Silence is Broken- Chapter 13- February 2nd, 10 AM

Silence is Broken- Chapter 13- February 2nd, 10 AM

A Chapter by John Duprey
"

Kyle realizes that his attempt of suicide has failed and he has given his family quite the scare. Now, he has the big task of opening up to his family.

"

            A few hours of silence go by. Everyone leaves and comes back at times. At one moment while my Dad is still in the room, the doctor comes into my room.

“May I have a few moments with Kyle alone, so I can talk to him Mr. Jenson?” The doctor asks my Dad.

            “Of course.” My Dad tells while shaking his hand and leaving the room.

            This should be interesting I think to myself.

            “Hi Kyle. My name is Dr. Kanes, I have been taking care of you ever since you’ve been here.” I lie there in silence and just listen to him. “I know this been very hard for you and your family.” More than you can imagine I think to myself.

            “You cut yourself very deep when you tried to commit suicide. We almost lost you many times, but you’ve been a fighter through the whole ordeal. If everything goes to plan you should be out the hospital in two days. You’re stable enough to be out of here. You will still have a bandage on your wrist that you cut. That is going to be there for a few more weeks until it is fully healed. You will have a scar there. For a precaution we are putting you into the Hill City Mental Health Clinic for a week under potential suicide warning.”

            All this information is processing too quickly. But no way in hell am I going to that stupid f*****g health clinic. I think I have learned my lesson, but I guess it does make sense because I am willing to do it all over again. “Any questions?” Dr. Kanes asks me.

            “No sir,” I say very softly.

            “Good. I will be checking up on you periodically to see how you are doing.” I shake his hand very lightly. I feel so weak. He leaves the room. In a way, I regret what I did, but I had no choice. Maybe, this will bring attention to the fact that something was indeed wrong with me. Maybe, the people who have caused me so much pain get trouble for this.  That would be justice.

            I lie there in my room for a few minutes before my Mom comes in. She sits down in the chair to my bed on the right side of me. I can tell she is ashamed of me, but I can feel she is intrigued to find out what caused me to do to myself. I look at her, deeply into her brown eyes. She has a tear in her eye.

            “I’m sorry!” I tell her. She breaks down and hugs me while crying. I hug her tightly. I embrace her as like I’ve never seen her before.

            “Why didn’t you tell me that something was wrong?” She asks me while wiping away tears from her face and eyes. I think it’s time to fess up what has been bottled inside me for three months now.

            “I was scared,” I tell her.

            “Scared of what? You never talked to me, I had no idea.”

            “I think I need to tell you what has been happening.” I softly tell her. I sigh. Take a deep breath in and start talking. “I never stopped being depressed. I hid it from you for the past year. I faked a smile all this time because I didn’t want to deal with it.” I breathe even more because I know what I’m about to tell her is going to shock her.

            “The first day of working at that market was not how I expected it go at all.” I flick a little talking and notice a tear rolling down my face.

            “What happened honey?”

            “I quit not because I didn’t like it there.”

            “What was it then?” She asks very questioningly.

            “I was raped that night,” I tell her while looking away.

            “What? What do you mean? How?” She seems confused and angry. I sigh again and start telling what happened. It feels like this is longest moment in my life telling her this. “When I was doing carts at the end of my shift, this man handed me his cart.” I started choking up as I was talking. “He grabbed my shirt and threw in the back of his van. He tied my hands together. He took my pants off then slipped my underwear off of me.” I began crying, telling the rest. “He started stroking me!” I say loudly. I sob and just can’t take it anymore. All the memories and hardship is coming back to me. I want to die again.

My Mom comforts me for a couple of minutes then starts talking again.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

            “I was afraid because he threatened me. He told me that he would kill my family if I told anyone.”

            “We will find out who did this.” She tells me. “Did you know what he looked like or what the van looked like?”

            “He had a beard, maybe mid-40s, slim, and he drove a white van with Idaho license plates. That’s all I remember.” I let her that the man had brown hair as well.

            “I’m sorry that you had to go through all of this. No wonder why you tried to end your life.”

            “I’m not done yet.” I tell her.   “For the next two months I was a constant cutter and I got bullying a lot more for some reason. Someone hacked my Facebook account and wrote a bunch of mean and horrible things on there. They even wrote on Jamie’s wall saying some nasty things to him that I would never say to him, and now he is mad at me.” I weep.

            “I never saw these posts by you.”

            “Whoever the hacker was"they probably set the statuses up so you, or any other family members couldn’t see them.

            “Oh, well that makes sense. Anyways, Jamie actually visited you about a week ago when you were still in the coma.”

            “He did?” I say surprisingly.

            “He thought it was his fault that you tried to commit suicide.”

            “No, not at all. I do have a feeling of who it is though.”

            “Who?”

            “This bully, Jake. He has always bullied me throughout school. He has beat me up and everything. I think his girlfriend, Diane is the one writing the horrible things on my Facebook profile. I’m almost positive they are behind this.”

            “I am going to call the authorities and the police so they can handle all of this.”

            “Thanks Mom.” I smile. “I should have told you sooner instead of going down this route.”

            I think of another question to ask her, but I don’t know if it would work or not, but I guess it is worth a shot.

            “Can you do me a favor?” I ask her.

            “What is it?”

            “Can I not go to the health clinic?”

            “Umm...” She thinks for a moment, then answers. “That wouldn’t be up to me honey. That would be up to the doctors and if the doctors think it’s the best thing to do right now then, we have to listen to them” She tells me.

            She knows I am desperate and want to get out of here, but I’d rather not go to the health clinic.

           

            A few hours go by, and one of the nurses come in and check on me. She tells me she needs to empty my bedpan. When she grabs the bedpan from underneath me, I flinch.

            “It’s okay, it’s okay, I’m not going to hurt you.” She tells me. I breathe. It’s okay I tell myself. I guess I’m more afraid of being raped again. Maybe the health clinic is the way to go.



© 2015 John Duprey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The health clinic seems like the viable option. If he doesn't go, he risks going through it all again. I think Kyle should go. I'm also glad he told his mom that he was raped because they need to know that. They'll catch him eventually, right?

Posted 8 Years Ago


He needs to go to the health clinic. Just sayin'

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 19, 2015
Last Updated on May 20, 2015

The First Day


Author

John Duprey
John Duprey

Northfield , VT



About
John Duprey, that is my name. I reside in Vermont and I'm currently working on my first novel, The First Day. I'm a Vermont portrait and landscape photographer. I'm 19 years old and my interests vary .. more..

Writing
Gas Gas

A Poem by John Duprey