Angel On My Shoulder  Part 1

Angel On My Shoulder Part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 174

Angel On My Shoulder

Part 1


Have always wondered what it would be like to have an angel on your shoulder. Everyone has seen the Tom and Jerry cartoon where the devil is on one side and the angel was on the other trying to get the cat to do what they want.


It was also represented in All Dogs Go to Heaven and also in a Disney Donald Duck cartoon. Jeff in a sense was my angel on my shoulder good or bad, he represented both depending on the situation.


Yet today he was on a culvert mission as he rudely woke me up, 30 minutes before Mom and Dad were coming in to kiss us goodbye. Yet finding me dressed and ready to go sitting on the couch in our suite. Waiting for them, to say they were a little taken back by it, it said so by the look on their faces.


Before they could react I said. “Jeff said I needed to go with you,” I cringed when I said it, hearing Dad react asking if he expects danger if I stay here. I cringed and shook my head said. “No, but he telling me that we will need him today, and the only way as you know I am the only one that can communicate with him…” I paused as I looked towards Jeff and asked. “Are sure you want me to tell them that?” Not quite awake to realize I said that out loud.


Dad said. “Tell us what son?”


I cringed, “other than Jared.”


Mom gasped and it took Dad a moment to register what I just said. Dad asked. “Are telling us that Jared has…?” He couldn’t quite find the words, so


I said. “Too a certain extent, yes.”


Mom said. “Ok, when did this happen? And why are you telling us about it now?”


I said. “Not as long as you think.”


Dad said. “Go on,” taking the chair next too me having Mom take the other as they put on their shoes and socks, waiting for an explanation.  I looked at Jeff and said this time quietly. “I sure hope you know what you're doing?”


Jeff said. “Better now than later.”


So I quickly stated. “It all happened when Gloria poisoned us and we died in the hospital. Jared somehow followed me, I am not sure if it was on purpose or by accident.” I paused waiting for a response by Jeff as Mom and Dad were trying to wrap their heads around it.


Mom said. “But you boys didn’t, die”


Dad corrected her telling her. “It was only for a minute or two. So technically they were both dead.” Somehow it seemed a lot longer than that, but I had to remember that time is different in between what some people call the veil. Or white light as you go into a tunnel.


I nodded and said getting the answer from Jeff that it was no accident. Yet I was told to keep that part a secret for now at the time because right now it wasn’t important. So I tried to explain that Jared is a newbie and hasn’t learned how or developed a connection as I had, and how it has taken me years to get too where I am now, but still considered a newbie in a sense what is totally possible; which opened me to more questions.


Mom wanted and a demonstration, I asked Jeff he was willing and nodded, that he could do that, as long as they kept it a secret other than ones he tells they can talk about with. Stating the obvious that people would think I was crazy or worst.


Dad noticed I was quiet longer then I did. I said. “Give me and Jeff a moment.” I saw the look on Moms face stating she thought it was nonsense and it was going to be harder to prove what I was telling her.


Dad, on the other hand, wasn’t as skeptical considering he has already witnessed what Jeff and I can do, and so has Stringum, Mrs. Olsen and Mr. Vincent plus Bishop Sakes and Bishop Earl. Ma was a little more receptive being able to see him and sometimes communicate with Jeff when it was important enough.


I smiled when I told Mom and Dad. “Right now Landan is arguing in the kitchen with Gregory over the state of his kitchen and chewing him out for dropping a box of eggs on the floor. In Italian, calling him something called torpe la scimmia, which means clumsy ape.


“Stringum has just confirmed reservation for him and them at fancy restaurant for lunch and wants Mom to help him pick out a ring for Dr. Sars and has sent off a telegram to the High Bishop to thank him for letting him know that there is large space big enough for 3 hundred in their building, and arguing with Tony over it stating it isn’t safe.


“But Tony said that it would be if he would only consider changing Wednesday party to a costume party so he and his team can blend in undetected.”


I stopped and waited holding my finger up and grinned said. “Stringum will receive some disturbing news the moment we arrive in Heber that High Prissiest has been murdered and her body found hanging in the High Bishop office, but her head will be missing and placed on his house doorstep. Causing him to question the members of Tony’s team, but will find out that it wasn’t any of them it was the other woman, causing the High Bishop to cancel the Tuesday social, but re-extend his dinner invention for us to join him for dinner instead.


“To find out if we were responsible. Then finding out moments later three more of his members have been murder by the woman who killed the High Prissiest sending him a videotape of them being killed and warning him that he is next.


“Mom is thinking that she should have worn the blue dress that goes better with the shoes she is wearing,” Watching her eyes open in surprises.


Telling them Stringum is knocking on the door in 1.2 … We all heard someone knocking on the door. I told Mom and Dad to discreetly ask Stringum and Landan if everything I said was true, all except about the High Prissiest. And ask Stringum if Tony could join us today before Stringum asks him after he says ‘this is a fine kettle of fish.’ Mom quickly told Dad to answer the door while she changes into that blue dress.


She said, “Me and you son are going to have a very long talk.”


Dad quickly opened the door and said. “We been expecting you, I understand we have found a new place to hold our party on Wednesday, that idiot took the bait and I agree with your man Tony that it should be a costume party and it would be to our benefit.”


Mom peeked to see the retraction as Stringum and Tony looked at them being so caught off guard. Stringum eyes narrowed at me as he rubbed his chin. Dad said. “It seems our friend has decided that he is coming with us. So for that too happen unless any of you can speak to our ghostly friend we have no choice but to invite him and my son along today.


Stringum said, ‘this is a fine kettle of fish,’


Mom quickly said. “Yes, I think that’s an excellent idea Tony should come with us.” Tony gasped and looked at Stringum, Mom and then narrowed his eyes on me asking how they knew he was thinking that.


Stringum said. “His friend Jeff been spying on us how else would he know about the telegram and my answer, did you happen to see anyone else in the study when I wrote that telegram?” Tony looked at me and shook his head. Stringum said. “I’ll explain on the way, it’s going to be a very interesting day.”


Dad said. “You can say that again.” Landan met us at the bottom of the stairs as the elevator opened allowing Dad to push me, and Mom patted his cheeks and said. “Its only eggs Landan and I happened to like how did Gregory say it? Oh yes, torpe la scimmia,”


Mom said. “I like clumsy apes. I married one.”


Landan gasped. “So that’s what that means. But how did you know…?”


Stringum said. “His friend Jeff told them.”


Stringum quickly explained what he wanted Landan to do while were we gone given Tony a chance to leave instructions with his team members here and on the phone as Stringum went to grab our breakfast while we waited for our ride to warm up, stating we would be only going to the airport and board one of his private Jets that should be waiting for us, to take us to Texas having Dad remind him that we needed to go his workplace first and Mom needed to turn in her work and give them notice.


Stringum waved it off and said. “Yes, yes I am just saying that we won’t be going far in the chopper. Oh that reminds me Landan, make sure someone meets Dave and Jody at the hotel and bring them here instead of going to Heber and have a car waiting for us at Mr. Rothwell’s house in Highland, and make sure we send out the invitations for the party explaining it will be costume party and that attire should be colonel dresses for the ladies and tuxes for the men, and order masks or have them bring their own or both. And make sure that you included the change of address which is on my desk and I apologizes for the mishap and the short notice.”


Landan said, “Stringum I know how to make the arrangements for a party, I have been doing it for 15 years.”


Stringum said. “Did I tell you to give yourself a raise?”


Landan handed him his coat and hat telling. “Yes and I keep telling you, you pay me too much then I deserve.”


Gregory handed him a large picnic basket before Stringum made it down the hall. Stringum smiled when he opened it and said. “You’re the man, Now make sure my guests are well taken care of and put Shawn and Arthur to work, but don’t turn your back on them for a second. Or you might find a knife in your back.”


Landan said. “Not with these they won’t,” showing him the bracelet on his wrist. Dad pointed to his watch stating we needed to go, knowing how Dad hates to be late for anything.


The chopper was roaring up the cold wind and the powder-like snow. Stringum cursed as we waited for Tony and was about to hurry him along, but instead Tony beat him carrying a large metal briefcase. Stringum said. “Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something.” Quickly opening it Mom and Dad gasped seeing it full of cold hard cash, and several envelopes, Stringum stated. “I think 250,000 should cover what we need today.” 


Mom gasped. “And what are we buying with that kind of money may I ask?”


Stringum’s said. “Friends?” He didn’t elaborate instead he closed it and set it between his legs as we took off into the air as we watched everything below us become tiny little dots that reminded me of Christmas lights.


Stringum asked if my friend Jeff was riding along I asked. “Depends what you mean riding along.” Mom looked at me wanting to know that answer. I said pointing to my head and my heart. “He’s in here, but not here.”


Mom said. “You know son that really creeps me out because I don’t know if you are crazy or just extra special.”


Dad said. “I’ll go with extra special,” and put his arms around me as he kissed me on the head.


Tony was waiting for an explanation, but Stringum said. “Let’s talk when our teeth aren’t chattering.” Noting he was colder than the rest of us, yet he was the only one wearing a thick winter coat.


It wasn’t long flight as the chopper set down in the middle of Dads field; Mom said. “I am really going to miss this place.”


Dad kissed her and said. “I know because we raised all our children here, but its time Karen, our children are living the nests and so the house is empty and waiting for someone else to fill it.” Stringum helped me across the field with my wheelchair. It was easier because the ground was almost frozen solid.


Mom said. “First thing on the list is winter clothing,” as her teeth chattered as we hurried to the limo. Wishing we had a moment to walk the house. In some ways, I was glad we were moving because, of all the bad things that happened in it. Yet there were many good things as well.


Dad gave the driver the address to his workplace as a chopper pilot and the driver helped with Moms boxes of work and my wheelchair. I really was beginning to hate that thing, but the only good thing about today’s trip I didn’t need to wear a mask or needed the leg braces. Considering today I could be myself, well mostly seeing my hair.


Mom and Dads were back to the original color. Mine wasn’t because Mom hadn’t the time to re-dye it when we would have to redo it anyway for tomorrow and Wednesday, plus it was going to be my new permanent hair color for the next few months. I smiled thinking about how my mother and my grandmother were going to freak out when they see it.


Mom and I rubbed our hands and placed them under our arms, as Stringum ordered the driver to please turn up the heat. Mom said. “We’ll stop at wall-mart for some warmer clothing before we go to the airport,” Stringum said. “I have better idea well stop a sports center at the mall and buy them instead. I plan to be nice and toasty before we get on the plane, besides were going to need to look like were made of money not looking like people that shop at bargain stores for clothes that will not keep us warm when the temperatures drops in Heber.”


Mom didn’t like the idea of flashing cash to impress, but she wasn’t the one that was running the show. Mom said. “As long as we are all toasty warm I am not going to complain.”


Stringum said. “Best advice yet, for today, man I swear it’s got to be 30 below out there,”


Driver said. “It’s only 50 degrees,”


Jeff said. “It’s not the temperature, its something a lot worst.”


I asked him “what could be worst that could cause this.”


He said. “Giving your soul to the devil comes with a price.”


I informed Stringum what Jeff said. He asked “how does he think we should move forward without getting involved. And for his information, none of sold our souls to any devil we were forced to participate.”


Jeff said; “stopping it from happening in the first place.”


I said. “Jeff we can’t, if we do that then people like me and my brothers will die.” Jeff made one suggestion and even though I didn’t really believe in it. It sounded a hell of lot better coming from him.


He said, “Stringum needs to join the church and be baptized, and Mom and Dad and everyone else need to seek help from a Bishop they can trust.”


I said. “We trust Bishop Sakes and Bishop Earl.”


He said. “But they aren’t your bishop any longer. I can’t tell you who you need to see, but I can guide you to him, only if Stringum agrees to be baptized and your adoptive parents return to the days when they were strong in the church. That person will make himself known. Now tell him and pray he listens.”


I hated the fact that I had to believe in something like religion the same religion and its people who have turned me away, the same religion and its people who have ignored my pleas of help, causing me to question if God really exists and answer prayers. The only proof I have is Jeff, but it was either that knowing if the devil is real there is a strong chance that God is real. In any case I rather not sell my soul to the devil or watch my bests friends be taken into the point that none of us can go back.


I am not saying I believe in prayer, or that God cares about me in any way. But losing my soul and bring in the devil frightens me even more. Stringum and everyone waited for my answer. I as I looked out the window and wrestled with my self; finally I said. “Stringum you're not going to like the answer, but Jeff tells me we either stop and not go any further or we realize we need something to balance out the sickness that is trying to take over us if we stay on the path we are on regardless of the good we are doing.”


I paused wishing I didn’t have to mention religion, but I didn’t want any of us selling our souls. So I dug deep and said. “I don’t like it, but Jeff says the only way to prevent this sickness that is slowly taking over you is that you needed to join the church where you can be baptized, and participate in our church teachings. Too plug up the hole and shield you from the darkness.


“I am no missionary and I don’t plan on being one, nor do I believe hold hardily in all of its teachings. But the ceremony you participated in yesterday even though it was forced and it was the only way to save our lives. Is still going to affect you, even Mom and Dad and our friends in someway are going to feel the effects, but unlike you where we have already been baptized in the church according to Jeff. Mom and Dad and our families are going have to reconnect with God, and the things that made it the forefront before Crawford tainted it for us.”


Mom started to cry and Dad held her, as they both looked at me. 
I waited for Mom and Dad to tell me that I am an idiot and I don’t know what I am talking about.  But instead, Mom said. “And the child shall lead them.” I could feel the blush on my cheeks, as I turned away and looked out the window. I felt stupid and betrayed by my own feelings regarding the church and what it meant to me.


Stringum surprised me and said. “Thanks for being honest, I should have realized it that I can’t go up against the Dark side without having a bigger stick. So being baptized is what your friend is suggesting. I think I can live with that.”


I said. “It’s not that easy, because you have to believe in God, and you have to believe in repentance and most of all prayer. You know my feelings when it comes to that. The only thing I know without a doubt is Jeff would never lie to me. If he says for me to get on my knees and pray, I may kick and scream and throw an epic fit. But in the end, that’s would I’d be doing if it meant saving my family and friends and my soul. Just like you said we have to have a bigger stick to kick some major dark a*s and send it where it belongs.


“Trust me it’s not the cold we are feeling, we are feeling the effects of what’s going to be like not having a soul. And according to Jeff, it’s only going to get worse and then we will be too numb to feel it. I personally rather not feel that numb. So think about it then get on your hands and knees and ask for help. Jeff says when we do that, that help we need will come.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on May 25, 2019
Last Updated on February 12, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep