Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

           Kara stood on top of the elevator and kicked the trap door closed. There wasn’t a ladder that would help her continue her escape so the people that would have come out of the burning elevator would find themselves at a dead end. She looked around at all of the pipes and few wires. She was running out of time, soon the elevator would reach the bottom. All of her courage would have to be put to a test. Kara never climbed anything as tall as this without a rope connected from her waist to the top for her safety. She leaped onto the pipe and slowly began to climb. The pipe started getting slippery and she thought that she was about to fall but her instincts told her to jump to another pipe. Kara glanced down and saw that the elevator was slowing down which meant that it was almost at the bottom and when it did they would discover that she wasn’t in it. Right hand, right foot, left hand, left foot. It was repeated over and over in her mind to distract her from thinking of anything else. She climbed and climbed and when one pipe ended she would jump to another.

            Her wrists began to sting as she climbed, especially where the bullet skimmed it. Blood was all over her hands and sleeves. Kara jumped to another pipe, a bad pipe. Just saying that it was hot would be putting it mildly so you could say that it was scalding hot and it burned her hands but she did not let go. Some of the steam escaped the pipe, poured out onto her face, and she began to sweat as if she was in the desert. Kara jumped to another pipe, climbed a little, and looked up to see the doors right above her. There was no time fore even a victory smile because the elevator below her began to come up, fast. Kara couldn’t pry the steel doors open and looked around desperately until she found a little red button. So, there’s a trap door, a button, but no ladder! She pressed the button and the doors released. Maybe, it’s for if the second set of doors don’t open you press the button and then  you can get out. Kara easily slid the doors open and climbed through. Then she had to open up the regular door, she was finally in the house. She didn’t see anybody and it looked safe enough. She peered outside through a window expecting to see Frank or Daniel but there was no one there, not a soul in sight.

    

          Ben stood beside the elevator, stunned to see that when the elevator reached him no one was there. He stepped inside and decided to ride the elevator up as fast as it could go. He hoped he wouldn’t be too late and that he would be the one to catch her.

            “Sir, this is Ben.”

            “What is it? Did you get her?” the director asked, stopping as he neared the top of the stairs. His breathing was hard because he was tired and out of breath.

            “No, somehow she escaped the elevator. I am riding the elevator up so I hope it won’t take too terribly long.”

            “I am near the top. There is no way you will be able to reach the house in time……. At least, not at that speed.”

            “Actually, I might get there at the second. I tripled the speed and I am already half way up.”

            “Frank, Daniel, and I have made it to the top.”

            “I will be there in less than a minute.” Ben hung up and waited. A minute felt like ten to him when he waited because he was impatient. Ben hadn’t seen action this good in a long time and he wasn’t going to miss it.

            The director was out of breath. He was bent over with his hands on his knees but there was no time to rest. They were behind the house and they couldn’t see the girl anywhere. His eyebrows were drawn closely together. Did she beat them?


© 2011 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
Hope you are enjoying this!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on July 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.