20) Proposal

20) Proposal

A Chapter by Kelly M.

The next morning, Kanika appeared with a beam on her face, and a shine in her eyes.
"You look as bright as the sun today!" April exclaimed.  "May I ask why?" 
Kanika couldn't help but give April a hug.
"Remember when we cleaned up the graveyard, and I left for home afterwards?"
April nodded, a puzzled expression on her face.
"Well, on my way there, I ran into Karter.  He-- he asked me to an outdoors dance.  I said yes."
April gasped.
"Will asked me, too!"
"He did?"  She squealed with delight.  "Then we can go together!"
~*~
Friday night came quicker than either had imagined, and they were both busy preparing for the anticipated arrival of both men.
They did each other's hair in a simple, but pretty fashion.  April's wavy tresses were hung loose over her shoulders, and Kanika's was pulled up, but she left little strands of hair curl about her face.
Their dresses were also simple, but very appealing.  April had a light floral blue gown that went to her ankles, and elbow length sleeves.  It brightened up her sparkling blue eyes.
Kanika's dress was given to her by her mother when she was young.  It was a cherry red, and was the same length as April's.  The color was a perfect shade on her.
"You both look lovely," April's mother exclaimed with admiration.  "And so grown up."
"Thank you," they both murmured, glancing down at the beautiful gowns.
It was not long till the clock struck six, and two dashing young men appeared at their front door.
"Ladies," they both greeted, offering their arms for assistance.
April and Kanika exchanged glances, and smiled with girlish fun.
They walked to the dance under a canopy of the brightest stars.  It was like an unbelievable fairy tale.
"It's a beautiful night, isn't it?" April whispered.
Will nodded.  "You match it tonight."
April blushed.
"Thank you," she mumbled.
She was relieved when she realized they had arrived.  She didn't wish to walk on in an awkward silence.
Her prepared speech was soon forgotten once she was lifted into the strong, loving arms of Will.  They floated across the "dance floor" as though in a magical dream.  April closed her eyes, only thinking of this moment.  It seemed like hours until the music finally stopped.
April looked up at Will, and saw a sparkle in his eyes.
"I think I'm falling in love with the prettiest girl around," he whispered.
Then before she knew what was happing, he leaned forward to kiss her.  April pulled away, her mind racing.  This isn't supposed to happen-- at least not this fast.

And before she could stop herself, she started to run.  She didn't know where, and she didn't know why, but she had to get away.

"April!" he called.  "April, wait!"

But she didn't wait.  She just kept running.  When she found herself sitting on the mossy riverbank, she asked herself why she had acted like such a child-- running away like that.  Like lightning, the answer came.  Because you love Drew, a voice inside her whispered.  Haven't you always loved him?

"April," a voice whispered behind her, interrupting her thoughts.  She jumped, and without looking she knew who it was.

Will.

He sat down next to her, and didn't whisper a word.  Then it happened.  Everything she couldn't imagine him to say, he said.

"April Thompson, I don't know what you think of me, but I love you.  I-- I've never loved someone so much before.  I know it seems fast-- too fast, but we have the rest of our lives to-- to know each other better, and--"

April jerked her head around to meet his gaze.  

"What are you saying?" she asked in more than a whisper.

He took a deep breath, and looked directly into her eyes.

"I'm asking you to be my wife."

And then he reached into his pocket, and pulled out a blue studded ring.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
OMW. Did you see THAT coming?!

As to ease your conscience somewhat, I'll let you know that back then some girls married at fifteen through seventeen, so, yes, it was normal.

Any ideas on what her answer will be?!

I really enjoyed writing this chapter! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! :)

*Honest, detailed reviews please!* :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ok well first we have heard diffrent things about Marriage in those days. i heard the age to Marry was older however i dont know if there was a law about being allowed to Marry withh parental consent. in all honesty i did see that coming but not immidiatly after she ran away i expected more dialog before he asked. but no need to add more i like it i think because of the chapter title its expected but it comes when we dont expect it so we still get a surprise!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh My,
like, I can't believe he asked that. Of course her answer is no. She doesn't love him, I hope its a no!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


OH
MY
GAWD
I think I just fainted. Seriously. Is he insane? they're sixteen! It's like the Secret Life of the American Teenager. Only, Ben was insane. Is Will insane, I wonder? This is their first date, isn't it? *sees stars* I think her answer will be no, if she has any sense left in her body. GOING ON TO THE NEXT CHAPTER BECAUSE I WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


...? Is he crazy? That is waaaaay to soon! I mean he has the rest of his life ahead of him, and April is only 16! 16 for God's sake! But I guess this takes place a while ago... And Im not critizisim your writing or you, im critizing Will...There is a difference XD

Posted 12 Years Ago


All I can say is... WOW! I can't believe he proposed so quickly... they barely know each other! I hope she doesn't say yes, because she belongs with Drew!

Great cliffhanger at the end with this chapter! Can't wait for the next!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Thats what her answer should be! Her and Drew belong together!!! Hurry up and write more so I can read it!!! I hate it when authors leave it in a cliffhanger and make me wait to see what happens next. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Whoa, WHAT? Omg this books is so good!!! You're developing the story so well! Can't wait to read more!!!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

590 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2011
Last Updated on March 3, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.