Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

     Hidden in a secret location an organization called the CIA was working hard. They had received news about a couple of men that had bombs, unique bombs. The director wanted more agents, but what he really needed was kid agents. His older agents were always easily spotted but he suspected that a kid could go anywhere without being really noticed and they could blend in. The director had begun looking for a new agent weeks ago. He spent every hour of every day looking for someone he thought would be perfect but there was a whole world of kids so it would be stupid to think that the perfect one would show up within the first couple seconds. In the CIA, agents were training. Some worked with technology, like hacking into other computer systems, or doing combat.  None of the agents within the CIA had had a mission in weeks, some of them, years. Of course, only a few agents knew what he was doing and what was going on. The new agent, the director thought, has to be brave. The new agent has to be smart… But, really, the new agent has to be able to fight. His mission might sound easy, looking for a new agent, but, actually, it can be hard work. The director had dark brown hair, brown eyes, stocky, and was middle aged.

            Screens all around him showed pictures of boys and girls of all ages, shapes, and sizes. The director wanted one boy and one girl but for now he would only choose a girl. His eyebrows were drawn closely together and his lips were pressed tight as he began to have doubts. A girl? The director had never heard of a brave girl before. Girls acted too, well, girly with all their pink clothes and jewelry. He figured that he was hiring a girl first because she would be harder to train but soon he would see that he was wrong. Picture after picture. Description after description. He wanted to give up but he knew that the right person could always be on the next slide.

            “Sir, have you chosen yet?” an agent that had short black hair and sea green eyes entered the room. He knew what the director was planning because he was one of the directors most trusted agents and he was suppose to help train, along with two others, whoever the director chose.

            “No, too many kids. Ugh. Should we really have a kid do this job? I mean, they would be in danger and could die. If the kid has parents what would we tell them?”

            “We went over this before… Kids are least susceptible for us… the CIA to have.”

            “True… But it doesn’t seem right. We would be taking the kid from its family.” The agent beside the director said nothing. Pictures along with the kid’s descriptions still flickered on one by one. The director saw many agents that would probably work well with the agency but he was looking for someone…. different. The agent began to head for the door without waiting for a dismissal but the director’s voice stopped him in his tracks.

            “Ben, I am not making a mistake, am I?”

            “No, sir, I can promise you that.”

            The next day the director was still staring at the screens. He had stayed up all night drinking coffee to keep himself awake while he looked for the new agent. His eyes began to droop and turn red. Patience, he had told himself many times but another side of him was telling him that the world was in trouble and here he was sitting on his butt waiting for some perfect kid agent. Being part of the CIA gave him the right to every picture in the world so every now and then he would see pictures of boys playing baseball and girls talking with their friends but nobody seemed to fit the description that he wanted for an agent. A full picture of a blonde came up. The director saw nothing useful in her description. Plays trombone, five foot three inches, very active, blah, blah. He began to feel an urgency to quit again but then he saw it. He saw the girl he had been looking for this whole time.

            “Stop! Go a few slides back!” he yelled.

            The picture arrived back on the screen. She was what he wanted. Her name was Kara. She had long, wavy red hair, clear blue eyes, and she was fourteen years old, the perfect age. The director studied her for a long time without a word. He had finally found her, he couldn’t believe it. The director wanted to jump for joy but he didn’t want to make a fool of himself because after all, he is the director. A huge grin spread across his face as he breathed out a sigh of relief. He had a good feeling about this girl, a feeling that he would never be able to explain.

            “Sir, is this the girl you want?” an agent by the name Daniel came in. He, too, was going to be training the new agent.

            “Yes, she is just what I was looking for,” the director continued to smile as he called a meeting for all of his agents to attend.

            Usually, only a few agents were allowed to come to a meeting with the director but this time he wanted all the agents. Lately, it was even rare that the director called a meeting and he never really showed his face because he was always so secretive. He walked to the Conference room but took the back entrance which was through his office. Everyone was gathered at a long table when he entered. All of the agents stared at his stern face as they waited for him to speak.

            “I called you all here to tell you some good news. I have found a new agent and I have chosen two people to fly to California to go get her.”

            “You mean, it’s a she?” an agent asked. It was a rare that they ever hired women let alone young girls.

            “Yes, her name is Kara.”

            “Sir, how old is she?” another agent asked from across the table.

            The director hesitated before answering, “….fourteen.”

            “What?! You are going to put a fourteen year old in danger?! Sir, you must reconsider!”

            “I was thinking the same thing not too long ago. Then, I was reminded that teens can go anywhere without rising suspicion. No one would expect us… the CIA to ever hire a kid. This is a picture I just printed of her.”

            “Are you going to send her on a mission?” a beginning agent asked.

            “Yes, I will.”

            “Why don’t you send any of us? We have more experience.”

            “She will be our new agent and I will send her on a mission. Do you understand?” The director’s face expressed his anger before he even spoke. The agent nodded solemnly.

            “You want us to go get this girl?” one of the women agents asked.

            “No, only two. Frank, Daniel, you guys will bring her here.”

            “Exactly how do we do that? Doesn’t this girl have parents?” Frank asked.

            “Yes, she does but I am sure that you will figure something out. Meeting dismissed.” That was it. End of meeting. The director got the two men tickets to California and went to his office before Frank and Daniel could look at their tickets. They had only an hour and a half before their plane would leave. They had no time to argue with the director, so they left immediately.



© 2011 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
So far, what do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[first impression] the storyline is well developed so far and really works in your favor as a writer. This prologue invites the reader and keeps consistent attention, which is usually difficult for a first-time writer to pull off --nice job. To spice up your characters, and make them memorable, which is key to publishing, consider having a friend read this to you as you take notes on what sounds vague or sounds like a passive voice. Keep going.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[first impression] the storyline is well developed so far and really works in your favor as a writer. This prologue invites the reader and keeps consistent attention, which is usually difficult for a first-time writer to pull off --nice job. To spice up your characters, and make them memorable, which is key to publishing, consider having a friend read this to you as you take notes on what sounds vague or sounds like a passive voice. Keep going.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like it a lot so far

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sounds interesting. I think you should go on.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

364 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2011
Last Updated on June 30, 2011


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Warrior The Warrior

A Story by BrynnaW.


An Archer An Archer

A Story by BrynnaW.