Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapter 1

© Lizzie 2003-present

 

+*+Flashback+*+

Seven year old Alexandria sat next to her grandmother as they put the final touches on the blanket, “Your blanket turned out very nicely, Lexi.” her grandmother said, “Your mom will love it.”

            Alexandria smiled, “You think she will?”

            “I know she will, sweetie.” Her grandmother said, “Now quickly put it in the box and take it to her.”

            Alexandria nodded her head and found the box, “Auntie Tiff took me to the store yesterday and I found a nice pink box to put the blanket in.” Alexandria said as she put the blanket in it.

            “As long as it’s from the heart, she’ll love it.” Her grandmother said, “Now, hop to it. She may be done opening her gifts.”

            “Why won’t you come down and join us?” Alexandria asked as she fixed the bow on the box

            “As long as your father is down there, I’m staying right here. I don’t want to ruin your mother’s day.” she said, “I’ll be down for dinner though.”

            Alexandria kissed her grandmother’s cheek and smiled, “Okay, Nana.” she picked up the box, headed out of the room and down the stairs to the family room where her mother and the rest of the family were celebrating her mother’s birthday.

            “Mom! I have another gift for you!!” Alexandria said rushing to her.

            Tina looked up and smiled at her daughter, “Another gift? Well let me have it.” Alexandria stood in front of her mother and handed her the box, “It’s heavy, what is it?”

            “You have to open it.” Alexandria said with a smile.

She watched as her mother opened the box and smile when she took the blanket out, “I love it baby! Did you make it yourself?”

Alexandria nodded her head, “Nana helped me, but I did it all by myself.”

“Come here and give me a hug baby.” her mother said stretching out her arms. Alexandria got closer to her mother and hugged her

+*+End of Flashback+*+

Alexandria sat on the bench at the foot of the bed and trying her hardest not to cry. Twelve years was quickly approaching and she was missing her mother more and more. She blinked her eyes a couple times telling herself that she had to be strong for her sister, but the more she thought about it, the harder it was for her to be strong about things. She gave up on being strong and let the tears fall. She sat on the bench silently crying.

Some time later, there was a knock on the door and the person came in. “Lexi, dinner’s…are you okay sweetie?” Noel asked walking to Alexandria.

“I miss my mommy so much Elle.”

“We all miss her sweetie.” Noel said wrapping her arms around Alexandria.

“Why did she have to die?” she said hugging her tightly.

“I don’t know, but she’s not suffering anymore and that’s a good thing, right?”

Alexandria sniffed and rubbed her eyes, “It is, but I still miss her.”

“We all do.” Noel said again, “Your sister is waiting in your room and wants to know if you’re going to eat with us.”

“I’ll be down in a minute.” Alexandria said as she stood up, “I want to get some things in here together for when I move to my new apartment.”

Noel nodded her head, stood up and walked out of the room, “Come as soon as you can, you know how quickly Chinese food lasts with us.” she laughed.

Alexandria shook her head and laughed at Noel. She went to the closet looking for a box large enough to put the blanket in. She found on sitting on the top shelf. She carefully took it down, walked to the  bed and neatly placed the re-folded blanket in it. She recovered the box and walked down the stairs to her room joining Shia and Noel.

+*+

            Alexandria stayed with her sister at their father’s house for three days. They worked together on packing up their mother’s room and placed the boxes in storage.

“What are you going to do with the boxes?” Shia asked

“When I get my new apartment, I’m going to put some of the things out. If Erik still leaves like he said he is, then I’ll put the rest of it back in her old room.”

“Lexi, I’ve been wondering…why do you call dad Erik?”

Alexandria shrugged her shoulders, “Ever since mom died, I stopped calling him dad. He wasn’t acting like how I thought a dad should act.”

Shia nodded her head, “I almost called him by his first name and he said I was to never call him that.”

“You can call him whatever you want to call him.” Alexandria said, “He’s never been a father to you, so why should you treat him like one?”

Shia nodded her head again and looked at her watch, “It’s getting late. I have to be back in the house by the time he gets home.”

“Then I’ll take you home. I have meeting with my realtor in a couple hours and it’s going to take me about two hours to get to her office.”

“You won’t move too far away will you?” Shia asked as they got into Alexandria’s car and headed back to the house.

“Not too far. A couple miles away at the most.” Alexandria pulled up to the driveway, “I’ll call you if I find a nice place.”

“And you’re going to take me shopping tomorrow, right?” Shia asked as she got out the car. Alexandria nodded her head, “I’ll see you tomorrow, Lexi.” Alexandria watched as her sister ran up the driveway and to the house. When Shia got to the porch she turned around and waved before opening the door and walking in.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

There were a couple of things I think you could improve on. First, I don't think a woman of her age would still call her mother "Mommy." It felt kind of out of place. Also, "Alexandria sat on the bench at the foot of the bed and trying her hardest not to cry." = change trying to tried.

This chapter gave us more information about her mother and starting moving us into her apartment change. Can you give us a little more information as to why she wanted to move in the first place? It seems like it's to be closer to her sister but it would be better if you could tell us a little more specifically.

Great job! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
1 Review
Added on February 26, 2008
Last Updated on February 26, 2008