Pain- Chapter 20- February 10th- 4:30 PM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

Kyle needs a breather after a big altercation with one of Brad's nurses, so his mom suggests that they go back to see Brad.

"

      My mom ran towards me.      

            “Kyle!” I kept on walking. “Kyle! Stop walking away right now!” I never stopped. I exited the ICU without saying a word to her. About halfway down the hallway, she got in front of me. She grabbed me.

            “Kyle! Stop!” I stop. I was breathing heavily. What did I just do? F**k me. I just probably screwed up everything, again!

            “That b***h!” I cried. I started crying realizing that I’m probably never going to see my brother again.

            “It’s okay, but that was very inappropriate to do,” she tells me.

            “No, it is not, I just screwed up everything!” I wail.

            “You need to calm down. We will go back into the waiting room so you can calm down, okay?”

            “I don’t feel like going back into there.” That was a lie. I did, but I feel f*****g stupid for what I did, but in a way she did deserved it.

            “Do you want to go Dr. Kanes to see if it will be alright if we went home for a little bit, and came back?”

            “I just feel bad leaving Brad,” I tell her.

            “I know, I do too, but I think it is best that everything calms down for a bit, and we come back later tonight or tomorrow.” I nodded my head in agreement.

            We walked around the hospital, it felt like agonizing hours trying to find Dr. Kanes. We’ve checked at the informational desk, and they told us that he was on his lunch break at this time, and was not to be disturbed.

            “Maybe, he is in Brad’s room?” I suggest to my mom.

            “Possibly,” she said. We headed back to the ICU. As we slowly walked down the same hallway where I yelled at that nurse, I felt remorse for what I did, but I was too chicken to go and apologize. I caught her glance as she exited one of the patient’s rooms. I almost ran into her. It didn’t help that Brad’s room was the same room where I was kept, but it was almost at the end of the hallway. I felt like I was going to get into trouble because I yelled at that nurse. I walked past this one nurse, whom I’m never seen before in my life, and she gave me a strange death glance. She must be friends with the nurse that I yelled at and wondered why I was in the ICU again.  I feel like I was going to get tackled by a security guard or someone with some authority. There is a sense of panic in the ICU hallway. Everyone is rushing around trying to get somewhere, and getting supplies.

            We continue down the hallway and as we reach closer to Brad’s room, the sense of panic got more congested.

            “What’s going on?” I ask my mom.

            “I’m not sure,” she tells me. We approach Brad’s door, and peek inside. The horror of our discovery astonishes us. My dad is sitting next to Brad’s bedside, holding Brad’s hand.

            “Honey?” My dad looks up. He quickly jumps out of his chair with tears in his eyes. “What’s going on?” She continues.

            “Honey. Kyle. Um…” He hesitated. I walked right past them in a slow walk, barely brushing my feet on my floor. I stopped two feet from Brad’s bedside. The monitors are shut off. All his vitals are off. The ventilator is no longer there. Brad is just lying there, dead. He’s gone. Tears begin to flood my eyes.



© 2015 John Duprey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on May 20, 2015
Last Updated on May 20, 2015

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey