Preparing For Battle  Part 1

Preparing For Battle Part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 175

Preparing For Battle

Part 1


It wasn’t a long flight too where we were going as Tony kicked off his shoes and leaned back his chair to take a quick 2-hour nap. I too closed my eyes for that duration after having a nice hot breakfast and was toasty warm inside the plane; leaving Mom and Dad to discuss our future regarding the move, and how to handle Crawford and his threats. Even Jeff was silent doing whatever he does when he not busy taking care of me.


I had gotten quite used to him being gone, that it really didn’t bother me. After all, I wasn’t in any real danger unless the plane decided to crush or we were expecting a zombie attack when we landed. Then again I wasn’t sure what to expect considering I had never been too Texas before, only knowing it was going feel like it was still summer. I questioned if Stringum would still be cold with the temperatures being in the range of 85 to the high 90, yet there was very little I could do for him. Even Jeff has given all the advice he was willing to give regarding what he must do.


Personally, I didn’t really have a lot of stock in it, but it was better to have at least some protection against dark forces then none at all, even if I didn’t have much faith in prayer and didn’t agree on many things the LDS church believed in. The satanic church was far worse, where they believed in sacrificing animals and humans, more so women and children. Yet I have learned that not all satanic churches do that anymore, and forbid that from happening.


Yet the ones that still do are the ones they have separated themselves entirely from their teachings, mixing other religions within to make it more appealing. Stringum had acquired a large amount of data from books on the subject starting with the founded principals and foundation of when the satanic church made its self re known was on April 30, 1966, by Anton Szandor LaVey, being known as the first above-ground organization. But as far as witchcraft, black magic and sacrifice it started or wasn’t made known until the late 17 or 1800s known as the Salem witch trials. 


It wasn’t until the 19th century that it had started to pop up in our society, but laid hidden in the underground movement. Then made it above ground with Anton Szandor LaVey around 1996 with a brand new bag of tricks and a new bible, and abandon the practices of the old world. Yet there are those that still practice it like one Stringum and our little merry band of trouble makers are trying to take it down. In hopes that by doing so we are doing something to protect our families and loved ones.


The moment we touched down another limo was waiting for us, watching the driver hand Stringum several telegrams. Telling us that Jody and Dave have arrived at his estate, and so has my teacher Mrs. Hothner; as well as our two nurses. Which most likely won’t need anymore, depending on the outcome of the schools that Jared and I would be soon be attending. After the fall break which we still haven’t worked out the details. The list keeps growing of all the things we needed to do, Yet Landan and Stringum have managed to juggle all of it, and now that Dave was back, Stringum could breathe a little by putting some of his responsibilities on him like running his day to day business.


Stringum asked if my friend was still willing to help, I shrugged my shoulders stating that at the moment he wasn’t with us, Stringum cringed. “Well let’s just hope we don’t need him,” Tony asked if this happens a lot. I nodded it was.


Tony said “I see… better then nothing I guess.” Removing his Jacket and slipped into is sneakers like I had done and the rest of us. Stringum was the only one that hadn’t gone back into summer clothing, wearing his long thermal underwear and think pairs of socks and warm boots, and heavier long sleeve shirt. Noting he would truly look out of place wearing a snowman suit when the temperature is 90 plus degrees. Mom looked very nice in her blue dress leaving her heavier clothes on the plane; like the rest of us.


Stringum gave the driver the address of the school we were visiting, not that it mattered considering Mom and Dad had already decided that Shawn was indeed going to attend, even though it would be further away then Arthur’s. It was far better than letting Crawford’s people getting hold of him. Stringum quickly made several calls using the phone inside the limo either to his estate or touching base with the clients we were seeing today.


The fact that it was little after 1 when we touched down didn’t bother Stringum like it would have with Mom or Dad regarding our clients, but again money played a large part of that, the clients would wait until doomsday if necessary with the kind of cash they were throwing around. Stringum quickly had the driver stop at the bank to replenish what we had so far had already spent.


Going over the details with Landan regarding Wednesday party, making sure the roses, the food, and decorations were taken care of; telling Landan that now that Dave had arrived to let him take over making our guests are taken care of. Telling him to take a chopper and fly out if necessary and allow Tony’s team to set up surveillance, reminding him to stop at the schools in Heber and see about arranging a meeting sometime tomorrow. And be sure to pick our completed school work and books so Mr. Tomas and Mrs. Hothner have something to teach with.


Stringum hangs up the phone and took several breaths asking me if Jeff had come back. I shook my head no and Stringum frowned stroking his chin telling me he’d feel a lot more comfortable if he was with us. I shrugged my shoulders and stating that he has a mind of his own. Tony snorted said. “Who doesn’t?” The school was huge compared to most schools, as we were directed to the office. I hated the fact I had to be back in my wheelchair, then again I hadn’t really had to use it since the mall and for that brief moment, I felt normal again.


We were greeted by the headmaster where he narrowed his eyes on me, like a cat that was approaching its prey, he didn’t smile when he said. “This must be the young man you that your thinking about attending my fine school. You should know that I don’t play favorites just because you are in a wheelchair you’ll get no sympathy from me. I run a tight school and don’t…”


Mr. Stringum said cutting him off. “Mr. Walens. This is Eric Rothwell their adoptive son. The one they are considering in enrolling his adoptive brother Shawn Rothwell who I have spoken to you on the phone about.”


Mr. Walens a very big enormous man that could make the incredible hulk cry to his mommy. After beating him into the ground with one arm tied behind his back and not even breaks a sweat. With those steely blue eyes that held no warmth in them or the face that terminator had that looked like it was chiseled from steel as he towered over us as a figurehead of the jolly green giant. Cracked a smile if you called more of a snarl than a smile, put out his hand so I could shake it, quickly apologized nearly breaking my hand with a very firm grip.


I waited for Jeff to tell me that this man before me was in league with those crazy sick people instead there was nothing but silence. I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Tony and Stringum waited for me to indicate that he was, but gave not even a hint as I looked for any signs, finding none.


Mr. Walens didn’t ask the reason I was here other than to say that I too would be a very good fit here. Dad said. “Thanks, but I think Shawn will be more of a challenge then my son Eric is.”


Mr. Walens said. “I like a challenge; I have never met my match when it comes to boys and few wayward girls.”


Dad said. “You will find our son Shawn anything you most likely haven’t encountered,”


Drawing Mr. Walen's full attention stating. “Drugs, alcohol, stealing, lying and running away or even talking back is quite common with boys his age. I assure you, Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell. That won’t be a problem here. We don’t allow bullying, of any kind and drugs, would be most difficult to come by as if you haven’t noticed that we are quite far from any major town, and no one gets outside or inside these gates unless we allow them.”


Dad said. “Yes, I am quite aware of that, but Shawn can be quite resourceful which has me to be a little more concerned.” Mr. Walens brought us to his office and asked if we like anything coffee tea, soda.


Stringum’s said. “Hot chocolate if you have it if not coffee would be fine. I am not quite used to the weather changing from cold to hot so quickly so forgive my appearance. I am an old man that can’t seem to stay warm these days.” Mr. Walens shrugged it off as nothing eyeing the silver briefcase knowing that there were large sums of money in it after we had been properly searched for drugs or any kind of weapons. Stating everyone that enters these doors are searched to prevent problems he had already discussed. I was a little surprised that he didn’t have us stripped searched.


Mom and Dad passed off as nothing more than routine considering they used to do it with all there foster kids daily, but that too had stopped when in regards to me. Yet in regards to Shawn and Arthur, it was a whole different matter. He quickly stopped in front a woman at the desk telling her to bring us our desired drinks and plate of something that I would enjoy like most boys alike plate of freshly baked cookies, which never goes wrong.


We all took a seat, well except for me considering my mode of transportation, as they all rode up with me in the elevator. That required a passkey. Indicating that everyone else took the stairs which would have been no easy task for anyone, even for most athletes would groan seeing them as we made our way up to the fourth floor where the main offices were looking over the large campus.


I noticed quickly that I wasn’t the only one in a wheelchair. Or had some handicap or another as they participated in a game of Soccer, which even the boys and girls in wheelchairs participated in. Mr. Walens asked if I would like to join them I said. “No, I am never been into sports since after the accident.” 


He placed his hand on my shoulders and leaned down and said. “Just because you’re in a wheelchair doesn’t mean your helpless son.” I eyed the field and the boys really wanted to play, but I couldn’t because I wasn’t here to play I was here finding out if the satanic church had a foothold here.


I shook my head no and moved away from the window and placed myself next to Dad. Letting Mr. Walens sit behind his large cherry oak desk that looked like something my Pa would have made seeing the fine detail and craftsmanship. I fingered the carvings missing the feeling of a good piece of wood in my hands. I stopped when Mr. Walens noticed me telling me that one of his brightest students made it for him.


Stating he too was a trouble maker and one of his hardest to deal with, but in time they became good friends, and very good student, going from a failing disruptive student to student that has made the honor roll and valedictorian and has been able to capture the eye of a craftsman’s, making homespun furniture making a very nice living. Now has a respectable family and now sends his boys here. He pointed to the young man on the wall where several of them hung. It was quite impressive.


Stringum paced along the wall noticing them telling me that Dave went here showing his picture on the wall, which surprised me, causing Mr. Walens to ask. “And how is my man Dave doing if I might ask?”


Stringum grinned ear to ear. “Quite well, he is a fine young man and works very hard running my most of my business, in fact, he’s planning to marry Mr. Rothwell’s daughter.”


Mr. Walens leaned back in his chair stippling his fingers said. “I am glad to hear that, I have some more boys you might be interested in. That will be graduating at the end of the year.”


Stringum took his seat and said. “Oh, I am interested, quite interested. Perhaps you and I could go over it once we conclude our business.”


Stringum opened the briefcase and handed a large folder with Shawn’s name on it, including a videotape. I cringed seeing it, Mr. Walens put to the side and opened the file flipping through the file. His eyebrows knitted together, but he remained calm.


Stringum said. “Not the quite the challenge you are used to, but Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell is quite desperate. Everything they have tried hasn’t worked. Like Mr. Rothwell pointed out Shawn can be quite resourceful. One the main reason I suggested this school because of the many challenges he has demonstrated and most lately has been under the influence of a satanic cult. Hoping that they haven’t gained a foothold here, considering the limit able resources inside these walls.”


Mr. Walens flipped the through the pages and frowned stroking his chin, said. “I am not aware of any, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t any.”


Stringum said. “One of the reasons I have brought Tony along if you might recall another student that has gone through your academy.”


Mr. Walens nodded. “I am quite aware of the fact and heard through the grapevine that he has made a name for himself. I was a little saddened that he turned down a  job offer here at this academy, teaching some of our boys that could learn some of his unique skills.”


Stringum said. “One the reasons he is here to use those skills to ferret out those that are in a league of the satanic cult. And this young man that I have also brought with us also has another unique gift where he sees things other people like Tony might have missed.” 


Mr. Walens narrowed his eyes on me and said. “Oh, so he is more than he seems. Excellent would he be interested in a small demonstration?” I looked at Stringum and he shrugged his shoulders. Mr. Walen's said. “No needed to be shy young man.” I cringed linking with Jeff almost praying, knowing that so far he hasn’t made himself known and seldom comes when I call him. Then I was surprised when he appeared the moment I called him.” I asked as I linked with him.


Jeff nodded and said. “No problem.” I pretended to focus as I looked around the room.


Watching Jeff walk the area of the room; Mr. Walens asked what I was doing. 
Tony said. “Reading the room.”


I seemed like forever as Jeff kept me wondering. Finally, he said. When he stopped and I breathed a sigh of relief, “behind that wall there is a small room that leads to a set of stairs.”


Mr. Walens said. “Yes, but can you tell me how you knew that?”


I smiled as Jeff told me as I wheeled myself over to where Jeff was, I said. “The worn carpet in this space and the fourth book from the right is out of place, compared to the other books along the wall are in alphabetic order; except that one where it is written in Latin. Plus the small hint of dust that is along with the other books, but not in front of that one.


I reached up and pulled the book causing Mr. Walden to gasp as I stood up and pulled the book back. Hearing a soft click as the door of books opened up. I regained my wheelchair, moved back into positions as Jeff helped me, giving some intimate details of Mr. Walens.


I stated. “Your mother's name is Helen, and your Dad died during Vietnam, your single, but you’re considering marrying the woman downstairs, that we had passed when we rode up in the elevator. You are a devout Christian and only attend mass often enough to satisfy your mother.


“But the woman you want to marry is LDS and has two young sons. For breakfast, you had bratwurst with mustard and sauerkraut.” I made a complete circle around his desk and returned to my place by Dad watching Jeff make himself comfortable on the couch. Pleased with himself as if it didn’t take a lot of effort; chiding me that it wouldn’t hurt me any to join the boys down in the yard.


I smiled as Mom looked at me as if she had never seen before, but she was quite pleased that I had proven that I could be quite remarkable. I waited as I watched Mr. Walens as he narrowed in on me asking me once more how I came to those conclusions. I simply said being a smart a*s. “I am right?”


Causing everyone but him to laugh, said. “Yes, but I am very curious about how you made those deductions.”


I quickly restated each one. “The smell of perfume from the woman downstairs matched the same that is on your suit coat and the lipstick that was on your cheek that hasn’t quite been washed off.


“The picture on her desk of her two boys, and the undergarment under her dress shown through just enough too say she is LDS and had been through the LDS temple. Her ring finger where a ring used to be was lighter than the rest of her finger. You had no ring on your finger or tan line or skin color indicating that you have ever worn a ring on that finger. On your desk is a picture of your father and your mother. One is more recent than the other. The name on the sweater she is wearing has her name on it and around her neck, she carries a silver cross indicating she was Catholic and I could see you had one as well seeing the imprison of the cross.


“On the left side of the wall by the door, on the top shelf is folded flag inside a glass case, which you received when he was buried with a military funeral. You spilled mustard on your sleeve but hadn’t cleaned properly and I could smell the sauerkraut and bratwurst with the hint of toothpaste. I knew it had to be from breakfast because I could smell the cafeteria and it said they were serving French dip sandwiches.” I remained quiet as I waited for him noticing that once again I had surprised him and Mom, even Tony was quite impressed.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on May 25, 2019
Last Updated on February 12, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep