Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

        Daniel swiped something and the doors slid open. The elevator seemed well taken care of, it had no dust at all. As Kara stood inside with Frank and Daniel on either side of her she felt like a criminal being led to jail, the handcuffs didn’t help much. In a normal situation, she would speak up to break the awkward silence but at that moment she thought it best not to. She looked at the elevator buttons and saw that there was only one, which was different. Why did this house have an elevator? Why is there only one button? Kara wondered, and how far down are we going? Too many questions. Her wrists began to ache. Kara knew a way to get out of handcuffs but if Frank or Daniel saw her trying she would be in trouble. Minutes were ticking by until the elevator doors finally slid open.

            Standing right in front of the elevator stood the director, at least Kara guessed it to be. He was fidgeting as if he were impatient; his hair was wet with sweat, and his eyes kept looking her up and down over and over again. The director nodded and Frank and Daniel started to lead her somewhere. They stepped in front of a door and swung it open so that she had no choice but to go inside. They left her in the room by herself. The room was empty, meaning that it had nothing in it, not even a chair was in there. Kara breathed out a long sigh and looked around to make sure that there weren’t any security cameras, to her relief there wasn’t any. Great! They must have thought that there was no need for them in this room, Kara laughed, and soon they would have to rethink that.

            She began to try get out of the handcuffs. Kara needed her hands in front of her though so she tried to step over her arms. It wasn’t very east considering her arms weren’t very long and her wrists wouldn’t budge to give her an inch of room. She thought that she could feel her wrists bleeding because something wet was trickling down them. Kara gave a silent cheer when she got her hands in front of her. Her wrists were bleeding. She kicked the cuffs once and they opened up a notch, she kicked them again but they wouldn’t open up any bigger. Kara began to writhe her hands but they refused to fit through the small opening. She tried over and over until her wrists were too sore and her blood seemed to cover them. Her eyes scanned the room for something that would be able to pick the lock.

            “Oh, thank you, Mom!” Kara exclaimed when she remembered that her mom had done her hair that morning to make her look “pretty” as she said. By now that seemed ages ago. She brought her hands up to her hair and found the pin that held it all together. Her bright red hair fell in front of her face and she blew it away. The pin was awkwardly held downwards between her forefinger and thumb. She moved the pin left and right in the small hole but the cuffs didn’t release her. Her face was filled with determination, her tongue was showing as she bit it between her teeth. The pin slipped from her fingers and she rushed to pick it back up. On her second try the lock came undone and her wrists started to feel a slight relief. Kara shook her head and smiled, all along it was that easy. She rubbed her wrists and scanned the room again. All she could see was white wall and flooring but then she just barely made out a rather large air vent that was near the corner of the room on the wall that was also painted white. Kara smiled and pushed herself up, for once her climbing skill would come in handy. She applied an equal pressure to each hand and foot on the wall and moved quickly because otherwise she would fall on her back. It wasn’t a long ways up the wall to the air vent but it was far enough that she couldn’t jump to it. Her foot slipped but she slowly regained her posture. Kara would not allow herself to fall, she needed to escape.

            Once she got to the vent she pulled at it but nothing happened. If Kara wanted in she would need to undo the screws so she picked at two screws with her fingernails until they were loose. Then she pulled and pulled and with each pull the other two screws released a little. On the last pull, the vent plate fell to the floor with a loud crash that made her ears ring. Kara hoped and prayed that nobody heard as she pulled herself into the narrow duct.



© 2011 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
What do you think? Hope you liked it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on July 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.