Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Lizet Elaine

Between Lovers

Chapters 9

©Lizzie 2003-present

 

“Jake…minus the just.” he said with a laugh as they walked to a private garage, “This car is my baby.” He punched in a code on a keypad and the door opened, “I fixed her up last year and I couldn’t bring myself to sell.”

Alexandria watched as the door opened and her eyes went wide; a smile tugged at the corners of her lips, “1957 Mustang. I’m very impressed” she walked to the car and lightly ran a finger along it.

“And turned on?” Jake said with a laugh. Alexandria turned and looked at him, “I’m only asking. The way you said the name of the car. I’ve seen that look in many a woman eyes.”

Alexandria laughed, “So sue me. Cars turn me on just a bit.”

“Riight. A bit.” Jacob said with a smile, “I’ll get you the keys, then I’ll see you tonight?”

Alexandria was too wrapped up in the car to hear what Jacob said. She was brought out of her thoughts when he returned with the keys to the car. She smiled and took them, “I promise I won’t dent her.”

Jacob laughed, “I know you won’t.”

“Let me give you my number and if anything comes up between now and the time we meet for drinks you can call me.” Alexandria said as she reached in her purse and pulled out a business card and handed it to him.

Jacob took the card and smiled, “Can’t I call just to hear your beautiful voice?”

Alexandria laughed, “You can call but since there’s an emergency meeting I have to go to, I doubt I’ll answer.”

Jacob nodded his head, “Gotcha. I won’t keep you any longer. Five p.m. at Pitney’s?”

Alexandria nodded her head, unlocked the car door, “Five. I may be a little late since my sister wants me to stop by and see her.”

Jacob opened the car door for her, “There’s no hurry.” He closed the door as she started the car and pulled out of the garage, “Don’t hurt my baby and I won’t yours.” he said with a laugh. She smiled and drove out of the auto shop’s parking lot.

Three hours later, Alexandria was packing up her office. She’d just finished talking with her bosses about her new job interview that she was going to have in a couple of days. She thought they would be more understanding of her wanting to follow her dreams of being a dancer since she’d been dancing since she was a little girl. Instead of understanding, she was faced with cold stares and the Vice President of the company telling her that she could pack her things right then. Alexandria didn’t know how to feel about everything that was told to her in the meeting. She was paid many compliments, but following those compliments were harsh insults.

‘Youngest associate they’ve ever had and I don’t even get a second glance.’ She thought to herself. She wrapped her many diplomas and awards in newspaper and placed them in the box that she pulled from the closet. She stacked the pictures she had lining her desk in her tote bag and finally set her two green plants on top of the open box.

Placing her tote and purse on arm she balanced the box in the other while she quickly walked to the door and turned out the light. “Good ridden…” she said out loud. She pulled the door closed and began walking down the hall to the elevator. On the way she passed a few of the people she worked with. Some of the looked at her and other turned their backs on her.

“It’s okay, I don’t need any help.” she mumbled to herself. She set the box on the floor near the elevator and pushed the down button then waited for the elevator to get to her. While she was waiting she heard someone call out her name.

“Alex…wait.” the person yelled out.

She rolled her eyes and turned around, “What do you want Phillip?”

“Everyone in the department saw your departure coming and we pitched in to buy you something.”

“Yeah, well, you can give it to the next person who comes along.” she said turning back around when the elevator belle sounded. She bent down to pick up her box and Phillip grabbed it for her.

“Despite what you may think, there are people who are sad to see you go.” he said walking with her into the elevator. They stood in silence as the elevator descended the fifteen floors to the basement parking. The doors opened and they walked to the car Alexandria was in.

“Thanks, Phillip.” she said softly. She opened the passenger door and he placed the box on the seat and closed the door. “Sorry about snapping at you earlier…and for all the times that I’ve snapped at you.”

Phillip laughed, “It’s okay. We know the stress the V.P.s put you through.” he said,  “All we’re asking is that when you become this big famous dancer, you remember the people you first worked with who always knew you would succeed.”

“I better see you at all of my performances too.” She said as she walked to the driver side, unlocked the door, got in and he closed the door.

Phillip nodded his head, “I’ll pass the information along.” he moved away from the car as she started the engine.

Alexandria gave him one last smile before pulling out of the parking spot and out of the basement parking. Once at the exit, she gave the guard her parking pass and keys then drove off.

           The first stop Alexandria made way to see Catherine to tell that she wanted to move into the Commodore as soon as possible. Then she drove to her apartment, didn’t take any chances and parked the car in a private garage that only she had the key for. Then she asked the doorman to help her with her stuff. He said that he would so they made their way up the stairs to her apartment. She tipped him twenty dollars and he was on his way.



© 2008 Lizet Elaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on February 26, 2008