Show Time  Part 2

Show Time Part 2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 171-1

Show Time

Part 2

 


I had always been a good dancer, more so because of the Downing’s. Ma and Pa made sure we could out dance anyone on the dance floor. So dancing was one thing I liked to do because it always brought a smile on the girl’s faces when I took her by the hand and entered into a Cinderella state that all girls fantasize when they picture dancing with a prince. Like everything else, I had given up the idea of ever dancing with a girl or wanting to feel their heart beating and the warm breath as we sometimes kiss. Or the simple fact of holding her hand in my hand as we twirled on the dance floor.


To be honest the last dance I had ever been too was my senior prom. I had lost interest in dancing with anyone when I was forced to live with my mother. Yet I would only do so with my friends and Rothwell family, I am not ready to relive that memory. There are things that must be said first before we address that; so many things that happened and must happen before I can revisit that memory and the reasons why I made that choice even though it was the wrong choice. To break all my ties with the world I had fallen in love with and the people in it.


Mom and I glided across the floor, she giggled like a school girl as I danced like Fred Aster. She knew I could dance, we had dance many times before, and so have my Rothwell sisters. It took everything I had to remain on my feet before the weakness took hold as she held me up placing my arms around me as one of the girls brought me, my dreaded wheelchair friend, hoping they too would get a chance to dance as I had with Mom in the living room.


Listening to them clap and sigh with amazement learning something new about me that they didn’t know. Watching Mr. and Mrs. Rockwater come into the house after taking the time to cool off, we simply gave them a nod as we dance. No one said anything that would happen it was simply stated that it wasn’t going to be the end of it.


I didn’t apologize for my tiredness as I took deep controlled breathes as I coughed slightly and guzzling down a glass of water. The dance teacher smiled as she clapped her hands. “Well then, it looks like I won’t need to address the basics in your case young man.”


I smiled and said. “Thanks, but I assume it is different from wheelchair then it is using my feet?”


She shook her head and said. “No, it’s not all that different at all. Instead of using your feet or legs you will glide as if you were on the same air, like this.” She had brought in one of her students that were in a chair.


I felt guilty because I was using mine as a prop then actually living in one for the rest of my life. Everyone cleared the dance floor as the music began to play with a nod of her head. They danced as she did most of the work as the person glided as they were strapped down preventing them from being pulled out of the chair. Only using their hands to turn as the other one leads them across the floor, it was beautiful in its simplicity. It looked easy, but I knew it would be anything but and it wasn’t when it was our turn to give it a try. I cursed not being able to do the simplest thing as to turn without looking down where I placed my hands.


It seemed so simple when watching; after nearly giving up after the hundredth try nearly running over her feet. Dad soon came back into the room, his hair wet and wearing a clean shirt and pants and smelling of aftershave, asking Mom if he missed anything. Mom said. “No, not all, just our little tiger showing his mermaids that he could dance like Fred Aster and making them all swoon.”


Dad kissed her and said. “I guess that was before he was placed in the wheelchair.” Mom and I had to agree, I was really, really having a hard time of it as I apologized for running over the teachers foot again. She told me that I was doing fine. Somehow I didn’t think I was doing just “fine” at all having to keep my eyes more on my hands on the wheels then looking at her in the eye. Then it became even more impossible as she blindfolds me. It nearly put me into storm class episode; I didn’t like being blindfolded anymore, not after what Gloria put me through.


It took everything I had and then some before I calmed down enough, but I couldn’t handle it as I ripped the blindfold off my face and yelled. “No Gloria never again!” It surprised everyone as I screamed trying to get out of the wheelchair, but unable too free myself causing me to panic even more until Mom helped, but she wasn’t fast enough as my panic consumed me; turning me into a wild animal as I clawed at the buckles and straps until I was free.


Standing only to fall to the floor and crawl, yelling. “Gloria get away from me, somebody help me she going to kill me!” Mom quickly took me in her arms as she held me as we sat on the floor. Letting me cry against her shoulder as the episode fades away. I don’t know how long I sat on the floor with Mom as everyone looked at me.


I quickly apologized having the teacher say. “No apology needed, well just try something else.”


I said. “Practice with Jared I need a moment or two.” Mom helped me up and helped me over to the couch. I tried to apologize to her, but she shushed me telling me if it wasn’t for them I would have never been put in that position in the first place. I still felt bad because I couldn’t control my fears. Yet it did give us an idea of how to handle it.


Mom quickly ran down the hall and came back with an eye patch, telling me. “Let’s play pirates, and you are running away with the King's mistress.” I wasn’t going to be wearing my glasses anyway as part of my disguise, so being blind in one eye weren’t going to be a problem when I was being confined to a wheelchair. Stringum liked the idea so much he was ordering eye patches by the dozen and placed the one Mom made me on my head made of plaster adding it to my disguise; stating people will think twice once they see me wearing an eye patch and think that I could have been wearing it all along; considering they had only met me once and it was only for a few minutes.


I looked worst then Frankenstein in my opinion, blond hair and one blue eye and covered with burn scars that had healed, leaving my face looking like old shoe leather. Compared to Dads gray hair and the dishwater blond hair Mom would be using, as well as Jody when she comes back from her two-day lover’s weekend. Jared to would be the same color as mine.


While my two younger brothers will remain out of sight as well as Arthur and Shawn, to make it look like Jared and I as well as Jody were the only ones in the family, while the posters had a picture of all of us; taken from our home when they vandalized it the last time. Even my Highland friends won’t be going to the party without some sort of disguise or not all. In case they are looking for them as well. The only ones that no one would recognize are our mermaids and their families. The only pictures I had of them been hidden away safely in Stringum’s safe at his store.


Mom placed the eye patch on me having me pick my weakest eye so I could use the other one to see what I was doing and blind enough to where I had no choice but to look at the teacher rather my hands. It still wasn’t easy, but it was doable and would become easier as I practiced with the other girls in the room as the teacher showed them all they had to do was help me glide and give me hand cues when we needed to turn. It wasn’t anywhere near perfect, but it would be by the time Wednesday came, I would work extra hard to make it so.


I had to admit dancing naked would have been easier than this. Well maybe? The teacher told me she spends two hours each day until the big event and Stringum invited her and her guest to the party said. “I rather not dance with anyone but you or the deal is off.” He agreed and stated he rather she didn’t dance with people that make his skin crawl.


The girls and their mothers had a fitting to go too and I cringed thinking how expensive the costs of their dresses were going to be. Knowing Stringum had arranged all their gowns tailored. Just by the sound of it said they would be expensive, more expensive than our tuxes with very little time to do them before the big event. It didn’t matter that Mom and they tried to refuse to be paraded around like queens. Stringum and Mr. Vincent insisted on it. Stating we are to show off our wealth so the mouse will take the cheese.


I question if the cheese he was setting out was made of gold, finding out that each dress or ball gown went for 2,000 dollars easily. Mr. and Mrs. Rockwater apologized to me and my friends, for the earlier outbursts, however, they did not apologize to my adoptive parents, nor were they going to apologize to Shawn and Arthur. Least not right away, and never to Shawn and Arthur; that it in itself stated they did not agree on eye to eye on the matter of the shaming ritual when or how it was conducted.


They may not have at the time believed in killing children, something the way Mr. Rocker said it said those views had changed. Again I knew that Gloria was at the forefront of that change, knowing what she has done to me, and other boys like me that have had nothing to do with what Shawn and Arthur were doing.


Sunday was going to be a big day, and we soon understood why when a package arrived at the door with Dads fake name attached and a little card that read.


To Mr. Mrs. Carrion


I am pleased to invite you and your family as well as your guests that may be staying with you to the True Church of God where you will find true enlightenment. Inside the box you will find robes, we have taken the liberty of getting your measurements from our local tailor. We as a congregation feel that every individual should not stand out, but be of the same mind and spirit, unlike other faiths that prides itself on individuality instead of worldly distractions on the Sabbath. Please wear these with pride. If you need more please feel free to call our home tailor and in God Mormo it will be done, may he bless you.


Sincerity Bishop Ken Dearborn

&

Our Most Holy of Holy

Prophet C. Crawford.


Ps. Church starts at 10 am

1025 Jackson Street

           
Inside the box were 13 black hooded robes lined with two long strips of dark red that looked like blood and leather sandals, plus two large quilts the same color of red as the strip that went from the collar all the way down to the bottom of the robe on both sides. The gold color on the quilts was the only thing that set everything off from the rest as if it was making its own statement. It didn’t take a genius to know the quilts were for Jared and me and finding a robe as well as a pair of slippers and black socks, plus a brand new bible for each of us.


Just the feel of the fabric made my skin crawl and I could see Mom questioning if this was such a good idea. Yet Dad had already made up his mind that we were all going, Including the Vincent’s, Hanks family and of course Stringum. We only needed 10 additional robes. Considering Dr. Sars and her two daughters were coming as well as my 6 mermaid friends. Everyone else was going to LDS ward including my two younger brothers Jason and Jonathon as they quickly become part of the Rockwater’s family. After all, it’s just church, so we thought.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on May 25, 2019
Last Updated on February 11, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep